RIP Ouya and the downside of digital only consoles.

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Sonicx9

RIP Ouya and the downside of digital only consoles.

Postby Sonicx9 » May 22nd, 2019, 9:48 pm

https://nichegamer.com/2019/05/22/ouya- ... eaHvBNuYjM

They can be shut down if the user base is inactive and the fact that this device came out in 2013 with it final games in December 2017, with the service closing down next month 6 years later. It just shows what problems come after this happens.

pacman000

Re: RIP Ouya and the downside of digital only consoles.

Postby pacman000 » May 23rd, 2019, 8:27 pm

5 years is about the average lifespan of a console, so the OUYA isn't ending early, considering is wasn't a success.

I just hope they release a patch so the system can boot up without accessing their servers. It would be wrong to brick so many systems.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » May 23rd, 2019, 8:35 pm

pacman000 wrote:5 years is about the average lifespan of a console, so the OUYA isn't ending early, considering is wasn't a success.

I just hope they release a patch so the system can boot up without accessing their servers. It would be wrong to brick so many systems.

We will find out soon enough, and unsold units likely will be destroyed, is my guess?

Buttermancan

Postby Buttermancan » May 26th, 2019, 12:41 pm

I think you can still access and play your games but all on-line features will cease. Or is that not the case?

Buttermancan

Postby Buttermancan » May 26th, 2019, 1:00 pm

After full reading of the article linked above here's a quote from Razer

"Will I still be able to play games on OUYA?"

"You will be able to play games via the OUYA platform until June 25, 2019. Once it has been shut down, access to the Discover section will no longer be available. Games downloaded that appear in Play, may still function if they do not require a purchase validation upon launch. Contact the game developer for confirmation."

This sort of practice should be investigated and perhaps made illegal?

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » May 26th, 2019, 9:00 pm

Buttermancan wrote:I think you can still access and play your games but all on-line features will cease. Or is that not the case?

You have access to what downloaded, but all online features are closed.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » May 26th, 2019, 9:03 pm

Buttermancan wrote:This sort of practice should be investigated and perhaps made illegal?

Agree, glad I did not buy an Ouya. It a scam.

djc

Postby djc » May 27th, 2019, 1:22 am

I am a little sad about this as I still fire up my Ouya every now and then but in reality, I haven't downloaded a game in a long time as my unit is rooted and I have the Google Play store available on it and can sideload games/apps.

Unfortunately, this is going to be an issue for any online/digital only console and TBH, this is where the industry seems to be headed. There is no guarantee that anyone who purchases the new "Xbox One S Digital" console will be able to use it in 5, 10, etc... years. It's a sneaky way of introducing planned obsolescence.

By comparison, I can pull out my 42 year old Atari 2600 and still play every single game I own plus new ones being developed to this day.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » May 27th, 2019, 1:30 am

djc wrote:I am a little sad about this as I still fire up my Ouya every now and then but in reality, I haven't downloaded a game in a long time as my unit is rooted and I have the Google Play store available on it and can sideload games/apps.

Unfortunately, this is going to be an issue for any online/digital only console and TBH, this is where the industry seems to be headed. There is no guarantee that anyone who purchases the new "Xbox One S Digital" console will be able to use it in 5, 10, etc... years. It's a sneaky way of introducing planned obsolescence.

By comparison, I can pull out my 42 year old Atari 2600 and still play every single game I own plus new ones being developed to this day.

Fantastic point, I still play my PS1 disc games on my PS3 and as long as you take good care of them they are yours to own. And the same with tge dreamcast both GD-Rom and new indie games printed on CD rom, it yours no matter what.

noah98

Postby noah98 » May 27th, 2019, 8:27 am

I don't play my Ouya much, but we should never lose access to what we paid for. Companies should be forced to remove all drm if they are going to stop supporting a console and no longer offer downloads, updates, etc. That way, users can still access and back up their games. And, they can't really complain about piracy because the console will be dead, new hardware won't be sold, and only those who already own the console will be able to take advantage. It's not like piracy isn't inevitable anyway.

The irony with the Ouya is that it wasn't even popular enough for users to crack the drm, so now the console will either be severely limited, or flashed with the Google Play store, becoming an underpowered Android console.

The console I have a bunch of download only games for is my PS3 (games that didn't have a physical release that I still wanted). If I can no longer access those, I'll be beyond angry!

Return to “Modern Gaming”