Should Nintendo move to all digital downloads

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
scotland

Should Nintendo move to all digital downloads

Postby scotland » March 4th, 2018, 4:48 pm

https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2018/3/3/17067564/nintendo-switch-games-digital-downloads-zelda-mario-sonic-anniversary

An article from a Switch owner who enjoys the Switch, but thinks that Nintendo should consider going all digital

eneuman96

Re: Should Nintendo move to all digital downloads

Postby eneuman96 » March 4th, 2018, 6:13 pm

Absolutely not, and I suspect virtually every other regular on these forums would concur. I've digitally downloaded more than my fair share of games on the current generation of systems including the Switch, but in virtually all of those cases it was because they weren't available in physical form or were at a discount on their respective digital stores. Companies like Rockstar and 2K are already making things inconvenient for Switch owners by not putting the entire games on the cartridges and requiring massive extra data installations, and we need to speak out against practices like these, not encourage Nintendo to abandon cartridges altogether.

However, it's worth noting that the article in question doesn't seem to be arguing that Nintendo themselves should stop making cartridges, but is instead simply stating why the author himself has gone all-digital (which I still think is pretty foolish if he ever needs a bit of extra cash and is unable to sell any of the games in his collection, but I digress).

SpaceGuitarist

Re: Should Nintendo move to all digital downloads

Postby SpaceGuitarist » March 11th, 2018, 10:37 pm

I think it's tempting to consider going all-digital for a handheld console because, in theory, you want to carry the system around but don't want to carry multiple games.
In practice though, it is useless. You can fit your whole Switch physical library in carrying cases the size of a cassette tape.
Besides, if you go all-digital, you will have to carry multiple SD cards around with your stored games, thus defeating the purpose of going all-digital not to carry multiple carts around.
Even going all digital for the price factor doesn't make much sense, especially with Nintendo, which, out of all the software houses, is the least prone to discounting their digital games.

Return to “Modern Gaming”