Super Smash Bros. Ultimate vs Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Sonicx9

Re: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate vs Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Postby Sonicx9 » January 16th, 2019, 10:16 pm

ActRaiser wrote:
ptdebate wrote:
Sonicx9 wrote:
What I meant is because of the 3DS co existing, we had Sheik & Zelda and Samus & Zero Suit Samus separated for the respective and Pokémon Trainer was cut down to just Charizard leaving both Squirtle and Ivysaur out of Smash 4 along with Ice Climbers. So 3DS caused not 1 but 3 characters to be axed along with 4 characters being separated for the respective characters. Such a dumb compermise just for 3DS when it should have been a Wii U exclusive.

Your imagination never ceases to astound me.

That's one way to describe it...

What wrong with me?

Voor

Postby Voor » January 17th, 2019, 6:38 am

A portable version of a popular game is never a “dumb move”. Sure, they always have to scale down some, but in Smash 3DS’ case, they kept most of the fun.

The real question is: is Smash Ultimate better time than Melee? Melee has been considered the best balanced of the games.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » January 17th, 2019, 12:09 pm

ptdebate wrote:
Sonicx9 wrote:
VicViper wrote:
The main point of 3 Pikmins vs 6 Pikmins was balancing, there were heavy camping strategies in Brawl involved with 6 Pikmins.

Graphically, I doubt the 3DS game would've been unable to handle 6 Pikmins (even times 4), contrarily to the Ice Climbers or even the Luma, the Pikmins don't really have a separate AI, or it's way more simplified, and it saves on CPU power. The second Ice Climber actually tries for a recovery when offstage and tries very hard to follow the main Ice Climber; she isn't tethered and has movement of her own, while the Pikmins are tethered to Olimar until he throws them.

What transformations?

From Brawl to Smash 4, we Sheik & Zelda were separated, same for Samus & Zero Suit Samus. They're still remaining in Ultimate as they were in Smash 4.

The only "transformation character" that wasn't there in Smash 4 and got into Smash Ultimate is Pokémon Trainer, and really, if Melee after only 11 months of development on an early released GameCube managed to implement transformations, with talent, more development time, and 12 more years of software knowledge, I have little doubt they would've been able to make it happen on the 3DS (the 3DS might be less powerful than the GC, but the 3DS natively outputs at lower resolutions, so there's leftovers in processing power)

What I meant is because of the 3DS co existing, we had Sheik & Zelda and Samus & Zero Suit Samus separated for the respective and Pokémon Trainer was cut down to just Charizard leaving both Squirtle and Ivysaur out of Smash 4 along with Ice Climbers. So 3DS caused not 1 but 3 characters to be axed along with 4 characters being separated for the respective characters. Such a dumb compermise just for 3DS when it should have been a Wii U exclusive.

Your imagination never ceases to astound me.

Why does my imagination never ceases to astound you?

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » January 17th, 2019, 12:14 pm

Voor wrote:A portable version of a popular game is never a “dumb move”. Sure, they always have to scale down some, but in Smash 3DS’ case, they kept most of the fun.

The real question is: is Smash Ultimate better time than Melee? Melee has been considered the best balanced of the games.

The thing is critic would have given the Wii U version a higher grade if no 3DS version existed which shows that 3DS harmed the Wii U one. Also prior to 8th gen you never got many big games down ported to handhelds/last gen console mostly intact save for a few exceptions here and their.

Man is it me or the 8th gen is really my least favorite gen, no wonder why many people on YouTube hate on this gen/the god awful PC Master Race exposes the 8th Gen through their reddit guide.: https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/wiki/guide

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » January 18th, 2019, 3:25 am

Sonicx9 wrote:The thing is critic would have given the Wii U version a higher grade if no 3DS version existed which shows that 3DS harmed the Wii U one.

Why would the Critic have given the Wii U version a better grade if the 3DS version had not existed?

noah98

Postby noah98 » January 18th, 2019, 8:04 am

ptdebate wrote:
Sonicx9 wrote:The thing is critic would have given the Wii U version a higher grade if no 3DS version existed which shows that 3DS harmed the Wii U one.

Why would the Critic have given the Wii U version a better grade if the 3DS version had not existed?

I'm having trouble following the logic here as well. The 3DS version was a lot of fun. So many people were playing Smash on the go. For example, college campuses and public schools had a lot of students playing and appreciating a portable version. I actually had to learn how to replace a circle pad because my oldest son broke his at school! The Wii U version was also amazing. While I would have liked to have the Ice Climbers included, it didn't matter enough to "ruin" the game. If anything, the 3DS game added more interest to the series and in no way harmed the Wii U version!

The Switch version is cleraly the best, but it is also a brand new one and partially a greatest hits. I understand that the competitve community loves Melee, but I prefer the Switch and even the Wii U versions. Wave dashing just isn't fun for the casual player. I even know quite a few players who prefer the newer games since more characters are viable than Melee.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » January 18th, 2019, 2:46 pm

ptdebate wrote:

Simple they could have combined both versions to make it bigger and better as the critic was underwhelmed with the games Wii U version.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » January 18th, 2019, 2:49 pm

noah98 wrote:
ptdebate wrote:

I'm having trouble following the logic here as well. The 3DS version was a lot of fun. So many people were playing Smash on the go. For example, college campuses and public schools had a lot of students playing and appreciating a portable version. I actually had to learn how to replace a circle pad because my oldest son broke his at school! The Wii U version was also amazing. While I would have liked to have the Ice Climbers included, it didn't matter enough to "ruin" the game. If anything, the 3DS game added more interest to the series and in no way harmed the Wii U version!

The Switch version is cleraly the best, but it is also a brand new one and partially a greatest hits. I understand that the competitve community loves Melee, but I prefer the Switch and even the Wii U versions. Wave dashing just isn't fun for the casual player. I even know quite a few players who prefer the newer games since more characters are viable than Melee.

If Smash Wii U was Wii U only, people would have been more interested to buy a Wii U as 3DS version hurt the sales and that is fact.

Man does the 8th gen suck outside of Switch/3DS/PS Vita and PC even though I do not like PC Gaming.

Voor

Postby Voor » January 18th, 2019, 5:22 pm

I’m actually of the process of deciding on a new system: either 2DSXL or a switch. The thing is, I play only 1-2 hours/week and it’s perfectly fine it’s that’s only Mario Kart and Smash (those are games that I can jump into online play for a challenge).

So, I have to decide between MK7 and Smash 3DS, or MK8 and Ultimate. Seems like a no-brainer, but it’s also $175 vs $450 (Console + games + controller).

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » January 18th, 2019, 8:14 pm

Sonicx9 wrote:
ptdebate wrote:

Simple they could have combined both versions to make it bigger and better as the critic was underwhelmed with the games Wii U version.

It's not a zero sum game, Sonic. With big titles like Smash, Nintendo taps into practically unlimited resources to make the best product they possibly can. You know how much money they made during the Wii/DS era. Think of Smash, Mario, Zelda, etc. as "too big to fail." Separate teams are dedicated to developing separate versions. The throughline in your arguments is a fundamental misunderstanding of how game development actually works. There's an internal logic to your thinking, but it has no connection to reality outside of your mind.

Return to “Modern Gaming”