This months's free PS+ games

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Gentlegamer

Re: This months's free PS+ games

Postby Gentlegamer » June 12th, 2019, 4:46 pm

My PS+ had lapsed, so I had to re-up it... anyone interested in co-op Borderlands?

PS+ 12 month subscription is on sale for $39.99 until 6/17 btw

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » August 27th, 2020, 1:46 pm

Wow. Fell off the ball here, didn't I? September's free games are...

Street Fighter V.
I'm not a big fan of fighting games, but I'll probably give it a try.

Player Unknown's Battleground.
Definitely giving this one a shot. I played enough Fortnite: Battle Royale when it came out for it to lose its appeal, but I'm still interested in the BR genre as a whole. As the game that officially began this unholy trend, maybe I can get at least a few hours of enjoyment out of it.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » August 27th, 2020, 2:27 pm

I used to forget to download my PS+ games, but I do it every month now. Either way, good to have this topic back. I don't have SFV, so this will be a good chance to try it out.

DaHeckIzDat wrote:Player Unknown's Battleground.
Definitely giving this one a shot. I played enough Fortnite: Battle Royale when it came out for it to lose its appeal, but I'm still interested in the BR genre as a whole. As the game that officially began this unholy trend, maybe I can get at least a few hours of enjoyment out of it.

I like PUBG just as much as Fortnite. In fact, I'd rank them 1st and 2nd after playing about 5 or 6 of the biggest battle royale games out there. But I suspect most people would find PUBG outdated today and not place it that high. The reason I rank it high is because of my unique hide-and-seek style of playing battle royale games (way more hiding than even the average conservative player). PUBG caters to that style better than any other battle royale, because the maps are absolutely huge and really allow the players to spread out. I can land somewhere obscure and feel pretty content for the first 10-15 minutes that I'm safe. And I would routinely finish in the top 10 (out of 100).. probably at a much higher rate than other players, even good players. Get this -- in my first 8 or so hours of playing PUBG, I had only killed 3 people! Yet I routinely finished near the top. To most people, that must sound incredibly boring. But as a huge fan of stealth games like Metal Gear Solid, that style is a lot more fun to me than running in guns blazing. Of course, I could never get #1 though, because I suck too much to win that final shootout...

Anyway, for anyone curious about the game, especially compared to Fortnite, I wrote more about it in this reader review and scored it an A- : https://videogamecritic.com/forums/view ... 12&t=17539

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » September 30th, 2020, 2:13 pm

October's free games have been revealed!

The first is Need for Speed: Payback (yawn)

The second is Vampyr, a gothic adventure where you play as a vampire doctor in Victorian London, choosing which of your patients to save and which to kill for your own survival. This one, at least, could prove interesting, especially for the Halloween season, but I've heard some mediocre reviews for it.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » November 6th, 2020, 4:56 am

A little late, but this month's free games are...

Middle Earth: Shadow of War: sequel to the hugely popular Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor, this acts as a sort of mid-quel between The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. Originally people hated this one because of the microtransactions that were implemented in a way that practically forced you to use them, but those have since been removed and the game is far better now.

Hollow Knight: GET IT GET IT GET GET IT GIT ET GET IT GET IT GET IT GET IT GET IT

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » December 2nd, 2020, 4:25 pm

December's free games are here! They're...okay, I guess?

Just Cause 4: the latest entry in the Just Cause franchise that got a surprisingly mediocre reception from what I've seen.

Rocket Arena: a cartoony 3v3 online shooter that's focused entirely around rockets, missiles, and other types of explosives.

Worms Rumble: hey, you know the Worms series? The fun party game that combines strategic turn based combat with silly slapstick action? Well, how would you like it if they got rid of all that and made it Super Smash Bros instead?! WHO'S EXCITED?!
...anyone?

