Intellivision Amico Info

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Robotrek

Re: Intellivision Amico Info

Postby Robotrek » September 20th, 2021, 11:57 pm

MSR1701 wrote:
Robotrek wrote:
ASalvaro wrote:
this part is all you need to know about the authors intentions on this hit piece
"It was also dragged up during all this that Tommy follows many right-wing, white supremacists on Twitter."

sure just because Tommy follows Candace Owens & Ben Shapiro who are NOT white supremacists this author brings it into the mix for NO reason

it's amazing the backlash this man gets..all he wanted to do is make a game console with the Intellivision name on it because he grew up with the Intellivision as a kid and loved it and wanted to make family friendly games that they can play together and also release reimagined Intellivision games that he loved as a kid and he gets all kinds of backlash and death threats despite trying to release a console during an almost 2 year long pandemic...sure he says things that maybe he shouldn't when being attacked but thats the way us Italians are..at least he tells you what he's thinking whether you like it or not and in this world we need more people to stand up for themselves and what they believe in

Oh, no. Boohoo. This poor video game company CEO. Can't you see his heart is pure and all he wanted to do was make games? :| . Why is everyone a meanie pants? :'(

..? Is that sarcasm? I honestly am unable to tell.

Yes. It was meant to be facetious. To be expected to have extreme sympathy for a pion like Tommy when folks like Phil Spencer get insane amounts of hate and untold threats, while also having far more success and integrity than Tommy is ridiculous.

He's in it for the same reason anyone else is. To make money. Too bad he forgot what makes products sell well!

ASalvaro

Postby ASalvaro » September 21st, 2021, 2:30 am

Robotrek wrote:
MSR1701 wrote:
Robotrek wrote:
Oh, no. Boohoo. This poor video game company CEO. Can't you see his heart is pure and all he wanted to do was make games? :| . Why is everyone a meanie pants? :'(

Yes. It was meant to be facetious. To be expected to have extreme sympathy for a pion like Tommy when folks like Phil Spencer get insane amounts of hate and untold threats, while also having far more success and integrity than Tommy is ridiculous.

He's in it for the same reason anyone else is. To make money. Too bad he forgot what makes products sell well!

yes it's a crime to want to make money....not going to take your bait..this site is the last place on the internet where people don't fight and i'm going to keep it that way

Robotrek

Postby Robotrek » September 21st, 2021, 6:43 am

ASalvaro wrote:
Robotrek wrote:
MSR1701 wrote:

yes it's a crime to want to make money....not going to take your bait..this site is the last place on the internet where people don't fight and i'm going to keep it that way

When did I say that it was a crime to make money? That's literally why people start businesses. You're making it seem like he created this out of the kindness of his own heart and he's just bestowing his benevolence upon us by providing us his wonderful video games. No. He for some reason believes the world is screaming for a family friendly mobile game player while simultaneously making countless pitches to the retro community. This isn't to say he doesn't have passion for video games, even I know he does. That being said, the surprise pikachu face reaction when people say mean things about him on the internet while people like Spencer and Bowser get mountains more hate and don't stoop to his level is just childlike and pathetic.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » September 21st, 2021, 8:58 am

I have to say, the Amico discussions have been some of the most divisive/polarizing discussions I've seen on this site/community.

When I hear Tommy's name, I think of music from some classic games that I've enjoyed over the years; while he is a major force behind pushing the Amico (as well as it's public face), his background is more music than business politics/PR that company execs normally have. He's doing well considering all the "Pop Quizzes" that have occurred (global pandemic, supply/material sourcing, etc.), though he has the same issue that many have with Social Media - overreaction to posts, and his responses are then taken out of context and made into the meme of the week.

I've always had, at best, a passing, casual interest in the Amico. I've always liked the Intellivision, though I've only played it in emulated games (such as the PSX and DS collections) and the Intellivision Mini system. To see the brand brought back would be a nice touch, especially after the mess that was the Coleco Chameleon system. That being said, I've always had a personal bias for portable systems, and with the Switch (Lite) being very heavily supported and the Evercade scratching that retro itch that the Switch cannot reach some times, I have reached a point that supporting an additional platform is not in the cards for me. Aside from the Evercade VS (which will use almost all the carts the portable version uses), I don't have an interest in any of the new/current consoles that are out or pending.

