Google Stadia is Dead on Arrival!

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Sonicx9

Re: Google Stadia is Dead on Arrival!

Postby Sonicx9 » June 13th, 2019, 1:10 am

JWK wrote:So you guys know that I’m with you on this— I barely buy games that are digital-only anymore— but I’m gonna play devil’s advocate... just for fun.

I believe “Netflix of Gaming” is the future for the medium. I don’t want it to be, but it’s probably where the industry is headed. Microsoft’s Game Pass and Sony’s PS Now services are evidence of that. But that future isn’t now. Google has revealed that you need at least 35 mbps download speed to get to 4K/60fps and *still* that’s theoretical until we see how Google handles the extra activity on their servers, etc. I know 35 may not seem like a lot to some of you, as many areas now have 1GB download speeds, but I wouldn’t be able to make this service work, as I live on the side of a mountain. Google obviously has the resources to float this idea until everyone has faster download speeds and gamers that don’t care about collecting, physical media, reselling or gaming preservation finally decide to go all in on streaming. We may ultimately remember Google as being to early, but we’ll also remember them as the first to the party. With apologies to the now defunct OnLive, of course.

For those brave enough to take the dive yes, for others like me, hard pass!

Return to “Modern Gaming”