Page 1 of 1

New Golf Games?

Posted: April 12th, 2019, 3:48 pm
by VideoGameCritic
Watching the Masters has put me in the mood to play golf. Any good new golf games out there this year?

Re: New Golf Games?

Posted: April 12th, 2019, 4:28 pm
by snakeboy
This might not be exactly what you're looking for, but you might want to try Golf Story for the Switch. It's actually an RPG centered around golf. I have the game but haven't gotten around to playing it yet. It sounds pretty fun though, with lots of side quests that feature golfing mini games where you can earn experience and money to upgrade your skills and equipment.

Here's Nintendo Life's review that will give you a better idea of what the game is like:

http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/swi ... golf_story

And yes, there is a physical version, which is only available at Best Buy:

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/golf-story ... Id=6308322

Re: New Golf Games?

Posted: April 12th, 2019, 7:40 pm
by VideoGameCritic
Thanks for the suggestion snakeboy! I just ordered that from Best Buy's web site, along with the new Windjammer.

I'm also going to look into the Golf Club 2019 for the PS4.

Re: New Golf Games?

Posted: April 12th, 2019, 11:46 pm
by Sonicx9
VideoGameCritic wrote:Thanks for the suggestion snakeboy! I just ordered that from Best Buy's web site, along with the new Windjammer.


Also related you may want to check out Super Meat Boy (big indie hit physical): https://www.bestbuy.com/site/super-meat ... Id=6308310, Battle Chef Brigade Deluxe: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/battle-che ... Id=6308306, Yooka-Laylee (comes with latest patch backed in save for the 64bit mode DLC): https://www.bestbuy.com/site/yooka-layl ... Id=6308305 and Child of Light Ultimate Edition + Valiant Hearts: The Great War (two critically acclaimed UBIart games physical only on Switch as the other systems or download only save for the obscure PS Vita physical version of Child of Light.): https://www.bestbuy.com/site/child-of-l ... Id=6323000 all physical bestbuy exclusve download only hits critic that you don't want to miss!

Re: New Golf Games?

Posted: April 13th, 2019, 9:53 am
by VideoGameCritic
Sonic, you are helpful as usual, but I don't think it's necessary to include all those links in your posts. Those links make the post hard to read, and people can always search for themselves. Thanks.

I also want to mention Best Buy's web site is much improved since the last time I used it! I could even pay via paypal. And they seem to have exclusive games you can't get from Amazon.

Re: New Golf Games?

Posted: April 13th, 2019, 11:55 am
by Sonicx9
VideoGameCritic wrote:Sonic, you are helpful as usual, but I don't think it's necessary to include all those links in your posts. Those links make the post hard to read, and people can always search for themselves. Thanks.

I also want to mention Best Buy's web site is much improved since the last time I used it! I could even pay via paypal. And they seem to have exclusive games you can't get from Amazon.


Next time for situations like this I will just post one link for only at BestBuy to make it easier to read.

As for BestBuy itself it a good thing for physical fans as if GaneStop implodes soon which is possible. This can be the successor for physical video game fans.

If GamesmStop goes under plan to pick up loads of Switch games. Will let people know when the time comes.

Re: New Golf Games?

Posted: April 13th, 2019, 3:34 pm
by Retro STrife
I second snakeboy. Golf Story isn’t a traditional golf game, but it is one of the highest rated games on the Switch. In fact, it’s the only Switch game I own! I don’t even own a Switch and I already bought that game because it looked interesting and I think that physical copies were only given a limited release.

Re: New Golf Games?

Posted: April 14th, 2019, 1:37 pm
by Rev
I finished Golf Story yesterday, was pretty good although there are a lot of "errands" to run in the game. Things such as "pick up 190 Gold balls", run through the course, go talk to this person and hit the type of shot they request, are prevalent throughout the game. I think you probably spend about 65% of the time doing errands and the remaining 35% actually playing Golf. However, as you unlock things throughout the game you can play on the quick play mode whenever you want.

The entire campaign takes about 14-17 hours and despite the errands, the game is actually pretty fun. The nice part is you can take the game with you since the Switch can be played off your tv. I did notice that the gold swings reacted a bit differently from portable mode compared to playing on the tv. Not a big deal but was noticeable.