Why I now have high hopes for Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night as the saving grace for AAA Kicstarter video games.

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Sonicx9

Why I now have high hopes for Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night as the saving grace for AAA Kicstarter video games.

Postby Sonicx9 » August 23rd, 2018, 2:36 am

I wanted to make this post in the wake of this recent news: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ig ... ts/2266944 because if you have noticed they for better or worse depending on who you ask, was recently delayed to 2019 along with canceling the PS Vita version actually gives me hope for the ultimate saving grace for AAA Kicstarter video games after the big disappointments of Mighty No. 9 and Yooka-Laylee to a lesser degree.

Unlike some people out their, I think canceling the PS Vita version was the smart move because that system was mostly dead by late 2018-2019 range anyways and considering that the system was under powered below not just the PC, PS4, Xbox One and Nintendo Switch in raw specs, but also the PS3/Xbox 360 and Wii U for that matter and ironically the Wii U was another system that Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night was also planed but got canceled in favor for the Nintendo Switch version. But the PS Vita along with the Wii U did not have native Unreal Engine 4 support which mind you, Unreal Engine 4 a very demanding game engine known for cutting edge games and tech, and considering that was ridiculous and in some ways worse then Mighty No. 9 case of shoehorning the game on 10 different pieces of platforms and you know how well that turned out. But unlike Keiji Inafune case, Koji Igarashi canceled the Wii U and PS Vita versions when both systems were not feasible and relevant and wanted to make the ultimate next gen Unreal Engine 4 Metroidvania game only possible on the current most powerful systems on the market, which is a good sign.

After all I have noticed a pattern with the 8th gen that the best games for the PC/PS4/Xbox One/Switch and even the Wii U to a smaller degree are games that where 100% developed for the highest standards are games that did not do parity with last gen that had last gen versions like Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor case where the PC/PS4/Xbox One versions had the games famous Nemesis System which was ruined in the terrible PS3/Xbox 360 versions because they where not strong enough to handle the mechanic right. But back to the topic many of the best titles are made with the highest bar standards, Titanfall 2 (current gen/PC only) was better then Titanfall 1(cross gen on the Xbox 360 identical to the PC/Xbox One versions even with downgrades), Super Smash Bros. Ultimate(Switch only) is shaping in the more proper next gen Smash Bros. unlike the 2014 game which was on both 3DS and Wii U similar save for select stages and features, Mega Man 11 (current gen, PC, Switch only) is shaping into the proper next gen Mega Man game that Mighty No. 9 should have been. Watch Dogs 2 (current gen/PC only) was better then Watch Dogs 1 (corss-gen/PC), The Witcher 3 (current gen/PC only) is far better the cross-gen/PC released Dragon Age: Inquisition
http://www.inquisitr.com/4435607/dragon ... -next-gen/, Valkyria Chronicles 4 (current gen/Switch/PC only) is already better game then Valkyria Revolution (PS4/Xbox One/Vita release), Doom 2016 and Overwatch (all current gen/PC/Switch if applied for Doom case) all better then the 2013-2015 released Call of Duty/Battlefield games (which where all cross-gen/PC releases all identical except for Black Ops III), Uncharted 4 and The Lost Legacy (PS4 only) far better then Rise of the Tomb Raider (Cross-Gen/PC release thanks to the Xbox 360 version), Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2 and FighterZ (all current gen/PC/Switch only) are both better the Xenoverse 1 (cross-Gen/PC), etc.

Also for Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night case, this game has not gone to any negative/controversial PR problems unlike Mighty No. 9 case or even Yooka-Laylee case with JonTron being removed/Team17 and Playtonic doing the message boards blocking and censoring people gave negative impressions on both games not help that both games did not get very impressive reviews especially Mighty No. 9. And not to mention many people have been not too happy with Shenmue 3 on it controversies.

Another good sign of Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night quality is the positive rep of the E3 2018 demo and the well received Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon companion game, also worth mentioning is the 3DS/PS Vita versions of the 8 bit spin-off game where under 10% total sales of both versions, and under 5% for both PS Vita and 3DS each and because of the poor attach rate, that might have help leading to the PS Vita version being canceled in the end for the better.

