Super Smash Bros. Ultimate vs Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
User avatar
ptdebate
Posts: 1044
Joined: April 7th, 2015, 8:39 pm

Re: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate vs Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Postby ptdebate » January 18th, 2019, 8:20 pm

Voor wrote:I’m actually of the process of deciding on a new system: either 2DSXL or a switch. The thing is, I play only 1-2 hours/week and it’s perfectly fine it’s that’s only Mario Kart and Smash (those are games that I can jump into online play for a challenge).

So, I have to decide between MK7 and Smash 3DS, or MK8 and Ultimate. Seems like a no-brainer, but it’s also $175 vs $450 (Console + games + controller).


That's a tough one. You really can't go wrong either way, but with the Switch think of it like you're getting two consoles in one - a portable and a TV console. If you are only interested in the portable aspect, maybe go with the 3DS. It has a practically unlimited supply of good games and you'd do well to get in now before they start getting expensive.

Sonicx9
Posts: 1407
Joined: April 27th, 2015, 6:37 pm

Re: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate vs Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Postby Sonicx9 » January 18th, 2019, 10:01 pm

Voor wrote:I’m actually of the process of deciding on a new system: either 2DSXL or a switch. The thing is, I play only 1-2 hours/week and it’s perfectly fine it’s that’s only Mario Kart and Smash (those are games that I can jump into online play for a challenge).

So, I have to decide between MK7 and Smash 3DS, or MK8 and Ultimate. Seems like a no-brainer, but it’s also $175 vs $450 (Console + games + controller).


At least for MK7 to MK8 at least those where completely different games, why can they not do the same for Smash it makes little sense.

Sonicx9
Posts: 1407
Joined: April 27th, 2015, 6:37 pm

Re: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate vs Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Postby Sonicx9 » January 18th, 2019, 10:31 pm

ptdebate wrote:
Sonicx9 wrote:
ptdebate wrote:
Why would the Critic have given the Wii U version a better grade if the 3DS version had not existed?


Simple they could have combined both versions to make it bigger and better as the critic was underwhelmed with the games Wii U version.


It's not a zero sum game, Sonic. With big titles like Smash, Nintendo taps into practically unlimited resources to make the best product they possibly can. You know how much money they made during the Wii/DS era. Think of Smash, Mario, Zelda, etc. as "too big to fail." Separate teams are dedicated to developing separate versions. The throughline in your arguments is a fundamental misunderstanding of how game development actually works. There's an internal logic to your thinking, but it has no connection to reality outside of your mind.


Here is the thing during the Wii/DS era Nintendo did not port Zelda: Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword to the Nintendo DS or 3DS for Skyward Sword case as the DS and 3DS got different titles exclusive to their systems like it should be. Same thing for Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2 not hitting the Nintendo DS as the DS got exclusive Mario titles like it should be. And Smash Bros. Brawl forget about it.

Also here is a good video and article from both YouTube and Cinemablend that have good points related to this.

https://youtu.be/YlfOymeSkGw?t=135 The first video has a part saying that it was a huge mistake making Titanfall 1 multi-platform on Xbox 360 and PC when it was meant to be an Xbox One exclusive as that could have helped the system when it was getting a bad rep and people did not complain, double standards much. And it true that even if Nintendo took a huge loss making Smash a Wii U only game. I bet you money that more Wii U would have been picked up just for that game alone. As Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is Switch only and right now is moving sales # at great rates because its only on Switch and has no Wii U/3DS proves that single system makes a massive difference. And it goes into that weird thing that during the 2013 to 2016 period 90% to 95% of the big PS4/Xbox One/Wii U games where getting mostly quality ports on PS3/Xbox 360/PS Vita and 3DS not that far behind the bigger/more powerful systems which was never like that during the 7th gen or below shows just how weird the first few years of 8th Gen are. It was never like this especially to this degree. I could be missing something but did the PS2 get full fat ports of PS3/Xbox 360 games no, did the PS1 get full fat ports of PS2 games also no. It was only this recent gen to be like this which is nuts. And then it makes the devs nervous especially during the time frame around the 4:04 in that video link.

And this article says about it is ridiculous that big games where being shoehorned in last gen/handhelds to that extent as that was not like it in the past which goes hand and hand with the point above about Nintendo not porting their big Wii games to the Nintendo DS back in the day as the DS would have never handled it properly.: https://www.cinemablend.com/games/Why-F ... 72345.html

Am I missing something because 1 video said that Smash did not count as a Wii U exclusive: https://youtu.be/FkuL1UVHYJA?t=157 or am I relying way too much on YouTube videos/internet articles for my facts and information?

