Free Xbox Hardware Plan?

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Free Xbox Hardware Plan?

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 23rd, 2018, 8:33 pm

Microsoft is looking to offer free hardware to people to agree to subscribe to their two-year plan.
https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/08/ ... comments=1

I suspect this is Microsoft testing the water for their next always-only/digital-only console.

Thoughts? Good deal?

Breaker

Re: Free Xbox Hardware Plan?

Postby Breaker » August 23rd, 2018, 10:12 pm

If that is the future of video games, I'll stay in the past. And be very happy with it - I've got hundreds of carts and discs I haven't played yet. For some reason, I just keep buying more...

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 24th, 2018, 7:32 pm

Yeah in some ways I'm looking forward to Microsoft going online only, because that'll be one less console I'll need to worry about buying.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » August 25th, 2018, 2:08 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Yeah in some ways I'm looking forward to Microsoft going online only, because that'll be one less console I'll need to worry about buying.

No need as most Xbox One games are multi platform anyways.

zetax

Postby zetax » August 26th, 2018, 9:27 am

Didn't Microsoft try something like this year's ago? Get an Xbox 360 (or maybe it was the original Xbox) console for a certain amount each month if you sign-up for two or three years of Xbox Live? Maybe you just got the console cheaper up-front if you agreed to a fairly lengthy Live contract...

Does anybody else remember this?

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » August 28th, 2018, 1:46 am

zetax wrote:Didn't Microsoft try something like this year's ago? Get an Xbox 360 (or maybe it was the original Xbox) console for a certain amount each month if you sign-up for two or three years of Xbox Live? Maybe you just got the console cheaper up-front if you agreed to a fairly lengthy Live contract...

Does anybody else remember this?

If it's what I'm remembering, it wasn't quite setup like that. They offered a console bundle from their online store that could be paid for in installment plans after paying an upfront fee of $100.

https://videogamecritic.com/forums/view ... lment+Xbox

It generated quite a bit of controversy around these parts since it included a redemption code in the box for a two year Xbox Live subscription. Even though an identical bundle sans Xbox Live code was available for a substantially cheaper price in any store in the US that carried new Xbox 360's at the time, some viewed this code as Microsoft forcing Xbox Live onto their customers. They feared that this was a precursor to requiring your system be connected to Xbox Live.

While a bit of a leap at the time, that fear hasn't exactly been proven unfounded, unfortunately.

Sut

Postby Sut » August 28th, 2018, 3:18 pm

Sonicx9 wrote:No need as most Xbox One games are multi platform anyways.

Hmm only if you have a beefy PC. Yes.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » August 28th, 2018, 6:35 pm

Sut wrote:
Sonicx9 wrote:No need as most Xbox One games are multi platform anyways.

Hmm only if you have a beefy PC. Yes.

That only if you are interested in Microsoft 1st party software are the best looking and running multi console games, other then that the Critic and others are missing nothing skipping the Xbox brand with the Xbox One lack of exclusives and identical libraries with other systems like PC, PS4, Switch, etc.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » August 29th, 2018, 2:09 pm

The Dreamcast already offered a similar deal, and we still have physical copies of games.

Everybody knows the AAA industry would love to be an online content provider. This deal doesn't really change that, either way.

Return to “Modern Gaming”