Sorry for the long post, but that my two cents on the saving grace for AAA Kicstarter video games for Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night case, I would like your guys two cents on what I just wrote?
Last edited by Sonicx9 on August 23rd, 2018, 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stalvern

Re: Why I now have high hopes for Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night as the saving grace for AAA Kicstarter video games.

Postby Stalvern » August 23rd, 2018, 11:21 am

Do you honestly think that Mighty No. 9 and Yooka-Laylee are the only major Kickstarted games? There have been plenty that were quite well-received and went off more or less without a hitch, and even the more qualified successes, like Broken Age, aren't anything to sneeze at. Here are some of the biggest ones (courtesy of Wikipedia):

Divinity: Original Sin
Elite: Dangerous
Grim Dawn
Obduction
Pillars of Eternity
Shadowrun Returns
Shantae: Half-Genie Hero
Shovel Knight
Thimbleweed Park
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Wasteland 2

Not to mention the Oculus Rift.

(Yes, I included a few that are definitely below the "AAA" level that you're talking about, but I didn't want to think too hard about exactly where to draw that line, and the less ambitious projects still have a contiguity with the bigger ones and illustrate the same points.)

Even the disasters have a (very slim!) chance of turning around and making good on their promises. From what I've heard, No Man's Sky, one of the most infamous failures of crowdfunding, has been gradually updated into a genuinely great game over the past couple of years – granted, the updates are largely content that was promised for the game's release, and nothing will change how disastrously the whole thing was handled, but my point is that there's still hope for a game's future even if it's a total mess when it comes out.

Is Kickstarter perfect? Of course not. It inherently attracts all kinds of opportunists and incompetents, and even people with proven track records often end up biting off more than they can chew when they get bigger funding than they anticipate (look at the Star Citizen debacle, or better yet, look away). But it's ridiculous to pretend that Kickstarter doesn't work, that it hasn't been an incredible tool for people who know what they're doing and understand how to see a project through. When you reduce it all to a figurehead of failure like Mighty No. 9, you're being willfully ignorant and obtuse, and it does nobody any favors.

Sonicx9

Re: Why I now have high hopes for Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night as the saving grace for AAA Kicstarter video games.

Postby Sonicx9 » September 3rd, 2018, 7:23 pm

Stalvern wrote:Do you honestly think that Mighty No. 9 and Yooka-Laylee are the only major Kickstarted games? There have been plenty that were quite well-received and went off more or less without a hitch, and even the more qualified successes, like Broken Age, aren't anything to sneeze at. Here are some of the biggest ones (courtesy of Wikipedia):

Divinity: Original Sin
Elite: Dangerous
Grim Dawn
Obduction
Pillars of Eternity
Shadowrun Returns
Shantae: Half-Genie Hero
Shovel Knight
Thimbleweed Park
Torment: Tides of Numenera
Wasteland 2

Not to mention the Oculus Rift.

(Yes, I included a few that are definitely below the "AAA" level that you're talking about, but I didn't want to think too hard about exactly where to draw that line, and the less ambitious projects still have a contiguity with the bigger ones and illustrate the same points.)

Even the disasters have a (very slim!) chance of turning around and making good on their promises. From what I've heard, No Man's Sky, one of the most infamous failures of crowdfunding, has been gradually updated into a genuinely great game over the past couple of years – granted, the updates are largely content that was promised for the game's release, and nothing will change how disastrously the whole thing was handled, but my point is that there's still hope for a game's future even if it's a total mess when it comes out.

Is Kickstarter perfect? Of course not. It inherently attracts all kinds of opportunists and incompetents, and even people with proven track records often end up biting off more than they can chew when they get bigger funding than they anticipate (look at the Star Citizen debacle, or better yet, look away). But it's ridiculous to pretend that Kickstarter doesn't work, that it hasn't been an incredible tool for people who know what they're doing and understand how to see a project through. When you reduce it all to a figurehead of failure like Mighty No. 9, you're being willfully ignorant and obtuse, and it does nobody any favors.

