This months's free PS+ games

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Retro STrife

Re: This months's free PS+ games

Postby Retro STrife » January 29th, 2021, 8:01 am

Oh great.. Got Control for Christmas based on all the Game of the Year awards it got.. Since then, have heard people say it's boring..and now it's free. :cry: That said, for everyone else, it seems like a better free game than a lot of the ones they've been giving out lately. I haven't started playing it yet.. and I might play Alan Wake first.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » January 29th, 2021, 8:34 am

Retro STrife wrote: I might play Alan Wake first.

I'd recommend that, actually. I won't spoil anything, but elements of Alan Wake do tie directly in with Control. It's not a sequel, but...you'd better just see for yourself.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » February 23rd, 2021, 5:09 pm

March's free games are going to be revealed any day now. Anybody got a prediction?
Personally, I think it's going to be Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night...because I just bought it last week and that's how these things always play out.

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » February 24th, 2021, 11:05 am

I have been playing Greedfall, it is a bit slow going but so far I am enjoying it. Cool missions and setting, looking forward to diving into it more.

I bought Control last year when it was on sale due to the high praise it got in reviews. I played it for like 5 hours and then put it down just to pick it up again a few weeks ago. I put another 5 hours in and was bored out of my mind. My biggest problem was the combat which is very repetitive. Also the upgrade system which is slow moving and confusing as hell. So I deleted it, never to be played again. Very overrated in my book.[/quote]

Well I put about 15 hours into Greedfall and then gave it up. Story was cool but the settings were all the same and I thought the combat was pretty boring. Plus, I got to a place where I was stuck and in order to progress I had to raise certain stats. Which of course would have resulted in grinding for like four or five hours, forget it. Glad I checked it out (it was free after all) but I would definitely rate this in the C- or D+ range myself. Did anybody else check it out? Would be interested in what others thought of this game.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » February 26th, 2021, 4:01 pm

March's games just got announced! Looks like we've got a really freaking good lineup this month.

Final Fantasy VII Remake: exactly what the title implies, it's a remake of the classic PS1 rpg Final Fantasy VII with current gen graphics and real time combat. However, it only consists of the first third or so of the story, making lots of people think a "Part 1" should have been in the title. Just in time too, since i just decided to finally play through the original.
(Also, Critic! This might be a good time to release a CERTAIN REVIEW YOU'VE BEEN LOOKING AT! Wink wink!)

Remnant: From the Ashes: a combination of a Soulslike and a third person shooter that works a lot better than it has any right to. I actually really like this one! Definitely recommended.

Maquette: a first person puzzle game where "everything that is tiny is simultaneously huge." It claims to take a very Escher-like approach to puzzle solving. I'll definitely at least check it out.

Far Point VR: a free roaming scifi shooter that is, you guessed it, exclusive to VR. Not having a VR headset myself, I'll have to pass on this one.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » February 26th, 2021, 4:27 pm

Yeah, definitely a very good lineup this week. As far as free games go, it's tough to beat FF7 Remake, since it was one of the biggest PS4 releases of 2020. Yesterday, Square Enix just announced a few new games from the FF7 universe (including a Battle Royale shooter on mobile), and an upgraded version of FF7 Remake for PS5 (complete with a new quest with Yuffie). I suspect this free release is meant to build new interest and new fans for the other upcoming games.

Remnant also got great reviews and sounds cool. Not sure that I'll get around to playing it, but sounds like a good free game.

I already own Farpoint for PSVR. It's an FPS set on a hostile alien planet, and significant for being one of the first FPS games on PSVR. I never played more than 10 minutes of it, because it gave my INTENSE motion sickness from walking around the environment. And, to be honest, it looks really crappy by FPS standard. It got by in 2017 by being the only FPS game in VR town, but there's much better options now.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » February 26th, 2021, 4:31 pm

P.S. Ratchet & Clank (PS4) is also a free game in March. It is part of Sony's Play At Home initiative - so it is free for everyone, even if you don't have PS+. For Play At Home, they are giving away one extra free game for the next 4 months.

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » February 26th, 2021, 4:46 pm

My PS+ is set to expire in June and I'm unsure if I will re-up, I will have to hurry up and play or try a bunch of games in the next few months. I will probably try to power through FF VII Remake.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » March 2nd, 2021, 3:18 pm

Okay, so Maquette is only free on PS5 this month, but the others are still available all around. And HOLY CRAP, that download size for FF7 Remake is MASSIVE!

Gentlegamer

Postby Gentlegamer » March 2nd, 2021, 5:23 pm

DaHeckIzDat wrote:Okay, so Maquette is only free on PS5 this month, but the others are still available all around. And HOLY CRAP, that download size for FF7 Remake is MASSIVE!

I'm downloading it now, 87 GB.

I have Star Wars Battlefront II from PS+ installed, it's 115 GB. Insane.

Return to “Modern Gaming”