RIP 3DS/PS Vita 2011-2017

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Sonicx9

RIP 3DS/PS Vita 2011-2017

Postby Sonicx9 » April 3rd, 2017, 2:38 pm

http://nintendoeverything.com/aeternobl ... -campaign/

It does look like the 3DS/PS Vita are on their last legs in the wake of this games cancellation for the 3DS/PS Vita versions in favor of PS4/Xbox One/Nintendo Switch versions.

I am calling it by the end of 2018/early 2019 range the PS3/Xbox 360/3DS/PS Vita support will 100% go away by then!

It would be interesting to see if more games follow suit in the wake of this situation?

Atariboy

Re: RIP 3DS/PS Vita 2011-2017

Postby Atariboy » April 3rd, 2017, 5:24 pm

Never even heard of it, so I don't see the significance of it.

Vita is already all but dead in this country, but even there, I fail to see the significance in this announcement for the type of support it has been receiving for quite sometime. Why would Limited Run Games for instance kill off plans to release some quirky Japanese exclusive release in physical form in this country just because some small Kickstarter backed indie game cancelled plans for a Vita version?

And as for the 3DS, we'll talk if something like Ever Oasis is cancelled for the 3DS and shifted over to the Switch. But as of right now, Nintendo is acting and talking like they have plans for this past 2017. Until we start to hear of cancellations of Nintendo published content or reach the point where nothing is even on the release schedule, I don't see why this one couldn't live past 2017 on a smaller scale.

Heck, lately it has been having some of the best hardware sales it has seen since it was 2-3 years old, even though I believe it's now six years old. Don't see Nintendo being in a rush to move it out, especially when the Switch really isn't a 1:1 replacement for it due to its size for the folks that actually take advantage of the portable nature of their handhelds (Which sure isn't me).

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » April 3rd, 2017, 7:40 pm

Atariboy wrote:Never even heard of it, so I don't see the significance of it.

Vita is already all but dead in this country, but even there, I fail to see the significance in this announcement for the type of support it has been receiving for quite sometime. Why would Limited Run Games for instance kill off plans to release some quirky Japanese exclusive release in physical form in this country just because some small Kickstarter backed indie game cancelled plans for a Vita version?

And as for the 3DS, we'll talk if something like Ever Oasis is cancelled for the 3DS and shifted over to the Switch. But as of right now, Nintendo is acting and talking like they have plans for this past 2017. Until we start to hear of cancellations of Nintendo published content or reach the point where nothing is even on the release schedule, I don't see why this one couldn't live past 2017 on a smaller scale.

Heck, lately it has been having some of the best hardware sales it has seen since it was 2-3 years old, even though I believe it's now six years old. Don't see Nintendo being in a rush to move it out, especially when the Switch really isn't a 1:1 replacement for it due to its size for the folks that actually take advantage of the portable nature of their handhelds (Which sure isn't me).

It is not going to happen over night with things being cancelled in favor of more powerful hardware, you need to wait 6 mounts to a full year before we start seeing it become in full swing. Because this is kind of similar to what happen to the PS3/Xbox 360 versions of 2015 Dying Light game getting doped in favor of 8th Gen/PC only because of hardware limitations. But one notable differences, it was originally supposed to be released for both the 3DS/PS Vita respectively in 2016. But in the wake of the Nintedo Switch being released/the declining support of the 3DS and especially the PS Vita. This is not too surprising this is happening, as we may slowly start seeing others following suit in the near future?

BanjoPickles

Postby BanjoPickles » April 6th, 2017, 2:55 pm

I've honestly considered the 3DS to be dead since they chose to discontinue the VC in favor of supporting the service on their sinking ship (Wii U). What really stinks is that they've killed the service TWICE, first when they pulled the plug on releasing any further NES games (seriously? I understand that securing licenses takes work and all, buuuut---Startropics AND it's sequel are first party titles that were released on Wii U!). The second time they killed it was just recently. They haven't released any Super Famicom games for N3DS in Japan since November, and it's been since late December in the states and Europe! Once again, it's understandable that licenses are difficult to secure, even though I guarantee that they could have secured Squaresoft's 16-bit catalog with a bit of back-and-forth. After all, they had to have been paid a royalty for every NES Classic that flew off shelves, and there are 60 million 3DS owners, many of whom would have chomped at the bit to play the SNES version of Final Fantasy VI (the GBA port was great, but the music was inferior) or take Secret of Mana on the go! It makes no sense because Vita sold a FIFTH of what the 3DS did, and Square put most of their 32-bit library on the service, along with the remake of Final Fantasy Adventure! If that wasn't bad enough, they pulled the plug before they even took the time to release some of their most requested games! Super Mario RPG? Kirby Superstar Saga? I can understand that Starfox would have been too much work, given the complexity of the FX Chip, but there were huge holes that they didn't bother filling in. I understand that it's buyer beware, and I've probably complained about it far more than I should have, but the inclusion of SNES VC support was the sole reason why I upgraded to a N3DS, and they gave it their usual half-hearted effort!

