I love Switch, but....

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
BanjoPickles

I love Switch, but....

Postby BanjoPickles » June 3rd, 2018, 4:41 pm

There are a few specific things that have been irking me lately:

1). The unexplained delay of Dark Souls. Is it because the game isn’t up to snuff, or does it have more to do with launching closer to Nintendo’s paid subscription service? It would have been nice to know.

2). The abundance of pixel art games. I’ll bd the first to admit that I love a good, retro flavored game (Shovel Knight, Celeste), but it’s getting harder and harder to navigate through the glut of these games!

3). Fourteen months later, and navigating around the eshop still sucks!

4). The ridiculous cost of the peripherals! I’ve had the same DualShock 4 since the PS4’s launch, and it works just fine. The joycons, on the other hand, are already starting to act finicky (the left joycon, namely, where it acts like I’m pressing down on the analog stick, until I right it by pressing down on the right joycon’s stick). If you’re going to charge $80 for joycons, they should be built like tanks!

Really, those are my only complaints.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: I love Switch, but....

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 3rd, 2018, 11:26 pm

Agreed about the joycons. I thought they were great until Axiom Verge. They I realized I need a real d-pad and a controller where the buttons weren't so close together.

Works fine for Zelda and Mario though!

Herschie

Postby Herschie » June 4th, 2018, 11:44 am

Yeah I'm not a fan of the joycons either, and the classic controller is like 70 bucks!

ESauce

Postby ESauce » June 4th, 2018, 3:24 pm

Yeah the joy cons are a great innovation but an uncomfortable play experience. It’s pretty easy to find the pro controller on sale for less than $60 so I highly recommend that to anyone who feels the same as I do.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » June 4th, 2018, 4:10 pm

Are there any converters or any way I can get the Pro controller for the Wii U to work on the Switch?

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » June 4th, 2018, 8:54 pm

BanjoPickles wrote:There are a few specific things that have been irking me lately:

1). The unexplained delay of Dark Souls. Is it because the game isn’t up to snuff, or does it have more to do with launching closer to Nintendo’s paid subscription service? It would have been nice to know.

2). The abundance of pixel art games. I’ll bd the first to admit that I love a good, retro flavored game (Shovel Knight, Celeste), but it’s getting harder and harder to navigate through the glut of these games!

3). Fourteen months later, and navigating around the eshop still sucks!

4). The ridiculous cost of the peripherals! I’ve had the same DualShock 4 since the PS4’s launch, and it works just fine. The joycons, on the other hand, are already starting to act finicky (the left joycon, namely, where it acts like I’m pressing down on the analog stick, until I right it by pressing down on the right joycon’s stick). If you’re going to charge $80 for joycons, they should be built like tanks!

Really, those are my only complaints.

I would add where are the games???? Mario Tennis is coming out and that may be cool but all the junk on the e shop is available (just about) on the PS4 and Xbox One. I really like the Switch but I haven't played it in months...there is just nothing out for it. I would agree with you 100% about the e shop...what a confusing mess. The other thing that bothers me is the pricing...it is all over the place and there does not seem to be any standardization. It is kind of hard to figure out if you are buying a budget title or not.

BanjoPickles

Postby BanjoPickles » June 4th, 2018, 10:43 pm

I think that it has amassed a respectable amount of games, so far, but I’m starting to notice alarming trends:

-why couldn’t Capcom bundle ten smallish Mega Man Games onto a single cart? Have they become that cheap/lazy?

-A different spin on the usual third party issue. Developers are starting to come around, but with overpriced ports of games from the previous generation, or games that have less incentive on Switch than they do on other platforms; I bought South Park: FBW on Switch, but I was so tempted to pick it up on PS4 because it was cheaper, and it came with The Stick of Truth.

-The Dark Souls Delay. This actually genuinely p’d me off! It felt like Nintendo was being given low priority!

-there are a lot of great indie games on the platform, but how does Nintendo not see that releasing 10 per week, with no indication of which ones are worth the purchase, is not a good idea! I actually keep a list in my phone of games that intrigue me because I know that I’ll forget.

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » June 5th, 2018, 7:42 am

BanjoPickles wrote:I think that it has amassed a respectable amount of games, so far, but I’m starting to notice alarming trends:

-why couldn’t Capcom bundle ten smallish Mega Man Games onto a single cart? Have they become that cheap/lazy?

-A different spin on the usual third party issue. Developers are starting to come around, but with overpriced ports of games from the previous generation, or games that have less incentive on Switch than they do on other platforms; I bought South Park: FBW on Switch, but I was so tempted to pick it up on PS4 because it was cheaper, and it came with The Stick of Truth.

