Nintendo Is Being a Little Too Quiet

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Sut

Re: Nintendo Is Being a Little Too Quiet

Postby Sut » February 27th, 2018, 3:42 pm

CharlieR wrote:What I find interesting is that Nintendo can release all these Wii U ports, and a lot of fans are ok with it, with some actually being excited to play games they’ve played before. I just find it amazing how we could go months without brand new titles for the switch, but if we get 3 or 4 ports that’s fine. Fans would say, “Nintendo is being smart, they realized not many people bought the Wii U, so they are porting its’ best games to the switch, I will support them and buy the game for the new system, even though I’ve already played it.” Whatever, I’m just thinking out loud.

I do wonder if this is somewhat of a drought, but I think they will come back with a strong e3. I see Kirby, Yoshi, and Mario tennis mentioned, and hopefully news on Metroid prime 4, but yeah I do think they should be doing more.

Good point - remember loads of people moaning about rereleases and HD updates on PS4 ? Nintendo seem to get a free pass somehow ?

eneuman96

Postby eneuman96 » February 27th, 2018, 4:11 pm

Sut wrote:
CharlieR wrote:What I find interesting is that Nintendo can release all these Wii U ports, and a lot of fans are ok with it, with some actually being excited to play games they’ve played before. I just find it amazing how we could go months without brand new titles for the switch, but if we get 3 or 4 ports that’s fine. Fans would say, “Nintendo is being smart, they realized not many people bought the Wii U, so they are porting its’ best games to the switch, I will support them and buy the game for the new system, even though I’ve already played it.” Whatever, I’m just thinking out loud.

I do wonder if this is somewhat of a drought, but I think they will come back with a strong e3. I see Kirby, Yoshi, and Mario tennis mentioned, and hopefully news on Metroid prime 4, but yeah I do think they should be doing more.

Good point - remember loads of people moaning about rereleases and HD updates on PS4 ? Nintendo seem to get a free pass somehow ?

The difference here is that A: the PS4 ports were of PS3/PS2 games that had usually already sold extremely well on the original systems (although I didn't mind this myself), and B: the Switch is portable and the Wii U wasn't.

GTS

Postby GTS » February 27th, 2018, 5:21 pm

Development cycles are longer now than they ever were, so these kinds of droughts are going to happen for new systems. Prime 4 will be a big title, and judging by how Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey turned out, it may end up redefining the Metroid series.

That being said, I'm surprised the WiiU re-releases are being sold for $59. That's kind of taking advantage of things.

Atarifever

Postby Atarifever » February 27th, 2018, 7:46 pm

GTS wrote:That being said, I'm surprised the WiiU re-releases are being sold for $59.

I can explain that one: The original price point being that high was set by someone at Nintendo saying "let's see if people will pay basically full price for these." People paid $59 for the first one of those Nintendo tried, and so, now they will pay $59 for all of them. :)

Also, I think some games people consider re-releases are not. I saw Splatoon 2 called a re-release lots of places, and it is clearly a sequel, with lots of changes from the original, entire new modes, and a whole new single player campaign. It is Splatoon 1 in exactly the same way MW1 and MW2 are the same game. Xenoblade 2 is also a sequel, and a lot of people treat it like it is Xenoblade X on Wii U (a totally different game), because they didn't play Xenoblade X.

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » February 27th, 2018, 8:11 pm

Voor wrote:Lol. I can’t help but chuckle. Everyone is always telling Nintendo what they should do.

I think they are doing alright for themselves. Lol.

That they are but they are not perfect. Wii U anyone? What a flop. The Switch is hot but it is all about the games and it will be interesting if its success continues with a prolonged drought. I for one like the system but my interest is starting to wane..there just isn't anything to play (that I am interested in at least) right now.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 27th, 2018, 11:23 pm

Who asked for all these Kirby games? Where in the hell is the new Wave Race??

BanjoPickles

Postby BanjoPickles » February 28th, 2018, 12:47 am

Voor wrote:Lol. I can’t help but chuckle. Everyone is always telling Nintendo what they should do.

I think they are doing alright for themselves. Lol.

