Skyrim on the Switch

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Voor
Posts: 1180
Joined: April 14th, 2015, 8:08 pm

Re: Skyrim on the Switch

Postby Voor » February 2nd, 2021, 8:06 pm

I rented this because between my issues with first person games and (motion sickness) and history of not liking open world games, I thought I may play it for an hour, decide I hate it, and move on.

But I have to say....I’m kind of enjoying it. I’ve heard it said that it’s easy, which to me sounds like “accessible”, so I’m much more likely to play this than take the time to “git gud” in a dark souls game.

Anyway. I’m gonna spend a few days with it and decide whether to purchase or send back.

In terms of all the discussion in this thread, I don’t really care one way or another. New games or old ports, if they’re entertaining, I’ll give it a shot.

BlasteroidAli
Posts: 716
Joined: April 9th, 2015, 7:50 pm

Re: Skyrim on the Switch

Postby BlasteroidAli » February 3rd, 2021, 4:40 am

Voor wrote:I rented this because between my issues with first person games and (motion sickness) and history of not liking open world games, I thought I may play it for an hour, decide I hate it, and move on.

But I have to say....I’m kind of enjoying it. I’ve heard it said that it’s easy, which to me sounds like “accessible”, so I’m much more likely to play this than take the time to “git gud” in a dark souls game.

Anyway. I’m gonna spend a few days with it and decide whether to purchase or send back.

In terms of all the discussion in this thread, I don’t really care one way or another. New games or old ports, if they’re entertaining, I’ll give it a shot.

You can play it third person you will be glad to hear.

Tron
Posts: 655
Joined: April 9th, 2015, 8:02 pm

Re: Skyrim on the Switch

Postby Tron » February 4th, 2021, 1:09 pm

I had planned on getting a Switch & starting a new play through of Skyrim on it. Portability is groovy kindofcool, but ultimately the Switch version still comes up short.

Why does it come up short? The answer is mods. The Switch apparently doesn’t support much in the way of mods. Mods on the PS4 aren’t the end-all beat-all sort of thing, but they definitely spice the game up a bit & I really appreciate them. I would’ve liked portability, but since we’re all on lockdown anyway that makes the Switch even less necessary.

Voor
Posts: 1180
Joined: April 14th, 2015, 8:08 pm

Re: Skyrim on the Switch

Postby Voor » February 4th, 2021, 1:20 pm

Motion sickness hasn’t been an issue for me this time. So strange how that works.

I’m not really that concerned about mods—game is big enough as it is. Lol

Tron
Posts: 655
Joined: April 9th, 2015, 8:02 pm

Re: Skyrim on the Switch

Postby Tron » February 4th, 2021, 1:25 pm

Voor wrote:Motion sickness hasn’t been an issue for me this time. So strange how that works.

I’m not really that concerned about mods—game is big enough as it is. Lol



For a first play though mods aren’t necessary, but if you love the game like I do & are on a 2nd or 3rd run then you’d really appreciate them.

User avatar
MSR1701
Posts: 562
Joined: April 29th, 2019, 7:53 am

Re: Skyrim on the Switch

Postby MSR1701 » February 4th, 2021, 2:32 pm

Aside from loosing the Mod options, how does the Switch version of Skyrim perform? Any good?

Voor
Posts: 1180
Joined: April 14th, 2015, 8:08 pm

Re: Skyrim on the Switch

Postby Voor » February 5th, 2021, 9:36 am

I think it’s great. Between this and Witcher and a few other ports, the switch has surprised folks with its ability to handle “big” games.

User avatar
noah98
Posts: 314
Joined: June 27th, 2015, 6:59 pm

Re: Skyrim on the Switch

Postby noah98 » February 6th, 2021, 7:26 am

Skyrim on the Switch looks great and plays extremely well. The pro controller works exceptionally well with this game. Having it portable is also so amazing.

I play heavily modded Skyrim on pc, and it's still my favorite game of all time. However, I have a ton of hours on the Switch version as well. There's something nice about having the complete game, including DLC, all on a small cartridge.

User avatar
DrLitch
Posts: 526
Joined: July 19th, 2017, 12:57 pm

Re: Skyrim on the Switch

Postby DrLitch » February 11th, 2021, 11:46 am

I have Skyrim on the Switch. It is quite an old game now, released at the back end of the 7th generation. Certainly runs better on the Switch than on, say, XB360 or PS3 but the Switch port would be a long way from being my choice of medium for playing this game. Hard to be overly bowled over with it considering Skyrim is not far from a decade old at this time of writing. 900p/30fps for a game released in 2011, hmmmmm.....

ThePixelatedGenocide
Posts: 725
Joined: April 29th, 2015, 9:06 pm

Re: Skyrim on the Switch

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » February 12th, 2021, 10:11 pm

DrLitch wrote:I have Skyrim on the Switch. It is quite an old game now, released at the back end of the 7th generation. Certainly runs better on the Switch than on, say, XB360 or PS3 but the Switch port would be a long way from being my choice of medium for playing this game. Hard to be overly bowled over with it considering Skyrim is not far from a decade old at this time of writing. 900p/30fps for a game released in 2011, hmmmmm.....


It works for me.

There's something about curling up with a portable like a good book, and completely losing yourself in another world.


Return to “Modern Gaming”