MLB The Show 18

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

MLB The Show 18

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 29th, 2018, 6:36 pm

So I was reading a recent Game Informer which contained a review of MLB The Show 18 (PS4). I'm glad I didn't buy this game because they axed the offline season mode so they could "focus" on the online stuff. Apparently they didn't do a very good job at that.

Consider these quotes from the review:
"The Show's troubles are mostly contained to just the online component... "
"... the online aspect of the game, where Sony is focusing the most... remains unpredictable at best and completely broken at its worst."
"As the season goes along, the experience hopefully will get better"

Score: 6.75.

Can you imagine what the VGC would have given this? Not only is the score way too high, but it sounds like it's based on an imaginary game the author is hoping will magically appear later. Because it would be mean to give a low grade right? Apparently they're giving out participation trophies for video games now.

I realize Game Informer doesn't want to alienate advertisers, but this is ridiculous. I miss the old days when it was permitted for a magazine to publish harsh (but honest) reviews.

Stalvern

Re: MLB The Show 18

Postby Stalvern » June 29th, 2018, 7:00 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Can you imagine what the VGC would have given this? Not only is the score way too high, but it sounds like it's based on an imaginary game the author is hoping will magically appear later. Because it would be mean to give a low grade right? Apparently they're giving out participation trophies for video games now.

I realize Game Informer doesn't want to alienate advertisers, but this is ridiculous. I miss the old days when it was permitted for a magazine to publish harsh (but honest) reviews.

This is hardly new. People have been rolling their eyes at the 7-to-10 grading scale for ages. The old days that you're talking about are very old, shamefully.

Edit: Hell yeah!

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » June 29th, 2018, 10:46 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:So I was reading a recent Game Informer which contained a review of MLB The Show 18 (PS4). I'm glad I didn't buy this game because they axed the offline season mode so they could "focus" on the online stuff. Apparently they didn't do a very good job at that.

Consider these quotes from the review:
"The Show's troubles are mostly contained to just the online component... "
"... the online aspect of the game, where Sony is focusing the most... remains unpredictable at best and completely broken at its worst."
"As the season goes along, the experience hopefully will get better"

Score: 6.75.

Can you imagine what the VGC would have given this? Not only is the score way too high, but it sounds like it's based on an imaginary game the author is hoping will magically appear later. Because it would be mean to give a low grade right? Apparently they're giving out participation trophies for video games now.

This is terrible, we need to stop accepting half baked garbage as this is ridiculous, I am so glad I will be getting a Nintendo Switch instead as 85% most of it library is not buggy/broken like PS4 and Xbox One is!

BanjoPickles

Postby BanjoPickles » June 30th, 2018, 1:51 am

Gaming, in general, is heading towards a very bleak future. All you have to do is watch this year’s E3, especially the EA presentation, to catch a glimpse. I welcome certain aspects of the digital/online space (where would indie gaming be without it?), but the concept of streaming worries me.

One upside, though, is that a new generation of top-tier developers have risen up, thanks to the online marketplace. Slowly, but surely, it seems like the companies that allowed themselves to be unethical in their pursuit of profit (Konami, EA, Capcom) are encountering resistance, are not nearly as prolific as they once were, or are taking less risks. These smaller developers, I believe, are the brighter side of the future of gaming.

Return to “Modern Gaming”