With all due respect, that mindset has always annoyed me, when it comes to fans of the Big N. They tend to think in the here and now. I mean, the Wii was a success, and Nintendo clearly knew what they were doing.....and then they dropped the Wii U. Nintendo knew what they were doing with the SNES, then they released the N64 (a relatively successful console, yes, but it changed Nintendo, in many ways, for the worse). You look at Sony and, love them or hate them, you really can’t argue with their track record. With the exception being Vita, every hardware iteration had top-flight third party support, and astonishingly high sales figures. Nintendo always seems like they’re one grave misstep away from being buried. Yes, Sony May play it too safe, relying primarily on technological bumps, but——really, how many more Switches, or Wii’s, or DS’s does Nintendo have in them? Yes, they make amazing games, but they essentially rely on a combination of luck, clever marketing, and a risky gimmick (some more ingenious than others). The Playatation brand essentially markets itself, because you know that the biggest third party titles will be there, along with a nice graphical boost.

However, there are holes in my way of seeing things. The way that companies are exploiting the online component is really starting to sour people, and several of the biggest developers are either over reliant on safe sequels/updates (EA, Activision, Ubi Soft), or are merely a shell of their former selves (Konami? Have you heard that they want to charge you $10 for a second save slot in Metal Gear Survive?). I do believe that Nintendo is building an almost legitimate online infrastructure. Almost. The lack of proper voice chat is, at this point, both infuriating and embarrassing. Also, navigating the eshop is a mess. There are so many good-to-great indie titles that are getting lost in the shuffle.

Anyway.....

Between now and E3, you have the following big titles:

1). Yoshi (good game to play with your kids)
2). Kirby
3). Labo
4). Mario Tennis Aces
5). Dark Souls Remaster
6). Street Fighter 30th Anniversary
7). DKC: Tropical Freeze

A somewhat decent lineup, I suppose. The main problem, however, is one that I see with every Nintendo console: their success doesn’t seem to breed significant third party support. Indies are all well and good, but where are all of the bigger budget releases? The sales are there, but the games are not. The games are actually selling pretty well, this time around (would you believe that LA Noire on Switch actually outsold the Xbox One port??).

Voor

Postby Voor » February 28th, 2018, 7:40 pm

Nintendo isn’t perfect, but at least they strive to innovate. Naturally, there are going to be hits and misses. I actually think of the Switch as a fully realized Wii U, now that the technology has caught up. And the Wii U had what Nintendo fans want—new games from their franchises. That’s probably 70% the draw to Nintendo owners, with the other 30% wanting to check out the new gimmicks.

Nintendo knows their market, and still takes risks. I respect that. I’m fine if they have some miscues along the way. Far better than Sony and Microsoft, who just release the same boring console over and over with slightly better specs. Even their controllers have barely changed from 3 generations ago. BORING.

BanjoPickles

Postby BanjoPickles » February 28th, 2018, 9:52 pm

As a fan of the SNES controller’s layout, I’m somewhat glad that Sony hasn’t evolved their own controller all that much. What I do love and respect about Sony is that they release consoles with consideration for third parties.

However, I love Nintendo for the exact opposite reason. Save for, perhaps, Switch, they don’t seem to tailor their consoles to the third party community. This is great for Nintendo fans, who aren’t really going anywhere anyway, but not so great for those who value third parties as much, or even more so. This tactic somewhat works when their sales are up (the Wii had a ton of cheap junk, but there were several third party gems that properly utilized the console), but then they’ll release something like the Wii U where third party support is anemic. The Wii U stands as my least played Nintendo console. In fact, I have dumped far more hours into Switch, within the first year, than I did with the Wii U in the five years that I owned it!

It’s a tricky balancing act, because I don’t want Nintendo to be a replica of the other two. GameCube, great as it was, proved that the market wasn’t big enough for three similar consoles. However, I do believe that Nintendo landed on something really special with Switch, and it is somewhat disheartening to see a lack of major support. It is getting incredible indies, and the obvious Nintendo support, but it would be nice to see third parties step up their gsme. Ports, this time around, are not a bad thing due to the portability factor. Heck, give me some top tier PS3 games to play on the go! Dark Souls is a huge boon, at least for me!

I’m just anxious to see where they take the console, and what it’s success means for the future of the company.

Voor

Postby Voor » March 1st, 2018, 7:14 am

AS you mentioned, Nintendo just doesn’t worry about third party support. I personally think this is fine. I think all the clamoring for third party support in this thread doesn’t reflect the average Nintendo consumer.

Return to “Modern Gaming”