Alan Wake Being Removed from Digital Stores

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Rev

Alan Wake Being Removed from Digital Stores

Postby Rev » May 13th, 2017, 8:35 pm

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/05/12/ ... g-licenses

So, another great success story of physical vs. digital games. Alan Wake is an amazing title and will be removed from digital stores here soon and is on sale via Steam for $3 for the last 48 hours it is available. Apparently, the music licensing is expiring. If you want a cheap copy of the game (the physical release is still pretty cheap as well) pick it up while you can.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Alan Wake Being Removed from Digital Stores

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 13th, 2017, 11:19 pm

I think a lot of lazy gamers out there are seduced by the convenience of digital media, but when it comes to value for your money you cannot beat physical media. When physical media goes way all new games will be vaporware.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » May 14th, 2017, 6:29 am

The DLC expansions are free on the Xbox 360 right now, by the way.

Maddeningly, I had to change email addresses since my old one wasn't usable, and doing so did something they call resetting my security information. Apparently this reset takes 30 days and that won't be over until June 3rd, and in the interim, I'm not allowed to make purchases on Xbox Live. Yet the DLC is being delisted in a few hours.

I'll still be able to buy the base game on disc in the future, but unless they re-secure the music licenses and get this relisted (Which they seem to be hopeful of doing), I'll never have the choice of experiencing the expansions. And even if they do, I doubt they'd be free...

scotland

Postby scotland » May 14th, 2017, 7:38 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:I think a lot of lazy gamers out there are seduced by the convenience of digital media, but when it comes to value for your money you cannot beat physical media. When physical media goes way all new games will be vaporware.

That Nielson report on video gaming that just came out had a tidbit that PC gamers prefer digital over physical like 3:1, but console gamers still prefer physical media 2:1.

David

Postby David » May 14th, 2017, 10:53 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:I think a lot of lazy gamers out there are seduced by the convenience of digital media, but when it comes to value for your money you cannot beat physical media. When physical media goes way all new games will be vaporware.

So if I'm lazy for preferring digital games, does that make you a hoarder?

I'm almost completely digital with all my game purchases now. It started when I got back into PC gaming about five years ago, but has now extended to console gaming as well. When it comes to saving money, sure, physical media is better. I prefer the conveniences of digital. I like having all my games instantly available. I strongly dislike clutter. I have over 60 games for my PS4, 30 for the Xbox, 30 for the Vita, and a growing collection of Switch games. I absolutely do not want 100s of pieces of plastic sitting around in a cabinet, shelf, or rack, gathering dust and being an eyesore around the house. I like being able to play games on release without having to go to the store or having something shipped the next day.

Another argument is always "what happens when the servers disappear?" I also own about 100 digital PS3 games. I've never had a game disappear, and the console is over a decade old. The only time where I've had something completely disappear off an online store is P.T., and that was a demo. I'm not really going to worry myself about losing a handful of my digital collection in 20 to 30 years, and really be kicking myself that I didn't have a bunch of crap stored away somewhere in case I really wanted to play Resident Evil 7 in 2030.

I get the benefits of physical gaming because I preferred it at one point. But there's also a side to the conveniences of digital that expands beyond laziness. You can't bring anything with you to the grave.

Sorry for the tangential rant to the actual topic.

velcrozombie

Postby velcrozombie » May 14th, 2017, 1:10 pm

I just bought Alan Wake from GOG.com with its DLC for 3.99. I can copy it to a disc or hard drive on demand and make as many backups as I want - can you do the same?

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 14th, 2017, 1:44 pm

I apologize for using the word lazy!

I sometimes forget that price and convenience is a big deal for gamers who just want to play something right away and have little desire to play the game again after a few months. And it can save a lot of space.

I guess there will always be a trade-off between physical and digital, and every gamer's situation is different.

shootingstar

Postby shootingstar » May 16th, 2017, 12:45 am

If there was one good thing that came out of all this, it's that it allowed me to discover this excellent game. It's now one of my favorites.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » May 16th, 2017, 6:04 pm

I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but the publisher knocked the price down to $2.99 on Steam to allow people to grab the title before it is delisted. As shootingstar mentioned, Alan Wake is a classic and should be in every PC or Xbox owner's library.

Rev

Postby Rev » May 16th, 2017, 7:28 pm

Yeah honestly, pick it up. The game is one of the best survival horror games of last gen. Doesn't matter if you get it physical or digital, pick it up.

I wonder if the physical games will bump up in price because of this...

Return to “Modern Gaming”