Zelda Breath of the Wild DLC?

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Zelda Breath of the Wild DLC?

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 14th, 2017, 1:41 pm

I was reading how Breath of the Wild will be the first Zelda title with post-lauch DLC.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/02/ ... aunch-dlc/

I have mixed feelings about this. I hate DLC but Nintendo has a reputation for releasing "complete" games which can stand on their own, so I don't think I'll feel shortchanged.

Still, it's clear that the DLC being offered probably would have been part of the game if the DLC concept didn't exist.

Thoughts?

Atariboy

Re: Zelda Breath of the Wild DLC?

Postby Atariboy » February 14th, 2017, 4:53 pm

While I'm not sure about DLC Pack 1 or the day 1 season pass benefits that sound pretty flimsy (A new shirt?), DLC Pack 2 sounds right up my alley.

What I can't help but wonder is how a certain departed member around here would've spun this as a positive after years of crusading against things like DLC passes, just because it's suddenly Nintendo that's doing it with one of their flagships. Would've been entertaining to see, in a twisted sort of way.

VideoGameCritic wrote:Thoughts?

Nintendo handled it so well with Mario Kart 8's economically priced DLC that significantly upped the track roster and character roster with great additions (Without sacrificing the core game which still shipped with 32 great tracks and didn't feel lacking in the slightest for content), that I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and assume that this isn't nickel and diming us or taking away core features that traditionally would've been bundled in with the game.

Speaking of Mario Kart 8, you likely never experienced the DLC knowing your stance on such things. I hope you consider grabbing Mario Kart 8 Deluxe with the DLC bundled in on the cartridge. I can't speak praise high enough for the quality of the 16 new tracks that the DLC brought to the base game and it's great to see it become available at retail on the Nintendo Switch .

They're some of the best circuits in Mario Kart history, in my opinion. Would be a shame for a Mario Kart fan like yourself to never get to enjoy them.

eneuman96

Postby eneuman96 » February 14th, 2017, 6:23 pm

Nintendo usually only starts working on DLC after they complete the main game, and BOTW went gold some time ago. At the very least, it's admirable that they don't resort to selling you separate parts of what should be a complete game like EA and Ubisoft love to do.

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » February 15th, 2017, 11:13 am

The 1st DLC pack sound stupid, but the 2nd sounds promising maybe. If this game is the open world masterpiece they keep talking about, adding new story lines to it would be pretty great, especially since we probably wont get another Zedla until the next Nintendo console comes out.

We will see how expansive they are when they come out, as god forbid Nintendo release major details about their product prior to launch.

Return to “Modern Gaming”