How important is Mobile gaming?

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
scotland

How important is Mobile gaming?

Postby scotland » June 24th, 2017, 6:38 am

A new report by Newzoo (download link in article below). I don't know their methodology at all.
http://www.businessinsider.com/mobile-games-more-money-than-console-pc-chart-2017-6?r=UK&IR=T
Globally, China is the most important nation to video game revenues
The video game industy, worldwide, generated more than 100 billion dollars in revenue for the first time
Mobile gaming made up 42% of that revenue followed by consoles at 31%, and PCs at 23%

pacman000

Re: How important is Mobile gaming?

Postby pacman000 » June 24th, 2017, 9:23 am

I've always liked the convenience of portables. I could play my Game Boy while in the car or watching TV, anywhere really. Now that everyone has a portable device capable of playing games with them all the time, yeah, it's surpassed PC and Consoles' market shares. Amazed that the revenue is that much; most of these games cost $1 or less. Perhaps they cost so little no one notices they've spent so much!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 24th, 2017, 2:46 pm

I consider mobile games the fast food of gaming. Low in quality, but so cheap and convenient that just about everyone partakes to some degree.

Voor

Postby Voor » June 24th, 2017, 4:54 pm

I recently got a 2DS and I love it. The big reason is that 90% of the time when I play, it's 15-30 minutes at a time. So portable games fit my lifestyle more these days. I also really not like being tied to a TV. We only have one time in our home, so it's often unavailable, or being used by the whole family.

Because I like retro games 100x more than the modern stuff, I don't care a lot about graphics, hardware, etc.

Rookie1

Postby Rookie1 » June 26th, 2017, 1:18 pm

Never paid for a single game on my phone, ever. Probably never will.

I have quite a few hand-helds though, like the PSP, Gameboy, etc. Those are fun, but I rarely ever take them outside the house.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » June 26th, 2017, 8:46 pm

I am a person who has spent a chunk of money on mobile games. I bought the expensive (by mobile standards) ports of all the classic Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy games. The only one I'm missing is Dragon Quest 7. When they release it in the US, I will buy it immediately. I also have KOTOR and Jade Empire. Those are excellent ports I highly recommend.

The reason is that I can now play these games (which are some of my favorites) on the go without having to carry additional hardware. I also want to support future Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy games getting made and/or localized for the US.

scotland

Postby scotland » June 27th, 2017, 2:55 pm

In another angle, I see Motorola is making a line of snap-on accessories for one of their phones, from the usual battery pack to cameras, projectors and speakers. It seems that a snap-on controller would be possible that turns the phone into something better suited for gaming.

Return to “Modern Gaming”