User avatar
noah98
Posts: 123
Joined: June 27th, 2015, 6:59 pm

Re: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate vs Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Postby noah98 » January 19th, 2019, 9:06 am

Sonicx9 wrote:
noah98 wrote:
ptdebate wrote:
Why would the Critic have given the Wii U version a better grade if the 3DS version had not existed?


I'm having trouble following the logic here as well. The 3DS version was a lot of fun. So many people were playing Smash on the go. For example, college campuses and public schools had a lot of students playing and appreciating a portable version. I actually had to learn how to replace a circle pad because my oldest son broke his at school! The Wii U version was also amazing. While I would have liked to have the Ice Climbers included, it didn't matter enough to "ruin" the game. If anything, the 3DS game added more interest to the series and in no way harmed the Wii U version!

The Switch version is cleraly the best, but it is also a brand new one and partially a greatest hits. I understand that the competitve community loves Melee, but I prefer the Switch and even the Wii U versions. Wave dashing just isn't fun for the casual player. I even know quite a few players who prefer the newer games since more characters are viable than Melee.


If Smash Wii U was Wii U only, people would have been more interested to buy a Wii U as 3DS version hurt the sales and that is fact.

Man does the 8th gen suck outside of Switch/3DS/PS Vita and PC even though I do not like PC Gaming.


I'm not sure you understand the definition of the word "fact." Can you show evidence to support your statement that "it is a fact" and not a hypothesis? I know quite a few people who bought both versions. How do you know that people who bought the 3DS version, did not buy the Wii U version too? Or, how many people could only afford a 3DS? Too many variables to draw a conclusion without research. Facts can be proven. Theories are ideas that need to be proven. You are entitled to your opinion, but it is just that. The Wii U had a lot of problems, but I don't think the 3DS was one of them!

Sonicx9
Posts: 1407
Joined: April 27th, 2015, 6:37 pm

Re: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate vs Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Postby Sonicx9 » January 19th, 2019, 12:27 pm

noah98 wrote:
Sonicx9 wrote:
noah98 wrote:
I'm having trouble following the logic here as well. The 3DS version was a lot of fun. So many people were playing Smash on the go. For example, college campuses and public schools had a lot of students playing and appreciating a portable version. I actually had to learn how to replace a circle pad because my oldest son broke his at school! The Wii U version was also amazing. While I would have liked to have the Ice Climbers included, it didn't matter enough to "ruin" the game. If anything, the 3DS game added more interest to the series and in no way harmed the Wii U version!

The Switch version is cleraly the best, but it is also a brand new one and partially a greatest hits. I understand that the competitve community loves Melee, but I prefer the Switch and even the Wii U versions. Wave dashing just isn't fun for the casual player. I even know quite a few players who prefer the newer games since more characters are viable than Melee.


If Smash Wii U was Wii U only, people would have been more interested to buy a Wii U as 3DS version hurt the sales and that is fact.

Man does the 8th gen suck outside of Switch/3DS/PS Vita and PC even though I do not like PC Gaming.


I'm not sure you understand the definition of the word "fact." Can you show evidence to support your statement that "it is a fact" and not a hypothesis? I know quite a few people who bought both versions. How do you know that people who bought the 3DS version, did not buy the Wii U version too? Or, how many people could only afford a 3DS? Too many variables to draw a conclusion without research. Facts can be proven. Theories are ideas that need to be proven. You are entitled to your opinion, but it is just that. The Wii U had a lot of problems, but I don't think the 3DS was one of them!


I did show more info in my last post complete with link and detailed information to make things more believable. This is one of my older post in the topic.

User avatar
Stalvern
Posts: 937
Joined: June 18th, 2016, 7:15 pm

Re: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate vs Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Postby Stalvern » January 19th, 2019, 7:43 pm

Sonicx9 wrote:I did show more info in my last post complete with link and detailed information to make things more believable. This is one of my older post in the topic.

People have disproven both your premises and your conclusions time and time again. It is nobody else's fault that you never learn. Not to mention that you linked entirely unrelated information about Titanfall instead of anything supporting your claim. Your repeated attempts to draw a parallel between the games' development processes cannot "prove" that including the Ice Climbers in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U would have increased the game's score on this site (the Critic doesn't even bother to mention their absence in his review) or that Nintendo would have made up for the profit lost by cancelling the 3DS game with sales of the Wii U console (an absolutely impossible idea). I can't believe that you're still harping on this nonsense in 2019.

