Intellivision Amico Info

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
lynchie137

Re: Intellivision Amico Info

Postby lynchie137 » August 12th, 2020, 3:20 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Yeah $250 is pretty steep. I think if they could hit that magical $199 price point it would move a lot more units.

Yeah. That is a nice chunk of change for sure. But when you take into account some of the launch prices for some other consoles ( like the 700 bucks people were asked to pay for the 3DO back in the day. Yikes!!!!), it's not really all that bad. That being said, it would be nice to see it drop down in price by a few bucks when it does hit the stores....

VicViper

Postby VicViper » August 13th, 2020, 1:00 pm

Yeah, from what I've seen, I don't know what would justify a 250$ price tag. At least the games are gonna be sold cheap, but they look cheaply made for the most part. For a system that aims for families & casual fun, that seems a little steep for what's promised, and it's too close to the Switch's price. (heck, you can buy a Switch Lite for less)

I'm sure it's gonna be a system we'll lump with the XaviXPORT, the ZAPiT, and more (in)famously the OUYA. AKA it's gonna be on the market for 2 years and die a silent death.

Although part of me wants it to sell better than the Wii U just to make some of my Nintendo fanboy friends shriek. :lol:

ASalvaro

Postby ASalvaro » August 13th, 2020, 1:04 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Yeah $250 is pretty steep. I think if they could hit that magical $199 price point it would move a lot more units.

i think with the delay until next April there is a chance that the prices of the components needed will be cheaper than they are now and the price may come down..but we will see

noah98

Postby noah98 » January 21st, 2021, 7:25 pm

They are going to release information on the physical media soon! Here's a link to the teaser:

https://youtu.be/W4bV4kAGyf0

I'm intrigued by the comments. What could they possibly be doing that is so unique?

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » January 21st, 2021, 7:56 pm

noah98 wrote:They are going to release information on the physical media soon! Here's a link to the teaser:

https://youtu.be/W4bV4kAGyf0

I'm intrigued by the comments. What could they possibly be doing that is so unique?

Intriguing comments...but nothing of value. I totally forgot I pre-ordered this thing, when is it due out?

ASalvaro

Re: New Intellivision Amico trailer

Postby ASalvaro » January 22nd, 2021, 1:59 am

noah98 wrote:It's a must buy for me! The team is even working on a physical media solution.

can't wait! i just hope it's not delayed too much longer with the Covid lockdowns

noah98

Postby noah98 » February 10th, 2021, 9:48 am

Looks like physical media for the Amico might actually be something new and revolutionary. I've been following this thread on Atariage:

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/31615 ... /#comments

In his responses, Tommy has asserted that

1.You do not need to be logged into the internet to play the game.
2.What they are doing is much closer to traditional physical games than some download code.
3.Your game is yours no matter what happens to the companies or services that created it.
4.What they are doing hasn't really been done before.
5. Can bring physical media to a friend's house and play.

Not sure what it's exactly going to be, but I think it will be a great compromise. Even if the solution is that games could be easily backed up, and the physical media would unlock them each time through RFID without internet, that would be fine. I could back up the games on physical media like a CD/DVD, and in the future, when the servers are gone and the system is retro, I could just load the games back up on an SD card (Amico does have an SD card slot for games) and then take out my physical version of the game and unlock the license and play. In some ways just as good as cartridges and no worry about losing access to your games like digital distribution.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » February 10th, 2021, 9:56 am

noah98 wrote:Looks like physical media for the Amico might actually be something new and revolutionary. I've been following this thread on Atariage:

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/31615 ... /#comments

In his responses, Tommy has asserted that

1.You do not need to be logged into the internet to play the game.
2.What they are doing is much closer to traditional physical games than some download code.
3.Your game is yours no matter what happens to the companies or services that created it.
4.What they are doing hasn't really been done before.
5. Can bring physical media to a friend's house and play.

Not sure what it's exactly going to be, but I think it will be a great compromise. Even if the solution is that games could be easily backed up, and the physical media would unlock them each time through RFID without internet, that would be fine. I could back up the games on physical media like a CD/DVD, and in the future, when the servers are gone and the system is retro, I could just load the games back up on an SD card (Amico does have an SD card slot for games) and then take out my physical version of the game and unlock the license and play. In some ways just as good as cartridges and no worry about losing access to your games like digital distribution.

Very interesting, will have to keep a closer eye on the Amico

ASalvaro

Postby ASalvaro » February 10th, 2021, 1:05 pm

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 13th, 2021, 9:41 am

Thanks for the update Noah. I am cautiously optimistic.

The thing is, he says you don't need to be logged in to PLAY the game. This seems to imply you still need to download the game. Which tell me the physical media still amounts to a download code. I guess we'll see....

Return to “Modern Gaming”