Move over, ATGames. M2 is here to save the day!

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
BanjoPickles

Move over, ATGames. M2 is here to save the day!

Postby BanjoPickles » March 31st, 2019, 9:35 pm

https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/30/1828 ... er-19-2019

So, after countless stabs at the Mini Console market, it looks like Sega may FINALLY get it right! M2 is handling the project; they have done such an amazing job with the Sega Ages and 3D Classics lines! Everything from the fantastic box art to the initial lineup of games (Castlevania Bloodlines?? Finally!) has me excited! My only wish would be the inclusion of six button controllers for the North American release. Sticking to the three button controllers is alright from a purist’s perspective, but it would be nice if M2 took a cue from ATGames and sought out the Mortal Kombat/Street Fighter II licenses.

Regardless, I’m stoked!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Move over, ATGames. M2 is here to save the day!

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 3rd, 2019, 8:40 pm

If that's the real box then they are on the right track. It's a smaller version of the one on my wall.

lynchie137

Postby lynchie137 » April 6th, 2019, 6:07 pm

BanjoPickles wrote:https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/30/18288193/sega-genesis-mega-drive-mini-retro-console-september-19-2019

So, after countless stabs at the Mini Console market, it looks like Sega may FINALLY get it right! M2 is handling the project; they have done such an amazing job with the Sega Ages and 3D Classics lines! Everything from the fantastic box art to the initial lineup of games (Castlevania Bloodlines?? Finally!) has me excited! My only wish would be the inclusion of six button controllers for the North American release. Sticking to the three button controllers is alright from a purist’s perspective, but it would be nice if M2 took a cue from ATGames and sought out the Mortal Kombat/Street Fighter II licenses.

Regardless, I’m stoked!

I'm also hoping that they'll eventually release a version of this console with 6 button controllers as well. Because what if they do get the licenses for the MK and Street Fighter franchises? Not to mention games like Eternal Champions, Lost Vikings and Primal Rage? It's near or next to impossible to play any of these games with the standard 3 button controller, and if those games are included on the console but there's no 6 button controller, that could be a deal breaker for this person here, as far as I'm concerned.

That being said, I'm also pretty excited about this latest mini console. Going by the partial list of games I've seen for it so far. Fingers, eyes and toes crossed that this one actually lives up to the hype....

lynchie137

Postby lynchie137 » April 6th, 2019, 6:19 pm

One quick question I'd like to ask: Will you be able to add your own ROMS to it via an SD card or by hacking it?

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » April 10th, 2019, 5:44 pm

lynchie137 wrote:One quick question I'd like to ask: Will you be able to add your own ROMS to it via an SD card or by hacking it?

Nobody knows yet. Been no confirmation of a SD card slot.

I did notice the fake cartridge slot flaps being operable in a video, so perhaps a SD port is lurking inside? Seems like a rather unnecessary frill if it's just there for looks and isn't hiding something that otherwise would mar the appearance of the system.

lynchie137

Postby lynchie137 » April 11th, 2019, 5:30 pm

Atariboy wrote:
lynchie137 wrote:One quick question I'd like to ask: Will you be able to add your own ROMS to it via an SD card or by hacking it?

Nobody knows yet. Been no confirmation of a SD card slot.

I did notice the fake cartridge slot flaps being operable in a video, so perhaps a SD port is lurking inside? Seems like a rather unnecessary frill if it's just there for looks and isn't hiding something that otherwise would mar the appearance of the system.

Oh, I hope that is indeed the case. Because to me and a lot of gamers out there, collecting games for these older systems is getting to be an increasingly expensive propostion. And one that is not easy on the old pocketbook. So for a lot of us, dumping ROMS on an SD card and playing them on a computer via an emulator (or in my case, the Retro Bit generations plug and play console) is the best, and only, way to play these old games.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » April 12th, 2019, 6:06 am

You may want to consider the Analogue Mega SG then. It's an extremely accurate high-definition Sega Genesis reproduction running on a fpga computer.

Via a firmware update, you're able to load up a SD card with all original Genesis software other than Virtua Racing with its onboard processor, as well as almost all 8-bit Sega software for the Master System/SG-1000/Game Gear platforms (And Colecovision, presumably thanks to the similarities with the SG-1000).

The only flaw as of now is that you can't hook up a 32X (Sega CD does work however).

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » April 18th, 2019, 12:03 pm

Update: https://www.destructoid.com/sega-reveal ... 0682.phtml not only that but license games like Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse and World of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck, does this mean Cool Spot joins the fray?

LoganRuckman

Postby LoganRuckman » April 18th, 2019, 3:14 pm

I hate to be that guy, but I'm going to be that guy. This is great news and all, but when is Sega going to realize that they made more than one console? How many times are they going to re-release Genesis games? When are we going to get more Saturn/Dreamcast/Master System/Game Gear compilations or mini systems? Why am I asking you all these questions?

pacman000

Postby pacman000 » April 19th, 2019, 7:08 pm

Saturn & Dreamcast are probably still to hard to emulate; Master System & Game Gear probably don't have enough nostalgia behind them to be marketable.

Return to “Modern Gaming”