Intellivision Amico Info

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Voor

Re: Intellivision Amico Info

Postby Voor » December 9th, 2021, 6:52 am

Yeah, it’s very obvious who is rooting for it and who wants it to fail with an epic thud. It’s really hard to tell what the final product will be and who it will click with. All the “tommy this and tommy that” are getting a little repetitive. It’s perfectly cool to pass on a product because you don’t like the personalities behind it. But most of us want to wait until it’s released and in the wild before making a final decision.

Robotrek

Postby Robotrek » December 9th, 2021, 2:30 pm

Voor wrote:Yeah, it’s very obvious who is rooting for it and who wants it to fail with an epic thud. It’s really hard to tell what the final product will be and who it will click with. All the “tommy this and tommy that” are getting a little repetitive. It’s perfectly cool to pass on a product because you don’t like the personalities behind it. But most of us want to wait until it’s released and in the wild before making a final decision.

Displaying my dissatisfaction and predicting it will fail doesn't mean I *want* it to fail. That's just being disingenuous. There's a lot of things I've wanted to be successful that I knew wouldn't be in the past. Speculation of failure is not rooting for failure. There's a difference. :)

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » December 9th, 2021, 4:17 pm

Robotrek wrote:
Voor wrote:Yeah, it’s very obvious who is rooting for it and who wants it to fail with an epic thud. It’s really hard to tell what the final product will be and who it will click with. All the “tommy this and tommy that” are getting a little repetitive. It’s perfectly cool to pass on a product because you don’t like the personalities behind it. But most of us want to wait until it’s released and in the wild before making a final decision.

Displaying my dissatisfaction and predicting it will fail doesn't mean I *want* it to fail. That's just being disingenuous. There's a lot of things I've wanted to be successful that I knew wouldn't be in the past. Speculation of failure is not rooting for failure. There's a difference. :)

I concur. There was a time I REALLY wanted Sony to fail, though this had more to do with sibling rivalry than anything... :?

I honestly hold no grudge against the Amico, though after seeing how the media is being handled, the only way I'll get one is if someone gives me one for free. Between the Switch and the Evercade, I have too many things taking up my time for new game purchases for another system.

Voor

Postby Voor » December 9th, 2021, 9:11 pm

Robotrek wrote:

My bad. I read it as “Tommy is such a crappy dude with a crappy product, that I hope it crashes and burns”. Please accept my apologies.

A lot of the noise around it will die down once they actually release the dang thing. Hurry up!

Robotrek

Postby Robotrek » December 14th, 2021, 2:01 pm

The graphics are abysmal (lack of AA, serious lack of lighting effects, janky player models, it definitely has that mobile game aesthetic that the Amico is becoming known for) but the new Shark Shark looks like it could be a lot of fun. It's a bit slow looking but it has the pieces there to be worthwhile. Definitely going to be worth a look when it gets ported.

ASalvaro

Postby ASalvaro » December 16th, 2021, 3:38 am

Pandasub2000's videos are awesome! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k95DcwEOw_c

Robotrek

Postby Robotrek » December 16th, 2021, 11:47 am

I like that guy's attitude to a degree. Trying to play it neutral is always a good look.

He's right. Some of the games look fun. Which is exactly why I'm just going to wait for them to get ported to play them. :D :D

Voor

Postby Voor » December 17th, 2021, 11:44 pm

ASalvaro wrote:Pandasub2000's videos are awesome! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k95DcwEOw_c

That was an Interesting video. Because I’m much more apt to playing games 30-40 minutes at a time and don’t like to get invested in big titles, this may actually be a good system for me.

Robotrek

Postby Robotrek » December 31st, 2021, 5:06 pm

Looks like the spiritual successor to Ecco the Dolphin, aka "Dolphin Quest" isn't going to be an Amico exclusive, according to Pat Contri, who played it at some gaming expo. This is very unusual, as Tommy used terms like "we" and "our" when describing the game, it's features, and it's development.

Also, the UI was unveiled and it seems like everybody who sees it has the exact same concern. They lump games you don't own with games you do own on the little UI. Let's assume there IS actually some family out there desperate to get an Amico for some super family game night fun times. You don't think little Timmy who can barely read will just keep pressing buttons until he can play Fox N' For......erh, I mean Finnegan Fox, and charge mommy's credit card?

Voor

Postby Voor » December 31st, 2021, 7:49 pm

Robotrek wrote:Looks like the spiritual successor to Ecco the Dolphin, aka "Dolphin Quest" isn't going to be an Amico exclusive, according to Pat Contri, who played it at some gaming expo. This is very unusual, as Tommy used terms like "we" and "our" when describing the game, it's features, and it's development.

Also, the UI was unveiled and it seems like everybody who sees it has the exact same concern. They lump games you don't own with games you do own on the little UI. Let's assume there IS actually some family out there desperate to get an Amico for some super family game night fun times. You don't think little Timmy who can barely read will just keep pressing buttons until he can play Fox N' For......erh, I mean Finnegan Fox, and charge mommy's credit card?

When I buy digital games on my switch, I have to enter a password. I imagine a similar solution would be easy to implement.

Return to “Modern Gaming”