A biased articles on why people should get a PS4 and Pro over the Nintendo Switch!

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
JWK

Re: A biased articles on why people should get a PS4 and Pro over the Nintendo Switch!

Postby JWK » July 27th, 2018, 11:21 am

I’ve enjoyed my Switch, especially the portable mode. There’s lots of classic arcade games and shmups getting released on the Eshop as well as Wii U ports and some original games like Mario Odyssey and Xenoblade 2.

But if you think the Switch has a library (or an exclusive) library anywhere close to the PS4 you’re drinking the strongest possible Kool-Aid. Banjo listed a lot of the PS4’s games, but you can add Yakuza 0, Yakuza Kiwami 1 & 2, Persona 5, Ratchet and Clank, The Order 1886 (a little better than its poor reputation) and the vastly improved Vita ports of Gravity Rush and Tearaway. AAA exclusives Ghost of Tsushima (which looks absolutely amazing) and Death Stranding will be coming relatively soon, in addition to the aforementioned TLoU2 and Spider Man. The PS4 has the best exclusive library this generation and it isn’t close. Comparing the PS4’s games to “a Switch, gaming PC, Vita, 3DS, PS3, XBox 360, every emulator ever and a fleet of arcade cabinets” proves nothing, other than the sheer number of systems you need to get close.

Scotland accurately pointed out that Nintendo is focused on a different market than Sony, Microsoft and PC. This is true and good for the market. I like that Nintendo has a light-hearted focus and it’s necessary to get kids to buy games for a healthy industry. But the lack of announcements at the Nintendo Direct concerns me. If you’re a huge fan of Smash, you were likely happy, but I expected a lot more from Nintendo’s first party devs. Daemon x Machina looks fantastic, but Nintendo didn’t show confidence enough in it to feature it prominently. Why? Yoshi got pushed back... Ok. That happens. No biggie. But describing the wait for exclusive (non Wii U ports) is going to continue to be a drought. I’m not hating on the Switch. I play Psikyo shooters on it almost daily and still making my way through Breath of the Wild. If you don’t mind buying the same games again or you never owned a Wii U, the Switch offers a very good value. But with true exclusives... let’s not deny that it has a long, long way to go.

DrLitch

Re: A biased articles on why people should get a PS4 and Pro over the Nintendo Switch!

Postby DrLitch » July 27th, 2018, 1:43 pm

Sonicx9 wrote:
I just mention it because the article does not mention the PS4 flaws unlike critic who will point them out right away!

You did good listing many exclusives but all of them are Sony PlayStation 1st party games FYI, I do not count Ni Nu Kuni II because it is on the PC day and date with PS4, Yakuza 6 will hit PC in the near future, Street Fighter V is on the PC and that game is a mess even to this day thanks to loot boxes!: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018 ... loot-boxes, Nier: Automata is on PC and Xbox One so that does not count at all. But even then you got 14 actual exclusives so not bad!

You are not wrong that is the only reason for me to get a PS4 for Sony PlayStation 1st party games, but most of what I am interested on PS4 is 3rd party stuff that hit either the Switch or PC or both, but even though I do not like PC gaming because it makes me frustrated. So Switch is my go to choice.

The thing is I am doing to much Console Wars drama?

PS4? Approx 80million install base for Sony and rising. Sony will likely hit 100million once this generation is over. It is the most successful console this generation by a mile. Whatever flaws exist with the PS4, it is on target for being Sony's 2nd most successful console ever.

PC gaming probably has a minimal impact on console gaming. More of a niche market. BTW, Nier Automata is a bad example of a cross platform release. On the PC it is a horrible port and runs like the poorly optimized crap it is. I would question the sanity of a gamer that picked the PC version over console. Great game, possibly an all time great on the PS4 (and soon to be on Xbox).

I do not think console wars are a thing any more. I see plenty of trolling and s**tposting between fanboys that is easy to ignore. This is nothing like the SNES/Genesis days where the two companies were in a street fight running ads against each other. Back then there was definitely a turf war of sorts (mostly good spirited though).

