Mortal Kombat 11

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Mortal Kombat 11

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 3rd, 2019, 2:00 pm

I was psyched to pick up Mortal Kombat 11 for the PS4 so I stopped by the local Best Buy. No sign of the game for any system, and no one even asking to help, so I walked out.

According to the internet, the game was released on April 23. I checked the Target web site and it's there. Guess I'll have to drive over there. This is why people don't buy stuff from stores anymore. It's so much easier (and more reliable) to just order online.

Anybody else have this game? Thoughts?

Sonicx9

Re: Mortal Kombat 11

Postby Sonicx9 » May 3rd, 2019, 2:09 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I was psyched to pick up Mortal Kombat 11 for the PS4 so I stopped by the local Best Buy. No sign of the game for any system, and no one even asking to help, so I walked out.

According to the internet, the game was released on April 23. I checked the Target web site and it's there. Guess I'll have to drive over there. This is why people don't buy stuff from stores anymore. It's so much easier (and more reliable) to just order online.

Anybody else have this game? Thoughts?

Good thing going for PS4 as Switch requires day 1 update (yuck!)

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 3rd, 2019, 3:00 pm

If your game requires a day one update, you shipped a broken game.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » May 3rd, 2019, 3:11 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:If your game requires a day one update, you shipped a broken game.

Exactly, and their is a reason why some Switch games do it as well, it because they want smaller carts, and also do DRM to screw you over such as this.: https://www.destructoid.com/apparently- ... 1040.phtml people need to speak out at this point.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » May 3rd, 2019, 7:24 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:I stopped by the local Best Buy.

This store is rapidly becoming redundant. Sad... Lots of stuff at my local is now on a per order basis- take card to front they order you pick up or they deliver. Sad. Their PC and Laptop selection, while carrying somewhat decent items (Surface Books, Razer Blade Laptops, Alienware and so on), are all available online and it does not take long to fire up Safari and reveal cheaper prices, free shipping also....

VideoGameCritic wrote:Anybody else have this game? Thoughts?

Yup ordered it on Steam and promptly got it refunded. Micro Transactions, Dead or Alive / Street Fighter V. Hate this s##t. Very solid game otherwise but I refuse to buy games any longer where I have to spend double or triple the initial investment for content. I am okay with DLC if it further develops on the original game, but buying characters etc from the get up go, kiss my a$$.... Glad I got this on Steam as well, refund was easy. Will probably repurchase this game in a few years when prices bottom out.

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » May 3rd, 2019, 8:11 pm

To my knowledge, the Switch version has a Day 1 update because only about 1/3 of the game is stored on the cartridge. The rest has to be downloaded to sort of "fill in the blanks" before you can play it. I know, I know, it just doesn't make any sense to ship a partial game on a cartridge. I'm not in favor of it, and it's one of several cases where the game producer has lost my business due to this particular practice. NBA 2K was another example, along with Starlink. As much as I wanted that boxed set with the Star Fox Arwing toy, there was no point in me buying a video game that I couldn't play due to storage issues. Some games have optional installs (such as Doom) but for MK 11 and Starlink, nope, you're stuck.

Really, I don't mind having to install a game, but given the Switch's puny internal memory, installing a complete game should't mean I have to buy a memory card in the process. It reminds me of the days of the original Playstation, when us console users were used to games saving their data to the actual game cartridges. I was *so confused* by the concept of a memory card for disc-based systems. "Whadya mean, I can't save my game to the system?" It's one of the main reasons I bought a Saturn over a Playstation - the Saturn had on-board storage, while the Playstation did not. Sure, that save battery has died a few times over the years, but at least I wan't required to shell out another $30, on top of the console itself, just for the "right" to save my game. Total BS then, total BS now, in my opinion.

I wonder if MK 11 has an update if you install it straight from the eShop? Not that I'll try it, but I am curious.

I will probably pick this game up around Black Friday, likely for the Xbox One. Between that system and my Switch, I like the controller on the Xbox better for fighting games. That D-Pad is completely boss! Two of the three Xbox One games I currently own are fighters (Killer Instinct and Mortal Kombat X) and I'm looking to add to that list. I just don't want to pay more than I have to when I decide to pull the trigger. If the game clocks in at $20 or so this November, SOLD!!

noah98

Postby noah98 » May 4th, 2019, 7:35 am

If you can't play a game without updating first, there's no point in having it on physical media other than being able to trade it in for $2 at Gamestop or sell it on ebay. Years from now when the online services from Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo close down or remove old updates, you will have an unplayable coaster or cartridge. I know updates can be necessary, but the game should at least be playable without them.

As for Mortal Kombat 11, I really want to play it, but I have a strategy when it comes to Netherealm fighting games. I always wait a year for the complete version. Characters should not be DLC. It just makes the game seem incomplete. I don't mind cosmetics and even stages, but not characters. I made the mistake of buying Street Fighter V when it launched and what I got was a bare bones game that didn't even have an arcade mode! I waited a year for Mortal Kombat X and was rewarded with the cheaper XL version that had all of the characters. Did the same with Injustice 2.

Even if a complete version is not going to happen, the game will still be much cheaper in a year. That's what happened with the new Tekken, although I'm still disappointed by that one. I decided not to buy the new DOA or Soul Calibur for the same reason. They probably won't release a complete version, buy I can still decide to buy these games when they are more appropriately priced at $20 or less. That's how much a fighting game without all of the characters is worth to me. As a consumer I can vote with my wallet and send a message that this is not ok. I used to buy every fighting game, even though I'm not that good at them, for the arcade and story modes, and trying new characters. Now I'm lucky if those basic elements are even in the game at launch!

Return to “Modern Gaming”