This months's free PS+ games

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
DaHeckIzDat

Re: This months's free PS+ games

Postby DaHeckIzDat » May 30th, 2018, 5:25 pm

June's free games just got announced.

PS4:
Xcom2: I've heard good things about Xcom, but I've never played. I'll definitely check this out.
Trials Fusion: This looks like one of those physics based, vehicle based, obstacle course games everyone played for free in high school. Pass, probably.

PS3:
Zombie Driver HD: Top down racer with a zombie apocalypse theme. Pass!
Ghost Recon: Future Solider: It's a tactical shooter, and I'm not entirely sure what that means. Is it a turn based game like Xcom?

Vita:
Atomic Ninjas: Silly multiplayer fighting game. Might be fun.
Squares: Tile moving puzzle game? Nooooooooo.
Last edited by DaHeckIzDat on May 30th, 2018, 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » May 30th, 2018, 5:44 pm

DaHeckIzDat wrote:June's free games just got announced.

PS4:
Xcom2: I've heard good things about Xcom, but I've never played. I'll definitely check this out.
Trials Fusion: This looks like one of those physics based, vehicle based, obstacle course games everyone played for free in high school. Pass, probably.

Whoa, nice games this month. XCOM 2 is a must-grab freebie. The Trials series is well regarded too, so Trials Fusion could be worth a download. If you liked Trackmania a few months ago, then I think Trials is at least worth a shot.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » June 27th, 2018, 6:18 pm

July's free games were just announced.

PS4:
-Heavy Rain (Meh. Never cared for these "interactive movie" games.)
-Absolver (don't know much about this, but I've heard it's like Dark Souls: martial arts edition)

PS3:
Rayman 3 HD (might check this out. I've been wanting a good lighthearted platformer)
Decption IV: The Nightmare Princess (skimpily dressed anime girls who fight with Rube Goldberg traps? Whaaaa? Definitely giving this a try)

Vita:
Space Overlords (design your own planet that other players can invade and destroy online. will probably pass.)
Zero Escape: Zero Time Dilemma (adventure/puzzle/horror game. might try it.

Sut

Postby Sut » June 28th, 2018, 2:41 am

Always wanted to try Heavy Rain and Beyond Two Souls so glad they’ve both been on.
Just need to get around to playing them (and Bloodborne).

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » August 7th, 2018, 5:48 pm

August's games were just released today, and we've got a pretty good lineup this month!

PS4:
Dead by Daylight: horror themed online multiplayer game, where a bunch of "teens" have to accomplish individual goals while one guy playing as the psycho tries to kill them all. Looks fun, definitely trying.
Mafia 3: I don't know much about this beyond it being a mobster-era GTA clone. Might try it, might give it a miss.

PS3:
Serious Sam 3 BFE: Definitely trying this one out. Frantic, goofy run and gun FPS action in the same vein as classic Doom.
Bound by Flame: A dark fantasy action RPG. I've heard iffy reviews about this one, but I'll probably try it anyway.

Vita:
Space Hulk: Warhammer 40k themed, turn based strategy RPG. Might try it, might not.
Draw Slasher: Side scrolling action game. You use the tough screen to draw things to kill enemies. Pass!

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » August 8th, 2018, 10:04 am

Nice. I've considered buying Dead by Daylight before, so I'll definitely use this chance to pick it up. It's very similar to the new Friday the 13th game (i.e., it's an online multiplayer game with 1 overpowered killer [human controlled] vs. a team of weaker human controlled players), except that Dead by Daylight came out first and is generally considered a better game.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » August 8th, 2018, 1:49 pm

Unfortunately, the sudden flood of players seems to have broken their servers. One day since release, and it's already broken lol

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » August 13th, 2018, 10:00 pm

Finally was able to play Dead by Daylight. It's an interesting idea, but one that I think could be done a lot better. For one thing, its still buggy as hell despite being out for, what, close to two years now? The quick time event it springs on you whole fixing the generators never seemed to work for.me either. Playing as the killer sounds fun, but you spend 90% of the match wandering around aimlessly looking for the other players.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » August 16th, 2018, 6:47 pm

DaHeckIzDat wrote:Finally was able to play Dead by Daylight. It's an interesting idea, but one that I think could be done a lot better. For one thing, its still buggy as hell despite being out for, what, close to two years now? The quick time event it springs on you whole fixing the generators never seemed to work for.me either. Playing as the killer sounds fun, but you spend 90% of the match wandering around aimlessly looking for the other players.

Good to know. I downloaded it, but haven't had a chance to try it yet. I have a feeling it'll be the type of game I play once or twice, and then move on. Still, its "1 vs team" concept is fairly unique, so I want to at least try it out. How are the scares/tension? Do you feel like you're being hunted in a horror movie (like Friday the 13th), or is it just your standard deathmatch feeling?

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » August 16th, 2018, 8:28 pm

It definitely has its own unique feel. It doesn't quite feel like you're playing a horror game since the killer acts like he's controlled by a person (probably because he is). Oddly enough, though, it's the victims that feel like they have all the power. There are four victims and only one killer. The killer himself doesn't kill the victims, he just hits them twice to put them in a wounded state, and then carries them to a hook to sacrifice them. Problem is, other players can rescue victims from the hooks, which puts them back at half health. So they just have to send one person to rescue the player you just hooked while two others keep fixing the generators, and you're screwed. I've had several matches that just went in a loop of me hooking one person, then hooking the person who rescued them, then hooking the first person again after they rescued their friend, etc, while the other two worked on the objective.

You also don't know where the victims are, so I've spent entire matches just running around looking for them. It'll give you hints if one starts working on a generator, but it's anyone's guess if they'll still be there once you show up.

Luckily that only happens when friends are playing survivors together, because they can communicate with each other. When you play with randoms, they're usually uncoordinated enough that you can pick them off one by one assuming you manage to find them. But a cohesive team can absolutely destroy a killer, no contest. It bugs me because the killer should be the one with in power. A single overpowered player fighting a team of underpowered players. But it's the opposite, four overpowered guys working against a single bumbling idiot.

Return to “Modern Gaming”