-The Dark Souls Delay. This actually genuinely p’d me off! It felt like Nintendo was being given low priority!

-there are a lot of great indie games on the platform, but how does Nintendo not see that releasing 10 per week, with no indication of which ones are worth the purchase, is not a good idea! I actually keep a list in my phone of games that intrigue me because I know that I’ll forget.

Great points Banjo! I also keep a list. I do want to point out that its only my opinion there are "No" games to play on the switch. Perhaps there are a ton others want to play. I guess I am just waiting for that next triple "a", super addictive game to come out for the platform. Mario Tennis looks promising and I can't wait to check it out.

BanjoPickles

Postby BanjoPickles » June 5th, 2018, 10:12 am

Nintendo has created this weirdly-complicated legacy for themselves. Don't get me wrong, Doom and Skyrim were day one purchases for me, but----I could have picked them up for PS4, where they looked better, ran better, and were cheaper. The portability aspect was a huge selling point for me, but most gamers simply don't care, especially if they have multiple consoles.

Personally, I'm fine with developers releasing ports of older games, especially if they were AAA games from the last generation (I would shriek if the Bioshock Collection came to Switch).....but launching it at full price, or $10 more than the competition (thanks, Switch Tax) is---it reminds me of the N64 days, where N64 carts were pricier than a PS1/Sega Saturn disc.

One thing that I do like is that several indie games have found their way to retail. Games that are deserving of release (Owlboy, Axiom Verge, etc.). These are games that, despite their lack of bleeding age technology, deserve to stand shoulder-to-shoulder with the likes of GTA, Call of Duty, Mario, etc. They are simply great games!

One thing that I have wanted, for twenty years now, is for Nintendo to release that console that is as powerful as anything else on the market, regain the third party support they've lost, etc. I agree with the "gameplay over graphics" mantra, but it's not like PS4 and XBONE are lacking in killer games. It's a silly dream, sure, but I would love to own one console where I can play the latest Mario/Zelda/Metroid, get the occasional revival (Punch Out, Star Fox, etc.), enjoy the latest GTA, or Red Dead, and not have to be surprised anytime a third party releases something that isn't less than what the other systems are receiving.

bluenote

Postby bluenote » June 5th, 2018, 11:17 am

BanjoPickles wrote:Nintendo has created this weirdly-complicated legacy for themselves. Don't get me wrong, Doom and Skyrim were day one purchases for me, but----I could have picked them up for PS4, where they looked better, ran better, and were cheaper. The portability aspect was a huge selling point for me, but most gamers simply don't care, especially if they have multiple consoles.

Personally, I'm fine with developers releasing ports of older games, especially if they were AAA games from the last generation (I would shriek if the Bioshock Collection came to Switch).....but launching it at full price, or $10 more than the competition (thanks, Switch Tax) is---it reminds me of the N64 days, where N64 carts were pricier than a PS1/Sega Saturn disc.

One thing that I do like is that several indie games have found their way to retail. Games that are deserving of release (Owlboy, Axiom Verge, etc.). These are games that, despite their lack of bleeding age technology, deserve to stand shoulder-to-shoulder with the likes of GTA, Call of Duty, Mario, etc. They are simply great games!

One thing that I have wanted, for twenty years now, is for Nintendo to release that console that is as powerful as anything else on the market, regain the third party support they've lost, etc. I agree with the "gameplay over graphics" mantra, but it's not like PS4 and XBONE are lacking in killer games. It's a silly dream, sure, but I would love to own one console where I can play the latest Mario/Zelda/Metroid, get the occasional revival (Punch Out, Star Fox, etc.), enjoy the latest GTA, or Red Dead, and not have to be surprised anytime a third party releases something that isn't less than what the other systems are receiving.

I have to disagree with you on this point, I think the portability aspect is exactly why gamers care! It's the main reason why the Switch is doing so well: They can play Doom or Skyrim or any other game on the big screen or as a handheld. If gamers didn't care about the portability aspect of the system, then they will just use their PS4. No need to buy the Switch.

There are some gamers that use the system docked 100% of the time and I'm guessing in their case they just want the Nintendo exclusives. But most of the threads I've seen on other gaming sites indicate that most (not all) use this system as a hybrid.

I too would like to see Nintendo release a console that was purely focused on power, but they would lose that battle. There is no room for 3 basically identical systems with their own unique exclusives. I think they needed to release the Switch to save their brand.

Return to “Modern Gaming”