No boat racing games?

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

No boat racing games?

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 30th, 2019, 6:19 pm

So I go on Amazon and look up boat racing video games and what comes up? Hydro Thunder for the Dreamcast.

There used to be a steady stream of boat or water ski games, but no more. It seems like the breath of games being released has narrowed. Now you just have the old-school 2D platformers and the Fortnite wannabes.

It really bothers me that Nintendo hasn't released a Waverace game in 15 years! What the hell is going on?

ThePixelatedGenocide

Re: No boat racing games?

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » July 1st, 2019, 7:19 am

Riptide Renegade was more than worth the $4-5 I paid for it. There can be a bit of grinding involved, unless you want the extra challenge of attempting a perfect run; but the levels are beautiful, in an over the top 90's arcade style.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » July 1st, 2019, 1:11 pm

There's AquaMoto Racing on 3ds eshop. Reviews are mixed, due to frame rate issues and it's not the most exciting stage design, but some claim it's a hidden gem.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » July 1st, 2019, 1:31 pm

Finally, have you played H2Overdrive yet? It's an arcade exclusive spiritual successor to Hydro Thunder. And unlike the last two games, there's no need at all to add a cautionary warning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1rBbG8lDJk

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 1st, 2019, 7:53 pm

H2Overdrive looks incredible. This is what I'm talking about! Why in the [expletive] are arcade games like this not being released on consoles?!?!

Cafeman

Postby Cafeman » July 1st, 2019, 8:28 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:H2Overdrive looks incredible. This is what I'm talking about! Why in the [expletive] are arcade games like this not being released on consoles?!?!

I know, it boggles the mind! The team behind Hydro Thunder Hurricane on X360 made Riptide Renegade which I think is download only, I have it on ps4. Actually I got the last 3 of their games all for $20, a good deal. Riptide ain't Hydro Thunder, but it is a fun water racing game for a while.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » July 2nd, 2019, 12:34 am

Not sure you ever grabbed it, Critic, but Hydro Thunder Hurricane has an expansion pack that adds several new tracks and boats.

https://marketplace.xbox.com/en-us/Prod ... 035841096a

Might be worth you buying considering how much you liked the base game on the Xbox 360. Not sure how you'd review it though, but worth getting just for the fun of it.

VideoGameCritic wrote:H2Overdrive looks incredible. This is what I'm talking about! Why in the [expletive] are arcade games like this not being released on consoles?!?!

Sadly, Raw Thrills wanted it to stay exclusive since they believed that it devalues the cabinet for arcade operators if people can just play it at home. And now that a respectable amount of time has been left for arcade operators to profit off their investment, it's yesterday's news and unlikely to ever appear I suspect.

Such a shame.

CharlieR

Postby CharlieR » July 22nd, 2019, 8:20 am

I like these games a lot. I have Aqua Moto Racing Utopia for the switch, it may be a bit basic, but it's still fun jet ski racing, which is always fun.

now that I think about it, were there any 16-bit jet ski racing games? I know NES had eliminator boat duel, and n64 had wave race, and so on, but I don't remember any 16-bit games.

jon

Postby jon » July 23rd, 2019, 3:50 am

I think there's no boat racing games for the same reason there's no other arcade games. They've been swallowed by AAA games. Not to worry, there's amazing 2-3 man teams making 2d games that when done perfectly sort of resemble an NES game. Brilliant.

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » July 23rd, 2019, 5:48 am

VGC give Riptide Renegade a try on the Switch. It is download only but worth a shot. Not a great game but I had some fun with it. I played the spilt screen set up with my daughter and that was enjoyable as well.

Return to “Modern Gaming”