New 3DS XL vs... well, older DS systems

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
txsizzler

New 3DS XL vs... well, older DS systems

Postby txsizzler » July 15th, 2018, 9:45 am

Recently, Amazon had a Warehouse deal (an extra 20% off certain items). I went ahead and bought two "Very Good" New 3DS XL SNES edition systems (came up to $104 each, also come with a download of the original Super Mario Kart), so I can replace my kids' aging 2DS (original), and the original 3DS systems (thinking Christmas gifts).

What I am curious about, is are the New 3DS XL systems really a big upgrade? Are there any exclusive titles for just those "New" systems (I am guessing the New 2DS XL falls in this category as well)? Or is this more of a money grab from Nintendo? I only ask, because I got thinking about it a day after I bought them, and not really knowing. Looking at online searches, I only see some mild musings, like the systems being somewhat faster, slightly different button layout. I do dig the SNES look of the systems I bought though.. they certainly look really awesome!

Anyhow, your thoughts would be appreciated, especially those who made the upgrade to the New 3DS XL (or even the New 2DS XL).

CharlieR

Re: New 3DS XL vs... well, older DS systems

Postby CharlieR » July 16th, 2018, 3:58 pm

I did buy the 2ds xl last summer. I like the look of the system a lot, and I love playing on a bigger screen.

There are things a new 3ds can do that are upgrades. It has super stable 3d, meaning it won't get blurry if you move your head to much. I've personally never tried this, but I have experienced the other features on the 2ds xl such as faster downloads, and a bottom screen that can read amiibos and cards.

There is an analog nub that senses movement. It helps control the camera in Monster hunter, and makes smash attacks easier in Smash Bros. Smash bros. also takes advantage of the faster processing speeds. Xenoblade Chronicles is exclusive to the "new" systems.

I had a regular 3ds xl; and I wouldn't say the 2ds xl is leaps and bounds better, but it's nice.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » July 16th, 2018, 5:20 pm

Amazon Prime Day has the Super NES New 3DS XL for $150!

And I couldn't help myself.

txsizzler

Postby txsizzler » July 17th, 2018, 7:00 am

CharlieR wrote:I did buy the 2ds xl last summer. I like the look of the system a lot, and I love playing on a bigger screen.

There are things a new 3ds can do that are upgrades. It has super stable 3d, meaning it won't get blurry if you move your head to much. I've personally never tried this, but I have experienced the other features on the 2ds xl such as faster downloads, and a bottom screen that can read amiibos and cards.

There is an analog nub that senses movement. It helps control the camera in Monster hunter, and makes smash attacks easier in Smash Bros. Smash bros. also takes advantage of the faster processing speeds. Xenoblade Chronicles is exclusive to the "new" systems.

I had a regular 3ds xl; and I wouldn't say the 2ds xl is leaps and bounds better, but it's nice.

Thanks for that great info, Charlie! Just received the systems yesterday, and they look brand new! For $104 each, it was a no-brainer. I will have to look for that Xenoblade. Curious if the Critic has bought one of the "New 3DS XL" systems. Would love to see a review on this exclusive game!

Return to “Modern Gaming”