The Vita is great as a retro/indie device. Sadly, had the price of the memory cards been more reasonable, and had the system launched with more interesting software, the Vita could have had one heck of a future and could have built upon the promise of the PSP. Sony, for whatever stupid reason, gave up on it so quickly, which is shocking considering that they usually do an amazing job supporting their gaming devices.

Anyway, both had great games and proved to be very solid systems, even if they fell short of the handhelds that preceded them (The DS is still my all-time favorite system!). It's sad, because this may be the last time we see two dedicated gaming handhelds for some time (I'm not counting the Switch, even though I probably should).

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » April 7th, 2017, 10:09 pm

To be honest with you by 2017 standards if you consider this the 3DS launched in early 2011 worldwide, and the PS Vita launched in late 2011 in Japan, with the west getting it in early 2012. The 3DS is already 6 years old by the time the Nintendo Switch came out, and the PS Vita is over 5 years old if you go by the Japanese launch. Both machines are aging and outdated compared to more powerful smartphone/tablet devices that came out post the 3DS/PS Vita launches. So they are going to be on their last legs starting this year, and especial next year and beyond if the Nintendo Switch does outsell both the 3DS/PS Vita in the long run, go figure?

gametime

Postby gametime » May 27th, 2017, 9:08 am

Can't speak for the PS Vita. Unless Nintendo made a dedicated system just for Pokémon, it would seem logical that a new Pokémon game every year would keep the Nintendo 3DS handheld going.

Crazy as it sounds, I know folks that have bought a PS 4, Xbox One or a 3DS for just one particular game.

JWK

Postby JWK » June 3rd, 2017, 10:58 am

I've never heard of this indie game, either. I'm sorry but basing the imminent deaths of the 3DS and Vita on one kickstarter game is kind of silly.

I still regularly buy games for the Vita. Believe it or not, tons of games are still coming out and plenty will continue to come out through 2018. Yes, most of the titles won't be recognizable to all but the hardest of the hardcore JRPG, visual novel, dungeon crawler nuts, but they're still coming at a steady clip. Even more recognizable names like Ys 8, Danganronpa 3, Windjammers and a sequel to Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth are coming between now and Q2 2018. As mentioned, Limited Run Games puts out a couple games a month for the Vita. Heck, I just learned this week a side series to the incredible visual novel Steins;Gate (called Chaos;Child) was *just* announced. Just because Sony doesn't care about the platform doesn't mean other developers don't. When *that* support starts drying up, then you'll have something to talk about.

As for the notion that support will 'die off slowly' for the platforms, isn't that describing every gaming platform ever? Publishers release games until the interest and sales no longer justify production cost.

But Sony just quietly revealed that the PS3 will no longer be produced, so that one's actually a confirmed death.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » June 4th, 2017, 5:48 pm

JWK wrote:I've never heard of this indie game, either. I'm sorry but basing the imminent deaths of the 3DS and Vita on one kickstarter game is kind of silly.

Not only is it silly, it's completely out of touch with reality.

The 3DS just came off its best year in years a few weeks ago with the first annual increase in hardware sales since 2012 and the first increase in software sales since 2013. Yet he's telling us that the cancellation of some Kickstarter game that nobody ever heard of is the death knell for the 3DS?

I don't think so.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » June 6th, 2017, 11:17 pm

Nintendo sure doesn't think it's dead.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/0 ... ase_on_3ds

I've never played one of these games, but the success of this franchise is undeniable and these will be two of the best selling games of 2017 and keep hardware sales for the system healthy for another year.

scotland

Postby scotland » June 8th, 2017, 1:53 pm

more 3DS news for Persona and JRPG fans - Atlus has 3 games coming for the 3DS in the next months. There are 2 remasters of DS games - Radiant Historia and Shin Megami Tensei Strange Journey - and a new Etrian Odyssey game, V Beyond the Myth.

Return to “Modern Gaming”