Super Smash Bros. Ultimate vs Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Voor

Re: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate vs Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Postby Voor » January 27th, 2019, 6:35 pm

PC gaming definitely has its advantages, but so do co soles (though I’d argue that they are much closer than they used to be, back before console games had internet access).

Today, I’d say PCs have Steam, consoles have the Switch.

I’ve always been a console gamer, if anything because it felt like “work” to make sure my PC was in shape to run certain games. The exception to that was Starcraft back in ‘99. Despite my love of consoles, playing online with friends was new “thing” that was amazing at the time.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » January 27th, 2019, 6:38 pm

DrLitch wrote:
Sonicx9 wrote:
DrLitch wrote:
I got bitten by a dog, deep gashes on my hand, still scars on my hand. Had to get rabies shots. Guy told me his dog did not bite.

What does that mean?

That someone claiming something does not make it true.

But people on the web like to believe everything they see or hear?

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » January 27th, 2019, 6:39 pm

DrLitch wrote:
Sonicx9 wrote:It seams to me that many people are that mindset that sheep must necessarily follow the herd. As many do not want to think for them self these days.

Indeed.

Regarding PC gaming though, I forgot to tell you one thing -

When sales show up you can really get good games for cheap. Like a couple of bucks for a game like Axiom Verge. There is so much good indie stuff out there. I think the Switch gets most of them but Nintendo are not as generous with sales. When I bought Sonic Mania on the Switch I had to facepalm when I saw it on Steam for $9. Your laptop or mac could play most of these games. Just a thought. True, the caveat is not having a physical copy, but on my PS4 I do not even know what a physical copy means anyway, what with all the 10GB/3GB or whatever large file updates it seems having the disc copy is moot....

The reason I favor Switch is it does not have most of the modern headaches of PC and even the PS4 and Xbox One, old school plug and play!

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » January 27th, 2019, 10:26 pm

Voor wrote:PC gaming definitely has its advantages, but so do co soles (though I’d argue that they are much closer than they used to be, back before console games had internet access).

I’ve always been a console gamer, if anything because it felt like “work” to make sure my PC was in shape to run certain games. The exception to that was Starcraft back in ‘99. Despite my love of consoles, playing online with friends was new “thing” that was amazing at the time.

I find PC to be a pain in the butt, which is why I prefer consoles/handhelds.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » January 27th, 2019, 11:21 pm

Sonicx9 wrote:But people on the web like to believe everything they see or hear?

Yeah social media does bear influence. If it was ineffective, people would not use it, nor would they scramble for virtue signalling points or upvotes.

It is not the Gaming PC / Anti Console Bias article that offends you, it is the rationale. Your real beef lies elsewhere.

Let's move on from this, worry not about things you cannot control.

Sonicx9 wrote:
The reason I favor Switch is it does not have most of the modern headaches of PC and even the PS4 and Xbox One, old school plug and play!

Indeed so, I love my Switch. Am anxious for Nintendo to pull through with some more titles. I hope the Switch is still selling well.

Voor wrote:PC gaming definitely has its advantages, but so do co soles (though I’d argue that they are much closer than they used to be, back before console games had internet access).

One definite perk though- well over 80% of games will run just fine on just a regular Laptop or Office PC. Any old PC/Laptop/Mac will do fine and will render a huge amount of titles just using the IGPU and CPU that come with it. A $300 Walmart Laptop will play a good amount of titles out there. Nice thing with the likes of Steam is they will list requirements. No fancy hardware needed.

If you like the oldies but goldies, you should check out GOG - Great Old Games.
https://www.gog.com/
Cheap titles, 95% will run on bare bones hardware. Worried about KB/Mouse? Install joy2key and can map keyboard to controller. Job done.

Starcraft, awesome game, one of my very favorites :D

Played the heck out of this one and Xcom back in the day.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » January 28th, 2019, 2:39 pm

DrLitch wrote:
Sonicx9 wrote:But people on the web like to believe everything they see or hear?

Yeah social media does bear influence. If it was ineffective, people would not use it, nor would they scramble for virtue signalling points or upvotes.

It is not the Gaming PC / Anti Console Bias article that offends you, it is the rationale. Your real beef lies elsewhere.

Sonicx9 wrote:

Indeed so, I love my Switch. Am anxious for Nintendo to pull through with some more titles. I hope the Switch is still selling well.

One definite perk though- well over 80% of games will run just fine on just a regular Laptop or Office PC. Any old PC/Laptop/Mac will do fine and will render a huge amount of titles just using the IGPU and CPU that come with it. A $300 Walmart Laptop will play a good amount of titles out there. Nice thing with the likes of Steam is they will list requirements. No fancy hardware needed.

Cheap titles, 95% will run on bare bones hardware. Worried about KB/Mouse? Install joy2key and can map keyboard to controller. Job done.

Enjoy on the platforms you like and that it?

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » January 28th, 2019, 6:49 pm

Sonicx9 wrote:
DrLitch wrote:

Sonicx9 wrote:

Or, like me, buy it on the platform where it is the cheapest at the time! 8-)

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » January 28th, 2019, 8:15 pm

Sonicx9 wrote:Enjoy on the platforms you like and that it?

It is more complicated for me, I like to collect physical copies as well - at least physical copies of games I really like. I did buy Skyrim and Diablo III on the Switch even though I have them on PC. I sometimes question my sanity, but it is what it is. But for games I have no idea how well they they turn out, that $1 or $2 chance on Steam is not too expensive. Bought Momodora for $1 and it turned out to be really good. When it comes out on Switch, probably $20 / $10 on sale. Knowing me, if a physical copy comes up, I would probably buy it again :roll:

ptdebate wrote:Or, like me, buy it on the platform where it is the cheapest at the time! 8-)

Oh yeah :D

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » January 28th, 2019, 9:08 pm

ptdebate wrote:
Sonicx9 wrote:
DrLitch wrote:

Or, like me, buy it on the platform where it is the cheapest at the time! 8-)

When download only games that have zero plans for physical go on sale I will get them, or physical games at stores.

Return to “Modern Gaming”