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » December 3rd, 2020, 5:37 pm

I'm noticing a downtrend in the quality of these monthly games.. Rocket Arena is always a $5 game, so giving it away doesn't mean much. They gave away Just Cause 3 a couple years ago and I never got around to playing that, so JC4 (which has worse reviews) isn't a likely candidate. But thanks for pointing out the Worms game. They seem to have "hidden" that one, because I didn't see it offered in the PS+ section. I had to search it individually on the PS Store. Not sure if it'll be any good, but I'll at least save it to my library.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » December 3rd, 2020, 5:57 pm

I actually had a lot of fun with Just Cause 3. The parachute and wingsuit make it more run to get around than in something like GTA, and the amount of wanton destruction you can achieve while tearing down enemy strongholds is pure chaotic catharsis...chaotharsis? But yeah, Just Cause 4 really surprised me with how mediocre the reviews were. I might give it a try eventually, but since I have 3 I'm not in any particular hurry.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » January 27th, 2021, 6:49 pm

February's free games just got announced! And since I forgot to list January's games, I'll do that here too.

January:
Greedfall: an open world action RPG with a unique colonization-era theme. It reminds me a lot of Dragon Age: Inquisition, with the world being comprised of several secluded areas that you're free to explore. It also has a branching narrative based on what dialogue options you choose and what actions you take during the game. The combat is more like The Witcher 3, letting you control it directly. Definitely worth a look if you're into this genre!

Shadow of the Tomb Raider: I really don't have anything to say about this one. It's the latest game in the Tomb Raided reboot/prequel series, and it borrows heavily from other games like Uncharted (which you could say borrowed from Tomb Raider first).

If you're interested in these games, hurry and grab them! You only have until Tuesday of next month.

February's games are...

Control: made by the same people who did Alan Wake and Max Payne, but this time clearly taking inspiration from the SCP Wiki. It's a decent game. Nothing wrong with it technically speaking. I've gone on rants on here before about how let down I was by the story, but I might be the only person who cares about that, so give it a look.

Concrete Genie: Okay, honestly, I've heard about this game before, and I still have no idea what it is. What I know is that you're a kid who spray paints monsters onto walls to protect him from evil graffiti monsters. More than that, your guess is as good as mine.

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » January 28th, 2021, 7:11 am

DaHeckIzDat wrote:February's free games just got announced! And since I forgot to list January's games, I'll do that here too.

January:
Greedfall: an open world action RPG with a unique colonization-era theme. It reminds me a lot of Dragon Age: Inquisition, with the world being comprised of several secluded areas that you're free to explore. It also has a branching narrative based on what dialogue options you choose and what actions you take during the game. The combat is more like The Witcher 3, letting you control it directly. Definitely worth a look if you're into this genre!

Shadow of the Tomb Raider: I really don't have anything to say about this one. It's the latest game in the Tomb Raided reboot/prequel series, and it borrows heavily from other games like Uncharted (which you could say borrowed from Tomb Raider first).

If you're interested in these games, hurry and grab them! You only have until Tuesday of next month.

February's games are...

Control: made by the same people who did Alan Wake and Max Payne, but this time clearly taking inspiration from the SCP Wiki. It's a decent game. Nothing wrong with it technically speaking. I've gone on rants on here before about how let down I was by the story, but I might be the only person who cares about that, so give it a look.

Concrete Genie: Okay, honestly, I've heard about this game before, and I still have no idea what it is. What I know is that you're a kid who spray paints monsters onto walls to protect him from evil graffiti monsters. More than that, your guess is as good as mine.

I have been playing Greedfall, it is a bit slow going but so far I am enjoying it. Cool missions and setting, looking forward to diving into it more.

I bought Control last year when it was on sale due to the high praise it got in reviews. I played it for like 5 hours and then put it down just to pick it up again a few weeks ago. I put another 5 hours in and was bored out of my mind. My biggest problem was the combat which is very repetitive. Also the upgrade system which is slow moving and confusing as hell. So I deleted it, never to be played again. Very overrated in my book.

Return to “Modern Gaming”