PSA: Do Not buy NTSC VERSION of Shadow of War: Definitive Edition.

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Sonicx9

PSA: Do Not buy NTSC VERSION of Shadow of War: Definitive Edition.

Postby Sonicx9 » August 30th, 2018, 9:42 pm

This video explains why below as the PAL and Asian versions are using multi disc to include everything as is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4ESPXLNF8k

If critic was going to review this game, do not get the vanilla version or this version as it has the infamous loot boxes/micro-transactions unless you update the disc which is ridiculous and stupid. I am glad videos like this exists because companies are terrible when it comes for information like this and it shows.

ptdebate

Re: PSA: Do Not buy NTSC VERSION of Shadow of War: Definitive Edition.

Postby ptdebate » August 31st, 2018, 11:02 am

Tbh I think updates download on my xbox faster than they can stream from disc

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » August 31st, 2018, 1:54 pm

ptdebate wrote:Tbh I think updates download on my xbox faster than they can stream from disc

Regardless, it anti-consumer to do this have the NTSC US/Canada/South America versions to be DLC codes with the vanilla version compared to Asia/PAL versions getting 2 disc to get the count as it should be. Companies are trying to do whatever to screw customers and it shows.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » August 31st, 2018, 6:54 pm

Sonicx9 wrote:
ptdebate wrote:Tbh I think updates download on my xbox faster than they can stream from disc

Regardless, it anti-consumer to do this have the NTSC US/Canada/South America versions to be DLC codes with the vanilla version compared to Asia/PAL versions getting 2 disc to get the count as it should be. Companies are trying to do whatever to screw customers and it shows.

There's not a lot of value in a single disc; a few cents perhaps? I'm not seeing the "screw" factor here.

Also, why would there be a DLC code for patches and updates?

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » September 2nd, 2018, 8:55 pm

ptdebate wrote:
Sonicx9 wrote:

There's not a lot of value in a single disc; a few cents perhaps? I'm not seeing the "screw" factor here.

Also, why would there be a DLC code for patches and updates?

Here is the deal, say you have an average joe consumer going to a game store like GameStop or even BestBuy, etc. They see the Shadow of War: Definitive Edition and think they get all the content (DLC and Patch updates on disc), but they buy it, go home and open it, and put the disc in they still need to download the huge update and redeem the DLC code, but not everyone has good internet especially in places like Kansas, Wyoming, etc, are even know how to log into the PSN/Xbox store to redeem the DLC code and need to set up a PSN/Xbox account, etc. It not fair and it an example of companies trying to push digital on people who have zero interest in using digital becoming a form of anti consumer practices the companies love to shove in peoples throughts and both I and the critic hate this, see where I am coming at ptdebate.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » September 3rd, 2018, 10:51 am

I see where you're coming from, but at the end of the day, it is 2018. Should game companies make an accommodation for customers who lack electricity by producing a variant of the console with an attached gasoline-powered generator?

The choice to even partake in modern gaming at all is a choice to utilize some form of digital distribution. If you're not connected at all, you're not going to be able to update your console to function with new releases that take advantage of new features in the firmware, and it only gets more complex from there. Your brand-new PS4 is, in a long-term sense, a paperweight without internet connectivity. I'm not advocating for this status quo or making excuses for the game companies, but there's nothing that's going to change the direction things are going in. Is paying extra to import the foreign version of the game really worth it to avoid downloading those updates when your game won't be playable without system software updates regardless?

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » September 3rd, 2018, 4:02 pm

ptdebate wrote:I see where you're coming from, but at the end of the day, it is 2018. Should game companies make an accommodation for customers who lack electricity by producing a variant of the console with an attached gasoline-powered generator?

The choice to even partake in modern gaming at all is a choice to utilize some form of digital distribution. If you're not connected at all, you're not going to be able to update your console to function with new releases that take advantage of new features in the firmware, and it only gets more complex from there. Your brand-new PS4 is, in a long-term sense, a paperweight without internet connectivity. I'm not advocating for this status quo or making excuses for the game companies, but there's nothing that's going to change the direction things are going in. Is paying extra to import the foreign version of the game really worth it to avoid downloading those updates when your game won't be playable without system software updates regardless?

