This months's free PS+ games

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
DaHeckIzDat

Re: This months's free PS+ games

Postby DaHeckIzDat » March 3rd, 2021, 3:38 am

I downloaded FF7R and played through the Shinra reactor bombing. Does this game feel like a fustercluck to anyone else? I thought I was kicking butt until I suddenly got a warning that I needed to heal. I could never tell when I was being hit or from where, and the enemies are so small and the environment so dark that even when I was actively looking for them I had to rely on the lock on reticule to tell me where they were.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » March 3rd, 2021, 8:56 am

DaHeckIzDat wrote:I downloaded FF7R and played through the Shinra reactor bombing. Does this game feel like a fustercluck to anyone else? I thought I was kicking butt until I suddenly got a warning that I needed to heal. I could never tell when I was being hit or from where, and the enemies are so small and the environment so dark that even when I was actively looking for them I had to rely on the lock on reticule to tell me where they were.

For the opening mission it can be pretty confusing as you get your bearings. I definitely felt that way. But eventually I loved the battle system and the way it expertly married the old turn-based system of FF7 with modern action-RPG sensibilities. But like with a lot of RPGs, it takes some getting used to in the beginning. And personally, I was never a fan of fighting with Barrett until later in the game when you can ditch his gun and use a melee weapon. I stick mostly with Cloud, and a little bit of Tifa, early on - while occasionally sending commands over to Barrett and using him as a tank/healer.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » March 31st, 2021, 2:58 pm

April's games have just been announced!

On PS5, we have the latest sequel to Abe's Odyssey, Odyssey Soulstorm.

On PS4 we have a bit of a zombie theme going on. The first game is Day's Gone, a zombie survival game set in a massive sandbox, the main draw being that the individual zombies can band together to form massive undead mobs to chase you around the map.

Secondly, there's Zombie Army 4: Dead War, a mod for Sniper Elite 4 that, again, turns it into a zombie survival game set during WW2. From what I've heard, its functional but kind of wasted since Sniper Elite's greatest strength is, you know, sniping bad guys, and there's rarely a reason to do so when you're fighting zombies.

Voor

Postby Voor » April 1st, 2021, 6:14 am

As a fan of Oddworld, Soulstorm looks great. But I’ll have to wait for the Switch port, whenever that happens to come out.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » April 28th, 2021, 11:18 am

May's games have just been announced. They are...

Wreckfest: Drive Hard, Die Last (PS5): A racing/demolition derby game.

Battlefield V: As if you don't know what this is. An online multiplayer first person shooter set in WW2.

Stranded Deep: An open world crafting/survival game where you're stranded in the middle of a procedurally generated ocean. Find islands, explore underwater, and collect resources to build better tools and equipment until you find a way to get back to civilization. (You can probably tell this is the one I'm most interested in)

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » May 26th, 2021, 12:22 pm

June's free games are...

Operation: Tango (PS5 only): a two player stealth/espionage game.

Star Wars: Squadron (PS4): flight and dogfight simulator where you take control of a number of famous Star Wars ships.

Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown (PS4): an updated version of Sega's classic one on one fighter.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » June 9th, 2021, 6:04 am

DaHeckIzDat wrote:June's free games are...

Operation: Tango (PS5 only): a two player stealth/espionage game.

Star Wars: Squadron (PS4): flight and dogfight simulator where you take control of a number of famous Star Wars ships.

Virtua Fighter 5: Ultimate Showdown (PS4): an updated version of Sega's classic one on one fighter.

Wow!! Compared to the ones that a free on xbox, I am amazed at the great free games you get. Though that ps5 only game shows the way they want to go.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » June 30th, 2021, 9:55 pm

July's free games just got announced!

A Plague Tale: Innocence: a story about a teenage girl and her little brother fighting for survival against the black plague and the Spanish Inquisition. Think "The Last of Us" with rats instead of zombies.

Call of Duty: Black Ops 4: it's Call of Duty. Do I really have to explain it?

WWE 2K Battlegrounds: a fighting game featuring cartoonified versions of popular pro wrestlers.

EDIT: it looks like Plague Tale is only for PS5.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » July 28th, 2021, 6:16 pm

August's games were leaked early, but I waited until the official announcement to post on here. Next month's lineup is...

Tennis World Tour 2: literally exactly what it sounds like.

Plants vs Zombies: Battle for Neighborville: a team based shooter, kind of like Team Fortress 2 or Overwatch, based on the Plants vs Zombies games.

Hunter's Arena: Legends: I don't know much about this one, but I've seen it described as a medieval themed battle royale. Might be interesting, if only for a new type of BR.

DaHeckIzDat

Postby DaHeckIzDat » October 12th, 2023, 4:17 pm

Wow, been a while since I've updated this...

October's free Monthly games released last week. They were The Callisto Protocol, Farming Simulator 22, and Weird West.

If you're subscribed to Extra, on the 17th they're releasing Gotham Knights, Disco Elysium (really excited for this one!), The Dark Pictures Anthology: House of Ashes, Alien Isolation: Dead Island Definitive Edition, Outlast 2, Elite Dangerous, Far: Changing Tide, Gungrave G.O.R.E., Eldest Souls, and Roki.

The Premium subscription games will also release on the 17th. They are Tekken 6, Soul Caliber: Broken Destiny, Ape Escape Academy, and IQ Final.

Return to “Modern Gaming”