PSA: Do Not buy NTSC VERSION of Shadow of War: Definitive Edition.

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Sonicx9
Posts: 944
Joined: April 27th, 2015, 6:37 pm

Re: PSA: Do Not buy NTSC VERSION of Shadow of War: Definitive Edition.

Postby Sonicx9 » September 6th, 2018, 10:24 pm

ptdebate wrote:
Sonicx9 wrote:
ptdebate wrote:
That may be true of the 3DS and Wii U, but is it really true of the Switch? They don't even put the whole game on Switch carts sometimes because there's not enough room, leaving the rest of the content to a day-one patch. Is there really extra room to fit system software updates?

Besides, we were talking about the PS4, not Nintendo consoles.


My bad, I should have mentioned about the PS4, but if you look at critics reviews of game consoles with firmware updates and/or patches if applied such as PSP/3DS/PS Vita/Xbox 360/PS3/Wii/Wii U/PS4, and Switch most of the best game around 95% of them do not require internet to get the firmware update as it is normally on the disc/cart depending on the system also, you can use USB to get it from the internet for some of the systems like PSP/PS Vita/PS3/PS4 case so that also gets taken care of as well. Or even day 1 updates to get core game play content/to work. Yes their are expectations to the rule such as online only games/games that mention it like Call of Duty WW2, the few Switch games that say about being required to download, etc. But it not a massive chunk of the library so it is no problem others have proven so to show you are wrong about this. And yes the Xbox One does require it more so, but that one console out of how many so more proof it is not an issue for most systems save for a few exceptions here and their.


I appreciate the fact that you took time to argue your point. Both PS4 and Xbox One heavily require use of the internet. To me they wouldn't be worth the money if I didn't have proper internet at home. Too much hassle for too little return.

With good internet, you don't really notice the fact that the PS4 and the Xbox One rely on it at all. All of the updates download while you're not using the console, except in the odd case that an update releases at the same time you are using the console, but it's not like the console just starts updating without asking your permission first.
Download speeds can be much faster than disc-based installations. It's kind of a win-win, except in the case that your internet goes down. But I can't use any console when the electricity goes out, and as far as I know that's never been addressed lol.

Other notes - why would you install an update via USB? If you already have internet at home, why go through the extra step of downloading it on your PC and then transferring it to a flash drive? Just connect the console to the internet! Unless you are saying that there are people out there who go to the public library or Fed Ex Office just to download updates for their game consoles, to then go home and play in an internet-free home.

PS3, Xbox 360, Vita, and PS4 do not provide system software updates on game discs. Only Nintendo consoles do that.


For the second point the reason USB is useful for people like the critic case, because he has little to no interest to have the PS4 online so it is a good shortcut to avoid headaches.

For the last point, guess what when critic got Batman Arkham Knight on the PS4 he got a free firmware update right from the disc itself: https://videogamecritic.com/forums/view ... ht#p136873 and the parts that say this: "With the PS4 the system update was loaded off the disc (good)" so that last point is not 100% true.

User avatar
ptdebate
Posts: 973
Joined: April 7th, 2015, 8:39 pm

Re: PSA: Do Not buy NTSC VERSION of Shadow of War: Definitive Edition.

Postby ptdebate » September 7th, 2018, 10:35 am

Sonicx9 wrote:For the second point the reason USB is useful for people like the critic case, because he has little to no interest to have the PS4 online so it is a good shortcut to avoid headaches.


Avoid headaches? That sounds like literally the least intuitive, least convenient way to play a PS4. Instead of having updates download in the background when you're not there, you have to take like 6 steps from going to your computer, downloading the update manually, loading it onto the flash drive, taking the flash drive back to your ps4, and installing the update file.

That's a lot of self-punishment just to keep a console offline...and for what? The only scenario I can imagine is where you only have dial up internet, which some people out there do - usually the older demographic and usually because of lack of desire to switch to a more expensive service. Not really the PS4-playing demographic if you ask me.

Sonicx9
Posts: 944
Joined: April 27th, 2015, 6:37 pm

Re: PSA: Do Not buy NTSC VERSION of Shadow of War: Definitive Edition.

Postby Sonicx9 » September 7th, 2018, 3:40 pm

ptdebate wrote:
Sonicx9 wrote:For the second point the reason USB is useful for people like the critic case, because he has little to no interest to have the PS4 online so it is a good shortcut to avoid headaches.


Avoid headaches? That sounds like literally the least intuitive, least convenient way to play a PS4. Instead of having updates download in the background when you're not there, you have to take like 6 steps from going to your computer, downloading the update manually, loading it onto the flash drive, taking the flash drive back to your ps4, and installing the update file.

That's a lot of self-punishment just to keep a console offline...and for what? The only scenario I can imagine is where you only have dial up internet, which some people out there do - usually the older demographic and usually because of lack of desire to switch to a more expensive service. Not really the PS4-playing demographic if you ask me.


But that the thing if people have dial up, or poor internet connections in rural areas like Kansas or Wyoming, and vice versa then the USB thing is beneficial for people, not to mention 95% of the best games are playable on modern systems without the internet save for the Xbox One and PC but that a different story.

