The Mummy Demastered

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

The Mummy Demastered

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 5th, 2018, 6:06 pm

I saw The Mummy (2017) last night, and it was pretty lousy. However, there was apparently a highly regarded Castlevania/Metroid/Ghouls N Ghosts style game based on it that I'd like to play. Anybody tried it?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mummy_Demastered

Any chance of this appearing on physical media? Or has the poor showing of the film dashed any hopes?

newmodelarmy

Re: The Mummy Demastered

Postby newmodelarmy » August 7th, 2018, 3:21 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:I saw The Mummy (2017) last night, and it was pretty lousy. However, there was apparently a highly regarded Castlevania/Metroid/Ghouls N Ghosts style game based on it that I'd like to play. Anybody tried it?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mummy_Demastered

Any chance of this appearing on physical media? Or has the poor showing of the film dashed any hopes?

I bought this for the Switch and gave it a go for two to three hours before deleting it. I love these types of games but this one proved too difficult to be enjoyable for me. The game is filled with cheap hits and plagued with bad controls. Also, the one thing that I hated was when you died you had to go back to get your "ghost" so you could get your weapons and upgrades back. To me this gimmick was just lame. Again this is just me, I am sure there are plenty of folks that might enjoy this game.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » August 7th, 2018, 11:16 am

Never heard of this one before, but it looks interesting in screenshots. Normally I'd say that downloadable games are not likely to get a physical release.. but this one was developed by WayForward (the studio behind the Shantae series), and they have a habit of releasing games on disc. So there's actually reason for hope. On the other hand, I feel like they would have done so already if they ever planned to do it. The fact that it's a licensed game probably makes it trickier too, since there's always legal hoops to jump through.

By the way Critic, if you're looking for another Metroidvania game to try, you still gotta give Shadow Complex a shot. It's from around 2009 (Xbox 360), but got re-released on PS4. I can't confirm if it holds up today, but IMO it was the best indie game on the market when it was first released. The PS4 version did get a physical release on the PS4 by Limited Run Games, but it's very pricey now. Better to download it, which would run you $15 or less.

snakeboy

Postby snakeboy » October 25th, 2020, 11:09 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:Any chance of this appearing on physical media?

Well, it took a while but you can now order a physical copy of The Mummy Demastered at Limted Run Games. You can pre-order until Nov. 22.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 25th, 2020, 12:36 pm

Thank you so much snakeboy for the heads up! I preordered a copy for the Switch!

Maybe I'll get it in time for NEXT year's Halloween special! LOL

Return to “Modern Gaming”