R.I.P. NES Classic (Thanks, Nintendo!)

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
ActRaiser

Re: R.I.P. NES Classic (Thanks, Nintendo!)

Postby ActRaiser » April 24th, 2017, 11:03 pm

BanjoPickles wrote:There's a really good article on Game Informer's website that addresses the ridiculousness of Nintendo pulling the plug on the NES Classic. Part of the problem, as stated by the author, are Nintendo apologists;

Your post made my day. I get to blame appologists for ruining Nintendo. That's beautiful. Nice to know it's all Steer's fault. I'd love to read how Nintendo gets DLC right in Zelda. IMHO it's the most anti-consumer DLC possible. Good times. The game is wonderful but I'm not buying the DLC for it.

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » April 25th, 2017, 9:13 am

ActRaiser wrote:
BanjoPickles wrote:There's a really good article on Game Informer's website that addresses the ridiculousness of Nintendo pulling the plug on the NES Classic. Part of the problem, as stated by the author, are Nintendo apologists;

Your post made my day. I get to blame appologists for ruining Nintendo. That's beautiful. Nice to know it's all Steer's fault. I'd love to read how Nintendo gets DLC right in Zelda. IMHO it's the most anti-consumer DLC possible. Good times. The game is wonderful but I'm not buying the DLC for it.

I picked up the DLC, just because. Its actually the first DLC I have ever purchased. So far, its crap. The 3 chests you get right at the beginning are worthless. A switch shirt (stupid AF), and ruby, and something else thats useless that I dont remember.

Gonna be supper bummed if the rest of the DLC is equally as garbage.

What I find supper hilarious are people that complain about how bad the DLC is, but then buy every Amiibo at $15 a pop. Its the same thing, but people justify it because you get a little mcdonalds toy to put on your shelf. I will admit, I purchased 3 Amiibos. 2 pixelated Marios and a Pixelated Link. They were on clearance for $5 at Wal-Mart. They look cool, and I am ok with getting 3 for the price of 1.

MoarRipter

Postby MoarRipter » April 25th, 2017, 10:53 am

Rookie1 wrote:What I find supper hilarious are people that complain about how bad the DLC is, but then buy every Amiibo at $15 a pop. Its the same thing, but people justify it because you get a little mcdonalds toy to put on your shelf. I will admit, I purchased 3 Amiibos. 2 pixelated Marios and a Pixelated Link. They were on clearance for $5 at Wal-Mart. They look cool, and I am ok with getting 3 for the price of 1.

I like how the Amiibos look on a shelf in the game room but I agree that the idea of locking DLC behind them is BS. I used to complain about COD raising the prices of DLC packs from $10 to $15 and higher but Nintendo has put DLC for Zelda behind $150 worth of Amiibos, talk about greedy! The part that really sucks about that is the same old scalper story with everything Nintendo makes, certain Amiibos that are out of print, such as the Shiek amiibo go for at least $80 used and the scumbag scalpers know they'll get it because the Zelda nuts playing BOTW have to have it. It's ridiculous. Nintendo could make more of those amiibos, knowing they would be useful for BOTW, they could've ramped up production before the game released, but in their typical manufacturing ineptitude they just don't give a crap, they don't think things all of the way through.

It's because of Nintendo's stupid business practices that I smile when people come out with NFC cheat devices that allow them to essentially pirate 100+ Amiibo codes with a $50 NFC tag or phone app or however people are getting around the Amiibo paywall now. If Nintendo would make all of the Amiibos plentiful and readily available for MSRP it would be a different story but when they lock content behind a physical toy with no other way to pay them to unlock it and they are perfectly content with letting scalpers charge $90 for a $13 toy that they refuse to stock inventory on then I say to the masses "pirate away!" It is 100% Nintendo's fault that this kind of Amiibo piracy is happening in the first place.

Voor

Postby Voor » April 25th, 2017, 12:44 pm

Part of the problem are guys like me. I grew up with a NES and SNES and 64 and GameCube, and have NEVER owned a PlayStation or Xbox. Never tempted aside from Shadows of the Colosuss and Halo.

So, I don't consider myself a fanboy (didn't get a Wii or U), but Nintendo does Ok with people like me, who are happy with the system and 4-5 quality games from their franchises. I'm not a Zelda freak, so BotW hasn't been too tempting, but I can feel Mario Kart 8 Deluxe calling my name...

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » April 25th, 2017, 4:41 pm

Initially producing a small number of units makes since to me. What would've happened if Nintendo decided to produce millions of Virtual Boys in anticipation of high demand? Overestimating ET's demand hurt Atari so badly they never recovered, and that game was a top 10 hit, if memory serves. That's an oversimplification, but there are other examples. Glover 2 was never released because the publisher overestimated demand for the 1st game; it sold as well as any other N64 game, but they expected to sell more. ADV overestimated demand for the anime they licensed, and had reorganize as several different companies. Underestimating is safer than overestimating.

As for the NES-Mini...I don't know. I've enjoyed some Atari & Sega plug-n-play systems, but I'd rather have something with interchangeable media. Still, the system was a runaway success; discontinuing it makes little sense. Nice for collectors tho, if they already have one. :) I don't. :/

Tron

Postby Tron » May 2nd, 2017, 9:01 pm

I agree with all the criticism about Nintendo on this thread. It would be easier for me to overlook this particular issue if it were a first or isolated incident. Unfortunately Nintendo loves scalpers. The Nintendo apologists remind me of the college professors that think they know better than everybody else just because they say so.

Return to “Modern Gaming”