There is no requirement to maintain a rank and file list of consoles (which ultimately is subjective). Outside of some echo chambers, people do not really spend much time worrying about which console is the best :D .

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » July 27th, 2018, 2:04 pm

JWK wrote:I’ve enjoyed my Switch, especially the portable mode. There’s lots of classic arcade games and shmups getting released on the Eshop as well as Wii U ports and some original games like Mario Odyssey and Xenoblade 2.

But if you think the Switch has a library (or an exclusive) library anywhere close to the PS4 you’re drinking the strongest possible Kool-Aid. Banjo listed a lot of the PS4’s games, but you can add Yakuza 0, Yakuza Kiwami 1 & 2, Persona 5, Ratchet and Clank, The Order 1886 (a little better than its poor reputation) and the vastly improved Vita ports of Gravity Rush and Tearaway. AAA exclusives Ghost of Tsushima (which looks absolutely amazing) and Death Stranding will be coming relatively soon, in addition to the aforementioned TLoU2 and Spider Man. The PS4 has the best exclusive library this generation and it isn’t close. Comparing the PS4’s games to “a Switch, gaming PC, Vita, 3DS, PS3, XBox 360, every emulator ever and a fleet of arcade cabinets” proves nothing, other than the sheer number of systems you need to get close.

For your exclusive games you mention lets see, I do not count the Yakuza games because they are announced to come to PC at a latter date, and #2 will likely be the same case in the future, Persona 5 is on the PS3 so that does not count and does not show of the systems technical specs just like Yakuza 0 and Yakuza Kiwami 1 which both had Japan only PS3 version although Yakuza Kiwami 2 is a diffrent story as it was developed exclusively for current gen and looks way better then 0 and Kiwami 1., Ratchet and Clank may be a loose remake of the original, but is different enough so I will count that one. The Order 1886 I know is not that good, but at least it a actual exclusive, Gravity Rush Remastered is a remastered game so it does not count, and for Tearaway or actually different games, but I could be wrong? Ghost of Tsushima and Death Stranding count because they are actual exclusive so right now 16.5 the only reason I am saying it as the PS4 version of Tearaway may or may not be the same on the PS4, so correct me?

JWK wrote:Scotland accurately pointed out that Nintendo is focused on a different market than Sony, Microsoft and PC. This is true and good for the market. I like that Nintendo has a light-hearted focus and it’s necessary to get kids to buy games for a healthy industry. But the lack of announcements at the Nintendo Direct concerns me. If you’re a huge fan of Smash, you were likely happy, but I expected a lot more from Nintendo’s first party devs. Daemon x Machina looks fantastic, but Nintendo didn’t show confidence enough in it to feature it prominently. Why? Yoshi got pushed back... Ok. That happens. No biggie. But describing the wait for exclusive (non Wii U ports) is going to continue to be a drought. I’m not hating on the Switch. I play Psikyo shooters on it almost daily and still making my way through Breath of the Wild. If you don’t mind buying the same games again or you never owned a Wii U, the Switch offers a very good value. But with true exclusives... let’s not deny that it has a long, long way to go.
[/quote]

That why I like the Switch it different market focus is a breath of fresh air compared to the samey PS4/Xbox One library that is similar to the PC. And even though I do not like PC gaming, if you have a powerful gaming PC rig, you do not need a PS4 and Xbox One outside of 1st party exclusives for Sony PlayStation, Xbox does not count these days as most of them come to PC.

Sut

Postby Sut » July 27th, 2018, 4:46 pm

Sonicx9 wrote:you do not need a PS4 and Xbox One outside of 1st party exclusives for Sony PlayStation

Outside of 1st party exclusives you definitely don’t need a Switch then by that logic ?

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » July 27th, 2018, 9:14 pm

Sonicx9 wrote:That why I like the Switch it different market focus is a breath of fresh air compared to the samey PS4/Xbox One library that is similar to the PC. And even though I do not like PC gaming, if you have a powerful gaming PC rig, you do not need a PS4 and Xbox One outside of 1st party exclusives for Sony PlayStation, Xbox does not count these days as most of them come to PC.

