This months's free PS+ games

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Gentlegamer

Re: This months's free PS+ games

Postby Gentlegamer » September 21st, 2018, 8:37 pm

I'll be trying out Destiny 2 this weekend.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » October 11th, 2018, 12:47 pm

Hey where's DaHeck with our monthly update?? j/k... But it looks like Friday the 13th is one of the free PS4 games for this month. I was pretty pumped about that, because I've been interesting in that game since first hearing about it a couple years ago. It got mediocre reviews, partly due to several technical issues, but since then there have been a bunch of patches and the addition of a single-player mode.

I had held out on buying it (wasn't worth $30 for a glitch-filled game), but I'm looking forward to trying it now that it's free. Anyone tried it yet? Is it better or worse than its most similar game - Dead by Daylight? I'm hoping to give it a play by this weekend. Also, any other good free games this month?

Sut

Postby Sut » October 11th, 2018, 3:02 pm

Find this months line rather underwhelming compared to previous months. Don’t seem to be any ‘big hitters’ this month.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » October 16th, 2018, 7:19 pm

Just finished Master Reboot, one of this month's free games on PS3, and it was... weird. The premise is interesting enough. You're a person Matrix-ing themselves into the "Soul Cloud" where people can relive their memories for all eternity after dying, but a virus is corrupting the cloud's security program to go all Ring-murder-girl on everyone, and it's your job to un-screw up all your memories.

It's a puzzle game, but the puzzles can barely be called puzzles. With only a couple exceptions, they all consist of some variation of "find the thing that does a thing to the other thing." None of them were very fun, but most could be solved within a few minutes. The worst parts are when they make you do platforming, or throw death traps at you without warning. Random bookshelves will fall on you in the library stage. How do you know which ones will kill you? You walk up to them and see if they kill you or not. The "stealth" stage where you're stuck in an airplane while ScaryMurder.jpg walks up and down the aisle is terrible. The only place to hide is in the seats, and she can spot you from halfway down the plane. Sometimes she'll spot you for no reason at all.

The graphics are cell shaded, and everything looks like it's made of paper mache. The only level that was actually scary is the park, where the sense of cold and isolation actually works in tandem with the weird graphics. Everything else is just too cartoonish to be even mildly creepy. It'll try to startle you by making whoosh and bang noises at random times, but as far as I can tell they're not connected to anything happening in the game. Just a desperate attempt to try and scare you. It doesn't help that the virus apparently has a Satan complex, dropping lines like "I am a demonic force! You will burn in this digital hell while I laugh at you!" Friggin' tryhard.

And seriously, the game is weird! Never before has a game tried to scare me with rubber ducks! Repeatedly! It's about as intimidating as it sounds. And the cutscenes... good lord, the cutscenes! They look like somone drew them in Windows Paint! I tried to find a picture to share here, but the developers have wisely hidden them all. Rest assured, they are EASILY the ugliest things I've ever seen in ANY game.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » October 31st, 2018, 6:28 pm

November 2018's games were just announced.

PS4:
Yakuza Kiwami: A Japanese action RPG where you play as a yakuza (Japanese mafia) thug brawling your way through a crime drama that's half Godfather, half crazy kung fu movie THAT I JUST BOUGHT A COUPLE WEEKS AGO AND NOW IT'S GOING TO BE FREE WTF AAAAAHHHHHHHH

Bulletstorm: Full Clip Edition: Super gory scifi first person shooter that's supposed to pay homage to classic FPSs like Doom.

PS3:
Jackbox Party Pack 2: A bunch of board games with no online function. Might be fun if you have family/friends to play with, but I'll pass.

Arkedo Series: Tetris clone. PASSSSSS!

Vita:
Burley Men at Sea: I... don't know. It looks like some kind of choose your own adventure story? I legit have no idea what this game even is.

Roundabout: A top down driving game where your limo is constantly spinning. Might be fun, but probably won't play more than an hour or two.

scotland

Postby scotland » October 31st, 2018, 8:52 pm

DaHeckIzDat wrote:Vita:
Burley Men at Sea: I... don't know. It looks like some kind of choose your own adventure story? I legit have no idea what this game even is.

Burley Men at Sea? Oh, can't they let the Vita just die with some dignity

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » November 1st, 2018, 8:47 am

DaHeckIzDat wrote:PS4:
Yakuza Kiwami: A Japanese action RPG where you play as a yakuza (Japanese mafia) thug brawling your way through a crime drama that's half Godfather, half crazy kung fu movie THAT I JUST BOUGHT A COUPLE WEEKS AGO AND NOW IT'S GOING TO BE FREE WTF AAAAAHHHHHHHH

Not to make it worse, but it was actually leaked early last month (probably before you bought it) that this game was going to be free this month.

For years, I never bothered to look into this series, but it's hard to ignore now that each new Yakuza game gets great reviews. I've been considering trying one for awhile. This seems like a good one to start with, since it's a remake of the first game in the series. How have you liked it so far?

DaHeckIzDat wrote:PS3:
Jackbox Party Pack 2: A bunch of board games with no online function. Might be fun if you have family/friends to play with, but I'll pass.

I'm a fan of the old "You Don't Know Jack" trivia games, and used to have fun playing that back on the PS1. That series has since evolved into these Jackbox games and they sound interesting and get decent reviews, so I'll snag this one while it's free.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » November 1st, 2018, 12:45 pm

Retro STrife wrote:How have you liked it so far?

It's a mixed bag. The story is well told, but it's all in Japanese with no English voice acting, so you have to be okay with reading subtitles the whole way through. The fighting is amazing, but the segments in between the fighting are long and tedious. Check out the thread I made about games that waste your time for more on that.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » June 10th, 2019, 10:49 am

Although this thread has sort of died off, this month's offerings were too good to not post about. Free for PS4 in June are Borderlands: The Handsome Collection and Sonic Mania. I figure Sonic Mania is a must-play for a lot of us here, and this is a good chance to get it for free.

I bought Borderlands 1 & 2 on the Xbox 360, but never had a chance to play them. Maybe this will be my chance to finally play a Borderlands game.

As for Sonic Mania, I've been wanting to play it since it came out, but I decided to wait until I bought a Switch. I think the game is the same, but the Switch just seemed like a better fit for a Sonic platformer, so I was willing to hold off. But.. now that it's free on PS4, I can't turn that down.

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » June 10th, 2019, 4:01 pm

Really too bad Handsome Collection doesn't include Borderlands 1.

I've played through all solo on PS3... this may be a reason to play the Handsome games in co-op.

Just remember: Jack is the hero.

Return to “Modern Gaming”