A must watch video on Video Games Are Disposable Entertainment for Delisted, Extinct, Closed Servers & Lost Access games

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Sonicx9

A must watch video on Video Games Are Disposable Entertainment for Delisted, Extinct, Closed Servers & Lost Access games

Postby Sonicx9 » August 9th, 2019, 4:19 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSxNbio ... e=youtu.be

It something that needs to be watched as it is a problem for modern gaming. It also shows why all this online/digital cloud streaming is a big problem.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: A must watch video on Video Games Are Disposable Entertainment for Delisted, Extinct, Closed Servers & Lost Access g

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 9th, 2019, 6:57 pm

Concur this is a very thoughtful video that delves into a lot of issues about online play I've raised over the years.
If the future is truly digital, we will all be at the mercy of the publishing companies who are only out to earn a buck.

Sonicx9

Re: A must watch video on Video Games Are Disposable Entertainment for Delisted, Extinct, Closed Servers & Lost Access g

Postby Sonicx9 » August 9th, 2019, 10:03 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Concur this is a very thoughtful video that delves into a lot of issues about online play I've raised over the years.
If the future is truly digital, we will all be at the mercy of the publishing companies who are only out to earn a buck.

Indeed in fact you should check out Jim Sterling videos on YouTube as he is critical on the online live service future we are in.

SuperiorShark

Postby SuperiorShark » August 11th, 2019, 11:13 am

I feel like part of the problem is that for the most part people don't seem to value these things. Like when I buy a game I buy it with the hope and expectation that I will treasure it always. Even if it's something I never play again, it's always there on my shelf for if I ever feel like popping it into my console and reliving some memories. It seems like most people just latch on to whatever is popular, play it for how ever long and then move on to the next thing without so much as a second thought and this has been true long before digital gaming, online servers and season passes and all that.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » August 11th, 2019, 1:57 pm

Superior Shark makes a good point. When I was a kid I would take such good care of my games, keeping the boxes and manuals organized and in great condition.

But there were other kids that would toss the box and manual into the trash, and frankly not treat the cartridge much better.

Maybe there are two types of people?

Matchstick

Postby Matchstick » August 11th, 2019, 4:06 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Maybe there are two types of people?

Not a bad point at all.

In my eyes, it's not much different than people that collect cards or comics, or even toys. There's those that have their baseball cards carefully curated into mylar sleeves placed into three-ring binders, organized by release number. Then there's those of us that just toss them in a shoebox, or use them as a bookmark, or stick our favorites to the wall with thumbtacks. Same with comics, as there are those types that always "bag and board" each issue they get, while others will just toss them in a cardboard box or leave them in piles around the house.

I guess it all comes down to how much you value your entertainment. If gaming is a serious hobby of yours, sure, you'll take care of your collection and take the necessary steps to preserve it. If you're just gaming every now and then and have other, greater interests, then yeah, you probably don't value your games as much, leaving those stacks of discs or cartridges just hanging out on your bookshelf waiting for your cat to come by and knock them over with their tail. Not that that's ever happened to me, or anything...

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » September 3rd, 2019, 8:39 am

Rather late, but better late then never.

SuperiorShark wrote:I feel like part of the problem is that for the most part people don't seem to value these things. Like when I buy a game I buy it with the hope and expectation that I will treasure it always. Even if it's something I never play again, it's always there on my shelf for if I ever feel like popping it into my console and reliving some memories. It seems like most people just latch on to whatever is popular, play it for how ever long and then move on to the next thing without so much as a second thought and this has been true long before digital gaming, online servers and season passes and all that.

VideoGameCritic wrote:Superior Shark makes a good point. When I was a kid I would take such good care of my games, keeping the boxes and manuals organized and in great condition.

But there were other kids that would toss the box and manual into the trash, and frankly not treat the cartridge much better.

Maybe there are two types of people?

Matchstick wrote:
VideoGameCritic wrote:Maybe there are two types of people?

Not a bad point at all.

In my eyes, it's not much different than people that collect cards or comics, or even toys. There's those that have their baseball cards carefully curated into mylar sleeves placed into three-ring binders, organized by release number. Then there's those of us that just toss them in a shoebox, or use them as a bookmark, or stick our favorites to the wall with thumbtacks. Same with comics, as there are those types that always "bag and board" each issue they get, while others will just toss them in a cardboard box or leave them in piles around the house.

I guess it all comes down to how much you value your entertainment. If gaming is a serious hobby of yours, sure, you'll take care of your collection and take the necessary steps to preserve it. If you're just gaming every now and then and have other, greater interests, then yeah, you probably don't value your games as much, leaving those stacks of discs or cartridges just hanging out on your bookshelf waiting for your cat to come by and knock them over with their tail. Not that that's ever happened to me, or anything...

You guys all nailed it about how people treat physical games, they treat them as disposable entertainment and not care to perserv or take care of their purchased products.

Return to “Modern Gaming”