The Amico's game lineup is also not my cup of tea, though it is more for the aesthetics of some of the games (Astrosmash is a fun game to me, but the "pretty" graphics overhaul is more of a distraction than an enhancement) are more of a turn away function, and if not for Earthworm Jim IV, I'd pass on the library as a whole. Once released and games are out, who knows? The final big turn-off is the fact that the game media is not very clear; is it digital only (with maybe a NFC download gimmick?), or is there physical media? I do my fair share of downloads with the Switch, but given the chance I would buy physical games before a digital game.

Robotrek

Postby Robotrek » September 28th, 2021, 4:00 pm

I must say, the Cloudy Mountain gameplay they released July of last year looks really good. Credit where credit is due. It seems like it could be a great way to kill an afternoon with a buddy or two. Hopefully when this thing bombs they consider porting it to the Switch or something.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » September 28th, 2021, 7:03 pm

Robotrek wrote:I must say, the Cloudy Mountain gameplay they released July of last year looks really good. Credit where credit is due. It seems like it could be a great way to kill an afternoon with a buddy or two. Hopefully when this thing bombs they consider porting it to the Switch or something.

That is really mean. I predict the Amico is going to be the hot property of 2022. After all no one can get a ps5 or an xbox series or a oled switch so this could be the perfect mega game system to fill the gap... with newly remastered original games like Astrosmash, Original games such as penguin Armageddon, evil aliens attack Baltimore and my favourite of all of the Circus Atari 2023 the splatter house edition.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » September 28th, 2021, 7:06 pm

BlasteroidAli wrote:
Robotrek wrote:I must say, the Cloudy Mountain gameplay they released July of last year looks really good. Credit where credit is due. It seems like it could be a great way to kill an afternoon with a buddy or two. Hopefully when this thing bombs they consider porting it to the Switch or something.

That is really mean. I predict the Amico is going to be the hot property of 2022. After all no one can get a ps5 or an xbox series or a oled switch so this could be the perfect mega game system to fill the gap... with newly remastered original games like Astrosmash penguin Armageddon evil aliens attack Baltimore and my favourite of all of the Circus Atari 2023 the splatter house edition.

I figure the regular Switch n Switch Lite will do well, and there is the Evercade VS, now about a month n change out from release.

Has the physical media aspect of the Amico been clarified at all?

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » September 28th, 2021, 7:10 pm

MSR1701 wrote:
BlasteroidAli wrote:

That is really mean. I predict the Amico is going to be the hot property of 2022. After all no one can get a ps5 or an xbox series or a oled switch so this could be the perfect mega game system to fill the gap... with newly remastered original games like Astrosmash penguin Armageddon evil aliens attack Baltimore and my favourite of all of the Circus Atari 2023 the splatter house edition.

I figure the regular Switch n Switch Lite will do well, and there is the Evercade VS, now about a month n change out from release.

Has the physical media aspect of the Amico been clarified at all?

Punched cards so I hear, it is going full retro!! Nothing confirmed yet.

Robotrek

Postby Robotrek » October 9th, 2021, 3:31 pm

Well well well, we have some new-ish info.

In a (now deleted) tweet, youtuber John Riggs showed physical Amico boxes, and had the caption "I'mma open these. Soon."

Well, plain as day in the bottom right hand of the Finnegan Fox box, it says quite clearly: "Includes collector coin and 3D card". I believe the tweet was deleted because this, truly, 100%, without any shadow of a doubt CONFIRMS that ALL THAT IS IN THE BOX is a trinket that enables your Intellivision Amico to download a game. That is it.

What makes this especially annoying is the fact that Tommy PROMISED games on SD cards previously. It's a huge slap in the face to walk this back.

That said, if the reveal tomorrow completely surprises me and others with ACTUAL physical media, I will be happy to own I was wrong. But I don't see that happening. To me it truly seems like the nail has been driven into the coffin. This little bugger is ONLINE ONLY. You'll never be able to use it without connecting it to the internet.

ASalvaro

Postby ASalvaro » October 10th, 2021, 1:56 pm

Today's reveal...love how the card looks like an Intellivision cartridge
https://youtu.be/1c6y_-SQsqk

Return to “Modern Gaming”