This months's free PS+ games

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
DaHeckIzDat

Re: This months's free PS+ games

Postby DaHeckIzDat » August 29th, 2018, 4:49 pm

September's games were just announced!

PS4:
Destiny 2: Do I really need to say anything about this one? They're probably just trying to generate interest before they release the next big expansion they've been talking about. I thought the first game had pretty good combat (especially since I'm not a shooter fan) but not much else. Will probably try it out, but won't beat it.

God of War III Remastered: Again, needs no introduction. I don't really like spectacle fighters since my reflexes suck, so I'll probably pass.

PS3:
Another World: A remake of a classic sidescroller. I hear it's in the vein of the old Prince of Persia games, where it goes for realism rather than fun or ease of use, so you'll die if you fall five feet. Will probably pass.

Q.U.B.E: First person game where you solve puzzles by moving stuff. Pass!

Vita:
Sparkle 2: Zuma's Revenge gonna sue somebodyyyyyyy! (also, pass)

Foul Play: Streets of Rage style fighter with a stage play setting. Pass.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » August 30th, 2018, 2:39 pm

It's September already?? It feels like we were just talking about August's games a week ago...

That's a pretty nice lineup for the PS4. I almost bought Destiny 2 awhile back, but eventually decided I didn't have time for it. Activision has practically been trying to give the game away during the past few months, even offering new copies for under $10 on Amazon. And now they really are giving it away! Like you, I think they're hoping to hook players in before dropping something new for people to buy within the game. But I guess I'll finally download it when it's free. Meanwhile, I don't plan to play God of War III (I got bored during GOW 2, so maybe these games aren't for me), but it's still a nice game for them to offer for free. I wonder if Sony feels that the new GOW didn't sell well enough and they're hoping to reinvigorate it by getting people to play GOW 3.

DaHeckIzDat wrote:PS3:
Another World: A remake of a classic sidescroller. I hear it's in the vein of the old Prince of Persia games, where it goes for realism rather than fun or ease of use, so you'll die if you fall five feet. Will probably pass.

Give this one a shot. Another World is better known as "Out of this World" in the US, and it's deserving of classic status. It is a 2D platformer similar to Prince of Persia, but I prefer Out of this World over that. I didn't play this back in the day... I first played it on SNES about 10 years ago. And I was pleasantly surprised by it. It is really hard though - even with a walkthrough - so I eventually gave up. Then I bought this remake on the PS4 and finally beat it. Still very challenging though. Its gameplay is antiquated by today's standards, but I feel that the puzzle set pieces and uniquely silent storytelling still hold up. Will you love it? Probably not. But since it's considered a classic, it's at least worth a shot for the low price of "free".

Sut

Postby Sut » August 30th, 2018, 3:07 pm

I’m with Retro STrife on this one. Looks a very strong line up.

Regarding Another World this is the best version for newcomers as there are more checkpoints in relation to the original. Perhaps it gives the Critic another chance with it as well following his previous infamous review.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » August 30th, 2018, 9:13 pm

Yeah, Out of this World was awesome on the Snes.

Sure the controls sucked but the draw was the story and cinematics.

It doesn't get any cheaper than free. :D

Luigi & Peach

Postby Luigi & Peach » August 31st, 2018, 10:29 am

ActRaiser wrote:Yeah, Out of this World was awesome on the Snes.

Sure the controls sucked but the draw was the story and cinematics.

It doesn't get any cheaper than free. :D

Replace SNES with Genesis and I have to echo this sentiment. The game is surprisingly short, but can still keep you occupied for awhile. I wish I'd played the sequel.

Sut

Postby Sut » August 31st, 2018, 4:07 pm

Luigi & Peach wrote:Replace SNES with Genesis and I have to echo this sentiment.

Well everything is better with some blast processing :D

Luigi & Peach

Postby Luigi & Peach » August 31st, 2018, 9:57 pm

Sut wrote:
Luigi & Peach wrote:Replace SNES with Genesis and I have to echo this sentiment.

Well everything is better with some blast processing :D

I don't want to start a console war because despite having my Genesis I really enjoyed both systems, but your reply gave me a good laugh, Sut!

fod

Postby fod » September 1st, 2018, 12:36 am

Retro STrife wrote:It's September already?? It feels like we were just talking about August's games a week ago...

That's a pretty nice lineup for the PS4. I almost bought Destiny 2 awhile back, but eventually decided I didn't have time for it. Activision has practically been trying to give the game away during the past few months, even offering new copies for under $10 on Amazon. And now they really are giving it away! Like you, I think they're hoping to hook players in before dropping something new for people to buy within the game. But I guess I'll finally download it when it's free.

Yes...the Year 2 expansion is coming out in September. I found Destiny 2 to be more fun to me on PC than it was on the consoles; mouse and keyboard over controllers for any FPS or TPS, plus the bliss of consistently getting 140 frames per second on my rig. Not that D2 was a bad experience for me on PS4 -- I even had the original for Xbox One -- but once I experienced the PC version that was it for me.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » September 5th, 2018, 12:34 pm

On second thought, after seeing how many games I'd have to delete to make room for Destiny 2, I will not be downloading it and will instead continue to play the games I was already playing.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » September 5th, 2018, 12:42 pm

DaHeckIzDat wrote:On second thought, after seeing how many games I'd have to delete to make room for Destiny 2, I will not be downloading it and will instead continue to play the games I was already playing.

Lol the exact same thing happened to me!

Return to “Modern Gaming”