If gaming PC's were actually having a measurable impact on console gaming you might have point. For most in the gaming community, if you want to play contemporary AAA titles, doing so without an Xbox or PS4 may be economically impossible. Titles that coexist on a PC thus have little impact regarding console choices when placed in this context.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » July 28th, 2018, 12:52 am

DrLitch wrote:
Sonicx9 wrote:
I just mention it because the article does not mention the PS4 flaws unlike critic who will point them out right away!

You did good listing many exclusives but all of them are Sony PlayStation 1st party games FYI, I do not count Ni Nu Kuni II because it is on the PC day and date with PS4, Yakuza 6 will hit PC in the near future, Street Fighter V is on the PC and that game is a mess even to this day thanks to loot boxes!: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018 ... loot-boxes, Nier: Automata is on PC and Xbox One so that does not count at all. But even then you got 14 actual exclusives so not bad!

You are not wrong that is the only reason for me to get a PS4 for Sony PlayStation 1st party games, but most of what I am interested on PS4 is 3rd party stuff that hit either the Switch or PC or both, but even though I do not like PC gaming because it makes me frustrated. So Switch is my go to choice.

The thing is I am doing to much Console Wars drama?

PS4? Approx 80million install base for Sony and rising. Sony will likely hit 100million once this generation is over. It is the most successful console this generation by a mile. Whatever flaws exist with the PS4, it is on target for being Sony's 2nd most successful console ever.

PC gaming probably has a minimal impact on console gaming. More of a niche market. BTW, Nier Automata is a bad example of a cross platform release. On the PC it is a horrible port and runs like the poorly optimized crap it is. I would question the sanity of a gamer that picked the PC version over console. Great game, possibly an all time great on the PS4 (and soon to be on Xbox).

I do not think console wars are a thing any more. I see plenty of trolling and s**tposting between fanboys that is easy to ignore. This is nothing like the SNES/Genesis days where the two companies were in a street fight running ads against each other. Back then there was definitely a turf war of sorts (mostly good spirited though).

There is no requirement to maintain a rank and file list of consoles (which ultimately is subjective). Outside of some echo chambers, people do not really spend much time worrying about which console is the best :D .

About PC and Steam their are Over 125 Million "Active" Steam Accounts as of early 2015 that has grown much larger as of 2018 is larger then the PS4 install base FYI.

About the PC port of Nier Automata many of the PC Master Race community
(god I hate the term it the dumbest term to come out in gaming ever!) They say use PC Gaming Wiki or they get mad at you! https://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Nier:_Automata and speaking of the PC Master Race community this infamous reddit guide love to bash console and fans of consoles like they are demons no joke!: https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/wiki/guide also notice it only bashes hey talk down on both PlayStation and Xbox consoles, but nothing on Nintendo, or even many former console makers like Sega, Atari, SNK, Hudson Soft and NEC PC Engine aka TurboGrafx line of consoles, etc. If you are talking down on both PlayStation and Xbox brands, why not talk down on the rest? It is rather confusing? And they say they are unbiased but they can be just as if not more biased then others! Also some of the community says that consoles are irreverent such as this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAEI3dAS7hY, am I missing something or do they love to brainwash people?

Sut wrote:
Sonicx9 wrote:you do not need a PS4 and Xbox One outside of 1st party exclusives for Sony PlayStation

Outside of 1st party exclusives you definitely don’t need a Switch then by that logic ?
It depends for some people such as the critic case he only uses PS4 for PlayStation 1st party games, sports games, and western dev AAA games, and saves everything else for Switch. But if critic was a PC gamer which he is not, he would only use PS4 only for PlayStation 1st party games and sports games not on the PC.

DrLitch wrote:
Sonicx9 wrote:That why I like the Switch it different market focus is a breath of fresh air compared to the samey PS4/Xbox One library that is similar to the PC. And even though I do not like PC gaming, if you have a powerful gaming PC rig, you do not need a PS4 and Xbox One outside of 1st party exclusives for Sony PlayStation, Xbox does not count these days as most of them come to PC.