Sonicx9
Posts: 1407
Joined: April 27th, 2015, 6:37 pm

Re: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate vs Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Postby Sonicx9 » January 19th, 2019, 9:46 pm

Stalvern wrote:
Sonicx9 wrote:I did show more info in my last post complete with link and detailed information to make things more believable. This is one of my older post in the topic.

People have disproven both your premises and your conclusions time and time again. It is nobody else's fault that you never learn. Not to mention that you linked entirely unrelated information about Titanfall instead of anything supporting your claim. Your repeated attempts to draw a parallel between the games' development processes cannot "prove" that including the Ice Climbers in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U would have increased the game's score on this site (the Critic doesn't even bother to mention their absence in his review) or that Nintendo would have made up for the profit lost by cancelling the 3DS game with sales of the Wii U console (an absolutely impossible idea). I can't believe that you're still harping on this nonsense in 2019.


You want me to leave this site or no, also critic did review the recent Smash Bros game and did give it a better score (B+ for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate vs Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo Wii U getting a B- originally it was a C grade game, but was updated to B-.) It does shows that being next gen only does make a game better and that is a fact. https://videogamecritic.com/switchnz.ht ... 14#rev5082

And you want me to stop watching people like ReviewTechUSA and reading articles from Cinemablend.com even if I like them? Is my problem is me trying to be a wannabe YouTuber on this site what should I do?

User avatar
Stalvern
Posts: 937
Joined: June 18th, 2016, 7:15 pm

Re: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate vs Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Postby Stalvern » January 20th, 2019, 7:30 pm

Sonicx9 wrote:You want me to leave this site or no,

I just want you to post better.

Sonicx9 wrote:also critic did review the recent Smash Bros game and did give it a better score (B+ for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate vs Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo Wii U getting a B- originally it was a C grade game, but was updated to B-.) It does shows that being next gen only does make a game better and that is a fact. https://videogamecritic.com/switchnz.ht ... 14#rev5082

He says that he likes it more because of the overwhelmingly large roster and number of stages. It has nothing to do with the system's generation or the presence/absence of a specific character. The whole reason there's a review at all is to explain his opinion of the game; you can't just make up reasons like "being next gen only" and expect agreement when the review is right there stating otherwise.

Sonicx9 wrote:And you want me to stop watching people like ReviewTechUSA and reading articles from Cinemablend.com even if I like them? Is my problem is me trying to be a wannabe YouTuber on this site what should I do?

Watch all the videos and read all the articles you want. Just have a sense of perspective and engage them in good faith, rather than accepting them unquestioningly (those videos) or putting words in their mouths (the reviews here).

Sonicx9
Posts: 1407
Joined: April 27th, 2015, 6:37 pm

Re: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate vs Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Postby Sonicx9 » January 21st, 2019, 10:39 pm

Stalvern wrote:
Sonicx9 wrote:You want me to leave this site or no,

I just want you to post better.

Sonicx9 wrote:also critic did review the recent Smash Bros game and did give it a better score (B+ for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate vs Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo Wii U getting a B- originally it was a C grade game, but was updated to B-.) It does shows that being next gen only does make a game better and that is a fact. https://videogamecritic.com/switchnz.ht ... 14#rev5082

He says that he likes it more because of the overwhelmingly large roster and number of stages. It has nothing to do with the system's generation or the presence/absence of a specific character. The whole reason there's a review at all is to explain his opinion of the game; you can't just make up reasons like "being next gen only" and expect agreement when the review is right there stating otherwise.

Sonicx9 wrote:And you want me to stop watching people like ReviewTechUSA and reading articles from Cinemablend.com even if I like them? Is my problem is me trying to be a wannabe YouTuber on this site what should I do?

Watch all the videos and read all the articles you want. Just have a sense of perspective and engage them in good faith, rather than accepting them unquestioningly (those videos) or putting words in their mouths (the reviews here).


My problem was, one of the reason I hated on the 8th gen consoles was this article: https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/wiki/guide and a friend I have in real life which I will not name. But what I should do is try to do opinions on myself, not try copying other peoples and be a bandwagon freak which I admit because I try too hard at being a YouTube style celebrity on the forums which does not work well for this website.

And that link is very black and white and that one thing I can not stand about the PC Master Race community.

Voor
Posts: 731
Joined: April 14th, 2015, 8:08 pm

Re: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate vs Super Smash Bros. for Wii U

Postby Voor » January 22nd, 2019, 6:20 pm

Lol. I admire your transparency. No celebrities here, just dudes trying to pass the time discussing a beloved hobby. Don’t try to hard to make an impression.


Return to “Modern Gaming”