Sonicx9
Posts: 944
Joined: April 27th, 2015, 6:37 pm

Re: PSA: Do Not buy NTSC VERSION of Shadow of War: Definitive Edition.

Postby Sonicx9 » November 9th, 2018, 4:40 pm

Update: Middle-Earth: Shadow of War Definitive Edition PAL version is cheaper physical then the NTSC version on same system.: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEhQ_P8rU_A and does not have the awful lootboxs/micro-transactions of the original release which is good news for those that hate that part of the game.

User avatar
Gentlegamer
Posts: 354
Joined: April 7th, 2015, 1:01 am

Re: PSA: Do Not buy NTSC VERSION of Shadow of War: Definitive Edition.

Postby Gentlegamer » November 13th, 2018, 9:56 am

Sonicx9 wrote:Update: Middle-Earth: Shadow of War Definitive Edition PAL version is cheaper physical then the NTSC version on same system.: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEhQ_P8rU_A and does not have the awful lootboxs/micro-transactions of the original release which is good news for those that hate that part of the game.


I don't think NTSC and PAL are relevant in the non-CRT age. Just region/language.

pacman000
Posts: 791
Joined: December 30th, 2015, 9:04 am

Re: PSA: Do Not buy NTSC VERSION of Shadow of War: Definitive Edition.

Postby pacman000 » November 13th, 2018, 12:59 pm

Gentlegamer wrote:I don't think NTSC and PAL are relevant in the non-CRT age. Just region/language.

There are several digital TV standards; the U.S. uses ATSC; European countries usually use DVB. Makes for interesting reading:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_t ... by_country
https://www.lifewire.com/why-ntsc-and-p ... er-1847856
https://turbofuture.com/home-theater-au ... SC-and-QAM

Apparently old Low-Power TV stations in the U.S. can still broadcast analog signals for a couple of years. (The FCC keeps moving up the deadline. Was 2015; now it's 2021: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_t ... ted_States) New Low-Power stations have to be digital.

GameOfThrones
Posts: 336
Joined: August 30th, 2017, 10:24 am

Re: PSA: Do Not buy NTSC VERSION of Shadow of War: Definitive Edition.

Postby GameOfThrones » November 13th, 2018, 6:07 pm

The good news for you Sonic is that Shadow of war is not on Switch. Though Troll and I is. It might be time to get one of the lowest rated games this gen on your Switch.

Sonicx9
Posts: 944
Joined: April 27th, 2015, 6:37 pm

Re: PSA: Do Not buy NTSC VERSION of Shadow of War: Definitive Edition.

Postby Sonicx9 » November 13th, 2018, 10:47 pm

GameOfThrones wrote:The good news for you Sonic is that Shadow of war is not on Switch. Though Troll and I is. It might be time to get one of the lowest rated games this gen on your Switch.


It somewhat unfortunate, but understandable considering how demanding Shadow of War is, too bad junk games like Troll and I show up on Switch!

Also why is the topic going about warning the NTSC definitive edition to things that have nothing to do with it?

GameOfThrones
Posts: 336
Joined: August 30th, 2017, 10:24 am

Re: PSA: Do Not buy NTSC VERSION of Shadow of War: Definitive Edition.

Postby GameOfThrones » November 14th, 2018, 7:44 am

Sonicx9 wrote:
GameOfThrones wrote:The good news for you Sonic is that Shadow of war is not on Switch. Though Troll and I is. It might be time to get one of the lowest rated games this gen on your Switch.


It somewhat unfortunate, but understandable considering how demanding Shadow of War is, too bad junk games like Troll and I show up on Switch!

Also why is the topic going about warning the NTSC definitive edition to things that have nothing to do with it?


Come on you know you want Troll and I. That game probably plays best on the Switch.

The bone version was absolutely atrocious. I was so surprised when it got a Switch release.

I played the previous LOTR game on Xbox and it was very much like Ass Creed. I was not that impressed. What put me off SOW was that it had micro T in it. Though I hear they have revamped it and now it is MT free. I see no reason why they could not make a version for the switch if they really wanted to.
I know it is all about the cheap ways they put DLC out. Should it be on disk or the now industry standard rip off of dlc codes.

Either way I do not think I will buy it as the first one was meh!

Sonicx9
Posts: 944
Joined: April 27th, 2015, 6:37 pm

Re: PSA: Do Not buy NTSC VERSION of Shadow of War: Definitive Edition.

Postby Sonicx9 » November 14th, 2018, 1:10 pm

GameOfThrones wrote:I played the previous LOTR game on Xbox and it was very much like Ass Creed. I was not that impressed. What put me off SOW was that it had micro T in it. Though I hear they have revamped it and now it is MT free. I see no reason why they could not make a version for the switch if they really wanted to.
I know it is all about the cheap ways they put DLC out. Should it be on disk or the now industry standard rip off of dlc codes.


That why the definitive edition is a deal breaker as it has no microtransactions.


Return to “Modern Gaming”