Switch Owners, how is your library shaping up?

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
BanjoPickles

Switch Owners, how is your library shaping up?

Postby BanjoPickles » June 26th, 2018, 12:15 pm

Now that the console is fifteen months old, and has had time to establish a pretty decent library, I'm curious to see how everyone's individual libraries are shaping up. At the moment, this is what I have:

-Breath of the Wild
-Mario Odyssey
-Snipperclips
-Doom
-Skyrim
-South Park: FBW
-Labo: Kit 1
-Splatoon 2
-Mega Man Legacy 1

As for downloadable titles, I have the following:

-ACA: Double Dragon
-ACA: Donkey Kong
-Johnny Turbo: Bad Dudes
-Floor Kids
-Oxenfree
-Celeste
-Golf Story
-Thimbleweed Park
-Gunbird
-Strikers 1945
-Gunbarich
-Mega Man Legacy 2

Even though I would like to see more big-budget titles, I am pretty happy with the console. If I were to put a grade on it, considering both it's current library and the release schedule for remainder of the year, I would rate it as a solid B/B+.

ESauce

Re: Switch Owners, how is your library shaping up?

Postby ESauce » June 26th, 2018, 2:19 pm

I’ve got the following physical:

Super Mario Odyssey
Splatoon 2
Mario and Rabbids: Kingdom Battle
Puyo Puyo Tetris
Street Fighter Collection
Mario Tennis (arriving today)

And the following downloads:
Worms WMD
Rocket League
Arcade Archives: Vs Super Mario Bros
Wonder Boy: The Dragon’s Trap
Golf Story
Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon
Arcade Archives: Punch Out
Mighty Gunvolt Burst
Snipperclips
Hiragana Pixel Party
Fortnite (free download)

I also rented and beat Doom. I played through Breath of the Wild on my Wii U.

I’m satisfied with almost all my purchases. I don’t like Rocket League and wish I had tried a demo somewhere first; it’s just not my thing. And I don’t have anyone to play worms wmd with so I’m sort of regretting that one. But everything else is great. Golf Story and Snipperclips are fantastic exclusives.

I might pick up Sonic Mania and Crash Bandicoot sometime after they release.

BanjoPickles

Postby BanjoPickles » June 26th, 2018, 2:35 pm

Ha! I totally forgot about Rocket League! I downloaded it, played it for a few weeks, and then I stopped. It's a good game, but it isn't for me.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » June 27th, 2018, 5:43 pm

Mine is super small. Since our move to a new house I've been enjoying using a chainsaw and brush trimmer to clear out the backyard for a fence for the kid and dog.

Super Mario Odyssey
Wonder Boy: The Dragon’s Trap
Mario and Rabbids: Kingdom Battle
Axiom Verge
Thimbleweed Park (from Limited Run games, arrived on 6/28, still not opened)
Bomberman (completely forgot about this one)

And the following downloads:
Fortnite
Astro Bears Party (it was only a $1 when on sale), single player is boring but I can see how this would be fun for a group of people.
Stardew Valley (haven't played it yet)

Out of my list Axiom Verge and Odyssey are the bees' knees. I still haven't hooked up the PS4 or Switch to any of my TVs yet. Playing in handheld mode works well enough. We use the Xbox One as our DVD player.

I really need to expand my collection but the yard work is zapping my time and money.

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » June 27th, 2018, 11:14 pm

ActRaiser wrote:I really need to expand my collection but the yard work is zapping my time and money.

Bruh. Ain't that the truth?? My wife and I rent our home, but it's built into our lease agreement that we're responsible for all upkeep of the yard and surrounding areas. Sure, we've had a good time planting some flowers and shrubs, but the yard is always a struggle. It gets bone dry here in Oregon in Summertime, and the yard always goes dormant and dies off right about this time.

There's the constant struggle of wasting water vs. keeping a green lawn, and a brown lawn always risks the displeasure of my landlord. Yard work can be rewarding, but when you're doing it all for a house that isn't even yours (like I am) it's like pulling teeth. I can't wait for the rainy season to kick back in!

