Google Stadia aka the most anti Video Game Critic console ever!

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Sonicx9
Posts: 1818
Joined: April 27th, 2015, 6:37 pm

Google Stadia aka the most anti Video Game Critic console ever!

Postby Sonicx9 » March 19th, 2019, 3:12 pm

Simple it a cloud streaming only console with no physical media and requires internet connection the worst things for critic ever.

More info on the console here: https://gematsu.com/2019/03/google-anno ... orm-stadia

Like Critic as a more physical focused gamer, this device is not for me at all, and for people like critic it his worst nightmare to ever happen.

User avatar
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin
Posts: 12938
Joined: April 1st, 2015, 7:23 pm

Re: Google Stadia aka the most anti Video Game Critic console ever!

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 19th, 2019, 8:11 pm

This is going to be a huge fail.

The only benefit I can see is the ability to pick up and play the same game on multiple devices. But how many serious gamers want to play their favorite game on their phones?

Not to mention the fact that Google has a track record for abandoning most of their new projects after a short period of time.

Sonicx9
Posts: 1818
Joined: April 27th, 2015, 6:37 pm

Re: Google Stadia aka the most anti Video Game Critic console ever!

Postby Sonicx9 » March 19th, 2019, 8:51 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:This is going to be a huge fail.

The only benefit I can see is the ability to pick up and play the same game on multiple devices. But how many serious gamers want to play their favorite game on their phones?

Not to mention the fact that Google has a track record for abandoning most of their new projects after a short period of time.


100% agree, it a dumpster fire and a hard pass for me. I am sticking with the Nintendo Switch as this thing is going to bomb big time!

User avatar
pacman000
Posts: 940
Joined: December 30th, 2015, 9:04 am

Re: Google Stadia aka the most anti Video Game Critic console ever!

Postby pacman000 » March 20th, 2019, 10:08 am

Google already tried to make a TV-box. It was released, but went no where. This'll only be a success if Google throws $100 million+ into marketing.

User avatar
ptdebate
Posts: 1070
Joined: April 7th, 2015, 8:39 pm

Re: Google Stadia aka the most anti Video Game Critic console ever!

Postby ptdebate » March 20th, 2019, 11:20 am

Funny how their slogan is "a gaming platform for everyone" when the U.S. specifically has such bad internet availability throughout vast sections of the country that accessing a service like this would be impossible for many, many people.

User avatar
txsizzler
Posts: 48
Joined: April 12th, 2015, 8:21 am

Re: Google Stadia aka the most anti Video Game Critic console ever!

Postby txsizzler » March 20th, 2019, 12:54 pm

While it's a hard pass from me too, I don't see it being a total fail, at least not initially. A lot depends on how actually good it will run, when released, as well as the games available, and how it will effect mobile platforms (not to mention data caps).

That said, Google will have a tough time in this market, but if they play their cards right, and give everything promised, I do see a market for this.

Sonicx9
Posts: 1818
Joined: April 27th, 2015, 6:37 pm

Re: Google Stadia aka the most anti Video Game Critic console ever!

Postby Sonicx9 » March 20th, 2019, 6:39 pm

pacman000 wrote:Google already tried to make a TV-box. It was released, but went no where. This'll only be a success if Google throws $100 million+ into marketing.


LOL, true!

ptdebate wrote:Funny how their slogan is "a gaming platform for everyone" when the U.S. specifically has such bad internet availability throughout vast sections of the country that accessing a service like this would be impossible for many, many people.


True!

txsizzler wrote:While it's a hard pass from me too, I don't see it being a total fail, at least not initially. A lot depends on how actually good it will run, when released, as well as the games available, and how it will effect mobile platforms (not to mention data caps).

That said, Google will have a tough time in this market, but if they play their cards right, and give everything promised, I do see a market for this.


So true, but not getting my hopes up!

User avatar
DrLitch
Posts: 298
Joined: July 19th, 2017, 12:57 pm

Re: Google Stadia aka the most anti Video Game Critic console ever!

Postby DrLitch » March 20th, 2019, 7:18 pm

I hate to say this but...

It is inevitable that gaming will move to the cloud and your device will be merely a screen, controls, and very basic hardware.

I hate the concept, I may give up gaming when this happens or just play retro.

I wish failure on nobody, at least not because of my personal opinion but...
F@%# this S#@%!

Sonicx9
Posts: 1818
Joined: April 27th, 2015, 6:37 pm

Re: Google Stadia aka the most anti Video Game Critic console ever!

Postby Sonicx9 » March 20th, 2019, 9:00 pm

DrLitch wrote:I hate to say this but...

It is inevitable that gaming will move to the cloud and your device will be merely a screen, controls, and very basic hardware.

I hate the concept, I may give up gaming when this happens or just play retro.

I wish failure on nobody, at least not because of my personal opinion but...
F@%# this S#@%!


LOL, sad but true!

djc
Posts: 85
Joined: September 24th, 2016, 3:42 pm

Re: Google Stadia aka the most anti Video Game Critic console ever!

Postby djc » March 21st, 2019, 12:54 am

This feels like an Ouya in the making. Now don't get me wrong, I like the Ouya and actually still play mine from time to time but the "AAA" titles never materialized and all the system got was ports of mostly 8 and 16-bit independent titles.

I am assuming this is going to work through some form of casting where the game actually runs remotely but streams to your local screen (phone, laptop, etc...). Not so sure how I feel about that because once the system is retired and the servers go offline, it's pretty much a paperweight.

At least if and when the Ouya servers go offline, I can still sideload games to run poorly on the device itself.


Return to “Modern Gaming”