Ok, sorry for being late because I have been busy, but let me explain, I was aware of Kickstarter video game stuff well before the likes of Mighty No. 9, Yooka-Laylee, Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night, and Shenmue 3, etc. But before lot of the projects where much more smaller and indie to double AA range, with a few exceptions that did gain over 1 million which was fairly uncommon back then. The one that made it mainstream under the current big AAA ambitious Kicsktarter Indie retro revival spiritual successor games. And Mighty No. 9 for better or worse started this movement with other famous creators doing the same thing, and at the time frame it was exciting and promising and people thought it would be a runaways success because at the time period, Capcom had a bad rep during that time period and people where praising Keiji Inafune like a savor. But then Mighty No. 9 during it 3 year development run had lots of negativity going on that got worse and worse over time, but when Mighty No. 9 got released it was a critical and commercial failure and tarnished Keiji Inafune reception and people started to cast a shadow of doubt on other big AAA major crowdfunded and "Spiritual Successor" games with tons of hype like Yooka-Laylee and Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night because one of them has to be excellent enough to undo Comcept's damage. Even though Yooka-Laylee got better reception then Mighty No. 9 it did not get a strong enough reception to undo the negative damage of the former. So Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night along with maybe Shenmue 3 are the make and breaks to big AAA major crowdfunded and "Spiritual Successor" games if they can be successful or fail. Because given the track record of many big AAA major crowdfunded and "Spiritual Successor" games it has not been all that great as the more Indie to AA range ones have been much better like the many smaller ones you have mentioned above Shantae: Half-Genie Hero, Shovel Knight, etc.

I hate to be pessimistic, but I have seen a pattern for Kickstarter/crowdfunding games in general, many smaller ones have been much more successful then big ones and it shows most of the time.

Also about No Man's Sky it was never crowdfunded: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_Man%27s_Sky nothing about it on wikipedia.

Last thing to say, about the part you say "you're being willfully ignorant and obtuse, and it does nobody any favors." part do you want me banned from the sites forms?

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » September 3rd, 2018, 10:55 pm

Sonicx9 wrote:I hate to be pessimistic, but I have seen a pattern for Kickstarter/crowdfunding games in general, many smaller ones have been much more successful then big ones and it shows most of the time.

This is a fair point.

Sonicx9 wrote:Also about No Man's Sky it was never crowdfunded: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_Man%27s_Sky nothing about it on wikipedia.

D'oh! I had always thought it was a Kickstarter project, but I guess that was just an assumption on my part. Egg on my face there. :oops:

Sonicx9 wrote:Last thing to say, about the part you say "you're being willfully ignorant and obtuse, and it does nobody any favors." part do you want me banned from the sites forms?

I don't want you to be banned from posting; I just want you to make better posts. You seem like a basically nice person (no matter how angry you can get about a movie or a video game company or whatever, I've never seen you show a trace of spite for other people), and it's always good to have nice people around.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » September 3rd, 2018, 11:52 pm

Stalvern wrote:This is a fair point.

Stalvern wrote:D'oh! I had always thought it was a Kickstarter project, but I guess that was just an assumption on my part. Egg on my face there. :oops:

LOL!

Stalvern wrote:I don't want you to be banned from posting; I just want you to make better posts. You seem like a basically nice person (no matter how angry you can get about a movie or a video game company or whatever, I've never seen you show a trace of spite for other people), and it's always good to have nice people around.

I understand I do get angry on the forms similar to many of the infamous angry YouTube video game ranters which is a my bad for myself.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » October 16th, 2018, 12:57 am

Apparently, the best way to succeed on Kickstarter is to make impossible promises, and then see who you can get away with disappointing?

It's politics by another game.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » October 16th, 2018, 11:44 am

ThePixelatedGenocide wrote:Apparently, the best way to succeed on Kickstarter is to make impossible promises, and then see who you can get away with disappointing?

It's politics by another game.

What do you mean?

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » October 20th, 2018, 9:59 am

When is this game coming out, I have been waiting for a long time...........

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » October 20th, 2018, 1:02 pm

DrLitch wrote:When is this game coming out, I have been waiting for a long time...........

Undisclosed 2019?

Return to “Modern Gaming”