Anyway, back on topic...

We're as happy as we can be with the Switch. My wife wanted an Xbox One, but I talked her into going halfsies to buy a Switch instead. The biggest hook for us was the sheer amount of unique games, as even the system exclusives on the other big systems just seem like the "same old thing." Never been a fan of Halo, God of War, and the like, though to be honest, I've never really liked Mario, Mario Kart, or Smash Brothers, either!

We got the special Splatoon 2 edition system from WalMart, as the hot pink and neon green controllers just won me over. I may be in the minority here, but I view my video games as [expensive] toys, and I like it when they look the part. Nothing like buying a new game system and adding another nondescript black box underneath your TV, amirite?

For the record, we promptly eBay'd the Splatoon 2 download code that came with the console, and went out and bought the physical release, instead. Would have been nice if our new game console came with an *actual* game, but yeah. Grumble, grumble!

So far, here's our collection. First the physical games:

Zelda: Breath of the Wild (big box "Explorers Edition")
Splatoon 2 (big box "Starter Edition")
Street Fighter Anniversary Collection (Alpha 2 has always been my favorite - and now it's portable)

And the downloads:

Fortnite (haven't played it yet, but hey, it was free)
Pokemon Quest (wife loves it - in fact, she's playing it right now!)

As far as games I will get in the future:

BlazBlue Cross Tag Battle (don't like the series, but I love tag fighters, and the demo sold me)
Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon (when it goes on sale)
Doom (come on, give me a price drop, already!)
Dragon Ball FighterZ (I don't get Dragon Ball, but the wife loves it, so...)
Hyper Light Drifter (it's "supposed" to be coming soon, or so they say)
Mega Man 11 (file this under "maybe," but I am definitely curious)
Mega Man X Collection (just for X - X4, which are included on the physical game card)
Mighty Gunvolt Burst (when it goes on sale)
Sonic Mania Plus (already have the physical edition pre-ordered)

I did own the physical release of Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap, and while I enjoyed it, one time through was enough for me. The slippery controls and floaty jumping were something I never really got a feel for. Still glad I played it. Fun game, with a great art style and well-done music.

I'm also very patient when it comes to eShop-exclusive games, as I hate paying full price for a download title. I love me some physical media, which is one of the main reasons I feel so at home on this site! Still, I don't mind the occasional download, provided the price is right. If it's five bucks or less, count me in :-D

I don't want to slap a letter grade on the Switch, but it has definitely met my expectations, and I'm hard to please. I'm very happy that my wife has gotten so much out of it, as well.

Neither one of us are big-time gamers, and if I had to ballpark it, I probably only get to play about two or three hours of games a week. Most of the games I spend my time with tend to be of the pick-up-and-play variety, and the Switch lends itself well to that. Being able to suspend a game in progress at any point and come right back to it later is a huge, huge plus. Plus, it's small enough that I can just tuck it away when it's not in use, and doesn't dominate my TV stand the way a larger game system would.

While I wouldn't recommend the Switch for everyone, I like it, and my old lady does, too. Can't complain!

rockofhysteria

Postby rockofhysteria » June 28th, 2018, 1:09 pm

We have
Breathe of The Wild
Puyo Puyo Tetris
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Crash Bandicoot Insane Trilogy
Mario Tennis Aces
Mario Odyssey
ACA Donkey Kong
Strikers 1945
Uno
Bad dudes
Double Dragon
Baseball Stars Professinal
Nam 1975
NBA 2k18
Kirby Star Allies
Doom
ACA Punch Out
ACA Super Mario Bros VS
Fortnite
Stern Pinball Arcade
Bloodstained Curse Of The Moon
NBA Playgrounds
ACA Super Sidekicks 2
ACA Metal Slug x
ACA Shock Troopers
Premium Pool Arena
Namco Museum

Also is anyone wants to play some of these games online hit me up in a PM

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » June 28th, 2018, 6:00 pm

Matchstick wrote:Bruh. Ain't that the truth?? My wife and I rent our home, but it's built into our lease agreement that we're responsible for all upkeep of the yard and surrounding areas. Sure, we've had a good time planting some flowers and shrubs, but the yard is always a struggle. It gets bone dry here in Oregon in Summertime, and the yard always goes dormant and dies off right about this time.