You are wrong about this as their are plenty of games that can be played without system software updates and even have the system software updates on disc/card for Nintendo Systems such as DS for DSi, 3DS, Switch, and Wii and Wii U for disc based Nintendo Systems. And people have been able to play games without internet fine as long as it does not mention requires internet download and/or online to work.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » September 4th, 2018, 10:47 am

Sonicx9 wrote:You are wrong about this as their are plenty of games that can be played without system software updates and even have the system software updates on disc/card for Nintendo Systems such as DS for DSi, 3DS, Switch, and Wii and Wii U for disc based Nintendo Systems. And people have been able to play games without internet fine as long as it does not mention requires internet download and/or online to work.

That may be true of the 3DS and Wii U, but is it really true of the Switch? They don't even put the whole game on Switch carts sometimes because there's not enough room, leaving the rest of the content to a day-one patch. Is there really extra room to fit system software updates?

Besides, we were talking about the PS4, not Nintendo consoles.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » September 6th, 2018, 2:59 am

ptdebate wrote:
Sonicx9 wrote:You are wrong about this as their are plenty of games that can be played without system software updates and even have the system software updates on disc/card for Nintendo Systems such as DS for DSi, 3DS, Switch, and Wii and Wii U for disc based Nintendo Systems. And people have been able to play games without internet fine as long as it does not mention requires internet download and/or online to work.

That may be true of the 3DS and Wii U, but is it really true of the Switch? They don't even put the whole game on Switch carts sometimes because there's not enough room, leaving the rest of the content to a day-one patch. Is there really extra room to fit system software updates?

My bad, I should have mentioned about the PS4, but if you look at critics reviews of game consoles with firmware updates and/or patches if applied such as PSP/3DS/PS Vita/Xbox 360/PS3/Wii/Wii U/PS4, and Switch most of the best game around 95% of them do not require internet to get the firmware update as it is normally on the disc/cart depending on the system also, you can use USB to get it from the internet for some of the systems like PSP/PS Vita/PS3/PS4 case so that also gets taken care of as well. Or even day 1 updates to get core game play content/to work. Yes their are expectations to the rule such as online only games/games that mention it like Call of Duty WW2, the few Switch games that say about being required to download, etc. But it not a massive chunk of the library so it is no problem others have proven so to show you are wrong about this. And yes the Xbox One does require it more so, but that one console out of how many so more proof it is not an issue for most systems save for a few exceptions here and their.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » September 6th, 2018, 2:02 pm

Sonicx9 wrote:
ptdebate wrote:

My bad, I should have mentioned about the PS4, but if you look at critics reviews of game consoles with firmware updates and/or patches if applied such as PSP/3DS/PS Vita/Xbox 360/PS3/Wii/Wii U/PS4, and Switch most of the best game around 95% of them do not require internet to get the firmware update as it is normally on the disc/cart depending on the system also, you can use USB to get it from the internet for some of the systems like PSP/PS Vita/PS3/PS4 case so that also gets taken care of as well. Or even day 1 updates to get core game play content/to work. Yes their are expectations to the rule such as online only games/games that mention it like Call of Duty WW2, the few Switch games that say about being required to download, etc. But it not a massive chunk of the library so it is no problem others have proven so to show you are wrong about this. And yes the Xbox One does require it more so, but that one console out of how many so more proof it is not an issue for most systems save for a few exceptions here and their.

I appreciate the fact that you took time to argue your point. Both PS4 and Xbox One heavily require use of the internet. To me they wouldn't be worth the money if I didn't have proper internet at home. Too much hassle for too little return.

With good internet, you don't really notice the fact that the PS4 and the Xbox One rely on it at all. All of the updates download while you're not using the console, except in the odd case that an update releases at the same time you are using the console, but it's not like the console just starts updating without asking your permission first.
Download speeds can be much faster than disc-based installations. It's kind of a win-win, except in the case that your internet goes down. But I can't use any console when the electricity goes out, and as far as I know that's never been addressed lol.

Other notes - why would you install an update via USB? If you already have internet at home, why go through the extra step of downloading it on your PC and then transferring it to a flash drive? Just connect the console to the internet! Unless you are saying that there are people out there who go to the public library or Fed Ex Office just to download updates for their game consoles, to then go home and play in an internet-free home.

PS3, Xbox 360, Vita, and PS4 do not provide system software updates on game discs. Only Nintendo consoles do that.

Return to “Modern Gaming”