If gaming PC's were actually having a measurable impact on console gaming you might have point. For most in the gaming community, if you want to play contemporary AAA titles, doing so without an Xbox or PS4 may be economically impossible. Titles that coexist on a PC thus have little impact regarding console choices when placed in this context.

For some PC gamers they think it has a measurable impact thanks to the supposed more Active" Steam Accounts, or are they just saying it to be biased?

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » July 28th, 2018, 11:42 am

Sonicx9 wrote:
About PC and Steam their are Over 125 Million "Active" Steam Accounts as of early 2015 that has grown much larger as of 2018 is larger then the PS4 install base FYI.

(god I hate the term it the dumbest term to come out in gaming ever!) They say use PC Gaming Wiki or they get mad at you! https://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Nier:_Automata and speaking of the PC Master Race community this infamous reddit guide love to bash console and fans of consoles like they are demons no joke!: https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/wiki/guide also notice it only bashes hey talk down on both PlayStation and Xbox consoles, but nothing on Nintendo, or even many former console makers like Sega, Atari, SNK, Hudson Soft and NEC PC Engine aka TurboGrafx line of consoles, etc. If you are talking down on both PlayStation and Xbox brands, why not talk down on the rest? It is rather confusing? And they say they are unbiased but they can be just as if not more biased then others! Also some of the community says that consoles are irreverent such as this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAEI3dAS7hY, am I missing something or do they love to brainwash people?

It depends for some people such as the critic case he only uses PS4 for PlayStation 1st party games, sports games, and western dev AAA games, and saves everything else for Switch. But if critic was a PC gamer which he is not, he would only use PS4 only for PlayStation 1st party games and sports games not on the PC.

For some PC gamers they think it has a measurable impact thanks to the supposed more Active" Steam Accounts, or are they just saying it to be biased?

Steam? Long time of operation, lots of games, old and new. Far more older than newer. High membership base but not necessarily active or purchasing the modern console/pc cross plats. Do not need a gaming PC for Steam, you can waltz into Staples/Walmart/Target/BestBuy/Fry's etc and whatever $400 PC you end up with will have a CPU and IGPU (Intel HD graphics or AMD version) that will play over 90% of the library no problem at all. When we talking modern AAA titles, for instance, Assassin's Creed's Origins, you need a surprisingly good PC. We talking i5/GTX1060 or Ryzen 5/RX580 at minimum if you want to play that at 1080p at decent settings. People that want to play the latest and greatest games will need to invest in the hardware to the tune of over $1000 if gaming on a PC - the consoles are $300 base or $400 pro. Consoles are the economically wise go to choice for gaming and always will be - strong console sales indicate that sentiment. I still hold onto the opinion - Sony or Microsoft's Xbox division are not losing any sleep over the impact of PC gaming. Nintendo only lose some sleep over PC because hacks love to emulate their hardware. Wii U can now be played on a moderate spec PC, Switch no doubt soon to follow, highly illegal but it is what it is....

Anyway, I do not really consider PS4/Xbox crossover's with PC's as being particularly important when purchasing a console for most. It may matter if you already have a gaming PC/Laptop but most folks that game do not invest here.

But to relate to your Switch comments - I love Nintendo games and the Switch is an awesome piece of hardware. I have two Switches in fact! Where I differ from you is that the Switch does not need to be compared to the PS4 or Xbox. They coexist in the same space comfortably and the Switch is different enough that PS4/Xbox owners can happily purchase one without conflict of interest.