Holy buckets, I can't imagine doing yard work without owning the property. The fence is finally in and now I'm laying wood chips to cover the dirt and mud from digging all the fence posts. On the plus side I feel pretty manly every time the chainsaw comes out. My wife thinks I'm a dork but at least, I'm a dork with a chainsaw (still with 10 fingers). I wonder if there's a Switch game based on lumberjack competitions. If not I claim dibs on the concept. For the record in two player mode the winner is the guy with the most fingers left.

ESauce

Postby ESauce » June 29th, 2018, 1:01 am

I’m contemplating importing the Japanese physical release of Mega Man legacy X collection 2. It would be $35 though which would make owning both physical copies cost over $70. Seems a bit ridiculous.

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » June 29th, 2018, 4:34 am

ActRaiser wrote:I wonder if there's a Switch game based on lumberjack competitions. If not I claim dibs on the concept. For the record in two player mode the winner is the guy with the most fingers left.

Sounds like we need a copyright on Chainsaw Sculpture Artist 2K18 DX Gold Edition HD Ver. ASAP!!

ESauce wrote:I’m contemplating importing the Japanese physical release of Mega Man legacy X collection 2. It would be $35 though which would make owning both physical copies cost over $70. Seems a bit ridiculous.

What bothers me the most about that whole deal is that Capcom has the capacity to produce a collection for the Switch *and* fit all of the games on one cartridge, with no downloads required. That's the entire reason I bought the Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection, as it has every single game included on the cart. However, for the Resident Evil Revelations Collection, only the first game was on the cart, while the other had to be downloaded using a code inside the package. Same for Megan Man legacy Collection, as 1-6 was on the cart, while 7-10 needed an additional download.

At least with the Mega Man X collection, I personally don't care about anything after X4, so I probably won't even bother with downloading Part 2. My master plan is to buy the game new, and put the DLC code for the second half on eBay. I figure I'll end up spending about $25 overall to have the physical copy of the first four games, which I think is OK.

Still, how hard is it to put all of the games on one cartridge? I guess it's too expensive, or something like that? On the eShop, the download size of the Street Fighter Collection exceeds both the size of Mega Man Legacy 1 & 2 as well as both halves of the Mega Man X collection. So Street Fighter is the "bigger" game, yet it's the only one that has all of the games on the cartridge, without requiring an extra download? Madness, I tell you!

As a Switch owner, I hope this is a trend that dies off sooner or later. I understand that Switch cartridges cost more to produce per unit that Blu-Ray discs, but given the popularity of the system, I feel like a publisher would be taking a minor risk by choosing to produce their games for Nintendo's console.

Has Capcom really gotten that cheap? Erm, wait, don't answer that...

ESauce

Postby ESauce » June 29th, 2018, 10:30 am

Matchstick wrote:

Still, how hard is it to put all of the games on one cartridge? I guess it's too expensive, or something like that? On the eShop, the download size of the Street Fighter Collection exceeds both the size of Mega Man Legacy 1 & 2 as well as both halves of the Mega Man X collection. So Street Fighter is the "bigger" game, yet it's the only one that has all of the games on the cartridge, without requiring an extra download? Madness, I tell you!

Street Fighter is the only one of them where it wasn’t an option to split it up. All the rest had the digital releases split in two anyway so Capcom could pull this stunt. Street Fighter was a single digital release too so splitting it would have required doing something with DLC.

I for one am not buying any of these half physical releases and I think I’ve made up my mind that I’m not going to deal with the import. Clearly Capcom can fit these into one cartridge and if it was prohibitively expensive then no other company would be able to release physical games. Capcom is just being cheap because they can get away with it.

Return to “Modern Gaming”