Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Xbox One down on Wednesday

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 31st, 2019, 9:24 pm

I was reading the comments about this story:
https://games.slashdot.org/story/19/01/ ... s-are-down

This one in particular resonated with me:

Many of us care, but we're called Luddites, old men, and paranoid.

We should embrace modern technology and stop being so cranky we're told.

Meanwhile people who know almost nothing about setting up computers or a network are buying connected devices, and letting them have free rein on their network with s--- like UPnP, which just turns off all the security.

They find their creepy baby monitor talking in strange voices to their children. They buy a Barbie which uploads everything their child to someone's server.

Hell, they install locks that allows Amazon to open your door to strangers.

Congratulations, you've put complex networked devices with major security ramifications to people who can barely operate their TV remote.

But it's people like me who have been in IT for 25+ years who are the ones trying to explain why this is a terrible idea, and being dismissed as alarmist. OK, well, fine, let's ignore what I do for a living and how 6 months ago you could barely access your own wifi.

Everyone is so obsessed with their connected gadgets they've stopped listening to the people they used to ask how to get onto the interwebs. Because they're all experts, and the devices undermine their security for them.

They all want shiny and easy, but they have no idea of what else is happening.

ptdebate

Re: Xbox One down on Wednesday

Postby ptdebate » January 31st, 2019, 10:03 pm

I definitely agree about smart home devices - the benefits for these companies far outweigh the utility for users...

Help me understand though - what does this have to do with Xbox Live being down on Wednesday (I assume this is what the title is about?)

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » January 31st, 2019, 10:14 pm

EDIT: I think I get it now after reading the link.

Did anyone here experience this?

Perhaps another reason why PC gaming is better...

scotland

Postby scotland » February 1st, 2019, 6:42 am

There was just an article in a major newspaper about the boom in home security cameras and how scary and invasive those can be....plus the babycam articles and others.

And of course my smartphone is scary beyond belief. I was checking to see if I could take some young people out to a venue, and my phone told me when I was last there, and how long I stayed. It had all that information right there - unrequested.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 1st, 2019, 6:18 pm

I think the point is that a lot of people put blind trust in technology, as if the internet was a benevolent thing created to bring happiness to the world.

I have a much more cynical view of computers and the internet because I know how they actually work.

GTS

Postby GTS » February 1st, 2019, 6:55 pm

"They find their creepy baby monitor talking in strange voices to their children. They buy a Barbie which uploads everything their child to someone's server.

Hell, they install locks that allows Amazon to open your door to strangers."

99.99999999% of baby monitors don't have creepy voices. Highlighting very rare instances is a poor form of arguing.

Paranoia can be very debilitating to people, and to the society in general.

GameOfThrones

Postby GameOfThrones » February 1st, 2019, 8:59 pm

I was playing with my xbox 1 on Wednesday, Thursday and did not notice anything unusual.

As to security. Most cameras and the like have a default password of password. Some of those defaults cannot be changed by the user. It is down to poor manufacturing.

Though I had to laugh at Christmas in Europe. Everyone turned on their echo devices which are basically a link to a cloud server at amazon and the whole thing stopped working. A link that records everything you say. whether it is on or off. It still listens to you.

I had the xbox with kinect and it used to listen to me all of the time. So I unplugged it.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » February 1st, 2019, 10:25 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I think the point is that a lot of people put blind trust in technology, as if the internet was a benevolent thing created to bring happiness to the world.

I have a much more cynical view of computers and the internet because I know how they actually work.

I think it's important to realize however that an opportunity for a company to make more money does not necessarily equate to anything sinister for the end user. Then again, as a network user how can I be absolutely certain my personal data will not be misused?

I manage restaurants for a living, and let me tell you, the only way restaurants are able to stay in business is to try to get as much money out of people's wallets as possible. Doesn't mean that you won't have an excellent experience at one of my restaurants. Then again, as a diner, how can I be sure I won't get food poisoning?

Paranoia is a dangerous force. As the Ancient Greeks said, everything in moderation!

Stalvern

Postby Stalvern » February 1st, 2019, 10:40 pm

GTS wrote:"They find their creepy baby monitor talking in strange voices to their children. They buy a Barbie which uploads everything their child to someone's server.

Hell, they install locks that allows Amazon to open your door to strangers."

99.99999999% of baby monitors don't have creepy voices. Highlighting very rare instances is a poor form of arguing.

Paranoia can be very debilitating to people, and to the society in general.

Most baby monitors aren't "smart" devices either. In any case, the original poster is just citing high-profile examples of the problem he's talking about, not pretending that these things happen 100% of the time.

Return to “Modern Gaming”