PC master race? Ignore those people. The funny thing is they are not trolls - many opinions there are legit. Some nasty individuals out there, some very nice people that just have way too much time on their hands. I have fought many battles over the years, I give up, it is not worth it. Funny thing is I do 90% of my gaming on a PC (and build computers as a hobby) but am an avid supporter of consoles. To many that is an oxymoron. People there often ignore the pro's of console gaming. Good example is Assassin's Creed Origins. Worked just fine for me until a Windows 10 update. Now I cannot get that piece of #$%^ to run and it is too late to get a refund. I ended up buying it on the PS4 and wow, it friggin works on the console. Amazing but the caveat is I had to start the game again from scratch... I had similar problems getting Far Cry 5 to run on my PC but eventually had a workaroud... but I am not about to ditch PC gaming anytime soon, for every 2 or 3 failures I am rewarded with dozens and dozens of successes. You should try out Steam on your PC or Laptop, get some indie titles going. Many are exclusive to PC or will not show up on Switch. My latest gaming obsession is Darkwood - a fantastic and innovative little horror game. Lots of gems among the visual novel junk on Steam.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » July 28th, 2018, 1:15 pm

DrLitch wrote:
Sonicx9 wrote:

Steam? Long time of operation, lots of games, old and new. Far more older than newer. High membership base but not necessarily active or purchasing the modern console/pc cross plats. Do not need a gaming PC for Steam, you can waltz into Staples/Walmart/Target/BestBuy/Fry's etc and whatever $400 PC you end up with will have a CPU and IGPU (Intel HD graphics or AMD version) that will play over 90% of the library no problem at all. When we talking modern AAA titles, for instance, Assassin's Creed's Origins, you need a surprisingly good PC. We talking i5/GTX1060 or Ryzen 5/RX580 at minimum if you want to play that at 1080p at decent settings. People that want to play the latest and greatest games will need to invest in the hardware to the tune of over $1000 if gaming on a PC - the consoles are $300 base or $400 pro. Consoles are the economically wise go to choice for gaming and always will be - strong console sales indicate that sentiment. I still hold onto the opinion - Sony or Microsoft's Xbox division are not losing any sleep over the impact of PC gaming. Nintendo only lose some sleep over PC because hacks love to emulate their hardware. Wii U can now be played on a moderate spec PC, Switch no doubt soon to follow, highly illegal but it is what it is....

Anyway, I do not really consider PS4/Xbox crossover's with PC's as being particularly important when purchasing a console for most. It may matter if you already have a gaming PC/Laptop but most folks that game do not invest here.

But to relate to your Switch comments - I love Nintendo games and the Switch is an awesome piece of hardware. I have two Switches in fact! Where I differ from you is that the Switch does not need to be compared to the PS4 or Xbox. They coexist in the same space comfortably and the Switch is different enough that PS4/Xbox owners can happily purchase one without conflict of interest.

PC master race? Ignore those people. The funny thing is they are not trolls - many opinions there are legit. Some nasty individuals out there, some very nice people that just have way too much time on their hands. I have fought many battles over the years, I give up, it is not worth it. Funny thing is I do 90% of my gaming on a PC (and build computers as a hobby) but am an avid supporter of consoles. To many that is an oxymoron. People there often ignore the pro's of console gaming. Good example is Assassin's Creed Origins. Worked just fine for me until a Windows 10 update. Now I cannot get that piece of #$%^ to run and it is too late to get a refund. I ended up buying it on the PS4 and wow, it friggin works on the console. Amazing but the caveat is I had to start the game again from scratch... I had similar problems getting Far Cry 5 to run on my PC but eventually had a workaroud... but I am not about to ditch PC gaming anytime soon, for every 2 or 3 failures I am rewarded with dozens and dozens of successes. You should try out Steam on your PC or Laptop, get some indie titles going. Many are exclusive to PC or will not show up on Switch. My latest gaming obsession is Darkwood - a fantastic and innovative little horror game. Lots of gems among the visual novel junk on Steam.

Anyways, why should I not take the PC master race seriously and why? The reason I do not do PC/Steam gaming is I have bad luck with virus/malware/other technical issues on PC so I have been turned off by it. Also the PC master race says it not expensive of difficult to do PC gaming, or are they biased, also you had fought battles with them and what was it like?

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » July 28th, 2018, 2:57 pm

Sonicx9 wrote:Also the PC master race says it not expensive of difficult to do PC gaming, or are they biased, also you had fought battles with them and what was it like?

Not all of us PC aficionado's view ourselves as a class of gamer above others ;) although sadly this aspect is there from a vocal minority. These are the ones i have run in's with, most folks in these forums prefer cordial to angry chaos.

Build costs low? Yeah, a laughable opinion from many a PC gamer. Total garbage in reality. A lot of those folks correlate upgrading a few components as being reflective of total build cost. Most of the time, they reuse a case and peripherals as well as hard drives and solid states. That alone trims several 100's from the budget. Consider this: From scratch builds you are going to pay dearly, always, unless you buy crap. A from scratch build must also include a Monitor, Speakers, Keyboard, and Mouse. How much? Well if you buy mid range, it will add up to $600 or so. Higher end, double it. The PC itself, the computer case, motherboard, cpu, gpu, ram, psu, m2 sata drives, ssd's, hdd's, cables, etc etc totals up fast, very fast. PCPartpicker is a good site to get an idea, build a fairly mid range gaming PC out of a Ryzen 5 or i5 and pair with a GTX1060 or RX580 for the GPU and add 16GB Ram. Choose a somewhat aesthetically pleasing PC case you like, add in the Hard drives, and see how this all adds up :shock: I posted this exact sentiment on one or two forum's/subreddits I know and inevitably some individuals would break down. It is what it is. There is a lot of bad info on these sites. Yes, I have heard of people saying you can build good PC's for under $500 scouring used or outdated parts sniping eBay auctions or Craigslist. For most that purchase new from NewEgg, I say to them good luck with that budget :lol:.

The last big fight I had with these guys was when the Xbox One X came out. Every time a new piece of console hardware comes out, some folks lose their minds. They cannot handle it. I was of course somewhat supportive of the console (in context that it will generate a nice 30fps picture on a 4K screen). I cannot wait until the PS5 comes out, I will definitely be having some fun rubbing a few noses the wrong way.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » July 28th, 2018, 6:44 pm

DrLitch wrote:
Sonicx9 wrote:Also the PC master race says it not expensive of difficult to do PC gaming, or are they biased, also you had fought battles with them and what was it like?

Not all of us PC aficionado's view ourselves as a class of gamer above others ;) although sadly this aspect is there from a vocal minority. These are the ones i have run in's with, most folks in these forums prefer cordial to angry chaos.

Build costs low? Yeah, a laughable opinion from many a PC gamer. Total garbage in reality. A lot of those folks correlate upgrading a few components as being reflective of total build cost. Most of the time, they reuse a case and peripherals as well as hard drives and solid states. That alone trims several 100's from the budget. Consider this: From scratch builds you are going to pay dearly, always, unless you buy crap. A from scratch build must also include a Monitor, Speakers, Keyboard, and Mouse. How much? Well if you buy mid range, it will add up to $600 or so. Higher end, double it. The PC itself, the computer case, motherboard, cpu, gpu, ram, psu, m2 sata drives, ssd's, hdd's, cables, etc etc totals up fast, very fast. PCPartpicker is a good site to get an idea, build a fairly mid range gaming PC out of a Ryzen 5 or i5 and pair with a GTX1060 or RX580 for the GPU and add 16GB Ram. Choose a somewhat aesthetically pleasing PC case you like, add in the Hard drives, and see how this all adds up :shock: I posted this exact sentiment on one or two forum's/subreddits I know and inevitably some individuals would break down. It is what it is. There is a lot of bad info on these sites. Yes, I have heard of people saying you can build good PC's for under $500 scouring used or outdated parts sniping eBay auctions or Craigslist. For most that purchase new from NewEgg, I say to them good luck with that budget :lol:.

The last big fight I had with these guys was when the Xbox One X came out. Every time a new piece of console hardware comes out, some folks lose their minds. They cannot handle it. I was of course somewhat supportive of the console (in context that it will generate a nice 30fps picture on a 4K screen). I cannot wait until the PS5 comes out, I will definitely be having some fun rubbing a few noses the wrong way.

I know where you are coming from, you do not even need to try to get them mad, saying anything in front of them is like WW3!

Return to “Modern Gaming”