Intellivision Amico Info

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Robotrek

Re: Intellivision Amico Info

Postby Robotrek » August 9th, 2021, 12:06 am

ASalvaro wrote:
LoganRuckman wrote:
VideoGameCritic wrote:I really can't get over how hard everybody has been on this system! I mean, Covid has messed up everything so the delays are not unexpected.

I think the game's "heart" is in the right place, trying to put the couch back into gaming. I guess the question is, are the games any good? We won't know until we get our hands on the thing.

If they have that old-school one-more-time quality, the Amico could be a hit. If the games come off as second-rate knock-offs, it won't go over well.

Critic, I love what you do and have a ton of respect for you, but we have all given legitimate reasons why we're being so critical not only in this thread, but other threads like the "10 Commandments" thread in General. It's ok to be a fan, but at this point, y'all are just being willfully ignorant. We've explained many times, and yet the Amico cult just can't except why we feel this way. I mean, Robotrek got dogpiled simply for sticking up for himself. If you actually read the posts in this thread, Robotrek never attacked Tommy, or anyone involved with this, or anyone excited for it. He simply criticized the product itself. And unless you're a corporate bootlicker, there's nothing wrong with that. It was ASalvaro who got all defensive about simple criticism, which in turn caused Robo to lash out. And I have to say, I totally agree with Robo about ASalvaro being a Tommy sock account, especially considering this is something Tommy has been accused of on multiple different platforms besides this one, as well as the similar posting style.

In all honesty, this cult of personality around Tommy and his console genuinely creeps me out. And if you look at my early posts in this thread, you'll see that I was actually quite excited for this console in the early days. So you can't even say that I'm just biased and hating just to hate. Rather, this is an example of a dev completely destroying my goodwill and trust over a long period of time.

But rather than drag this post out, I think I'm gonna start a new thread about why we're so critical and every problem I have with Amico. It'll be an incredibly long and wordy thread for sure, but I really need to get this off my chest, because the blatant simping and bootlicking over this not even released yet console is insane.

your triggered over a game console you haven't even played..or don't even want..lol don't you see anything strange about that?

If you go back to the first ten pages of this thread, Logan showed genuine interest in the console. But he's been burned by the horrible PR. He's not a biased hater. He's just a lost customer.

I love retro gaming. I want gaming to get back to it's roots. I'm literally the target demographic. But there's simply no trust between me and INTV. Rather than write me off, Tommy should be trying to put my concerns to rest and pull me in. But that's not what you....ermh.....I mean HE is doing. That's just not good marketing. Rather than write people off as haters, he SHOULD be building a large install base. But he's not remotely interested in that.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » August 9th, 2021, 5:41 am

When it comes out I will have a look at it. I am genuinely quite interested. In the way that I used to be about consoles. I am on the fence a bit but we shall have to see what it is like when it comes out.

Robotrek

Postby Robotrek » August 9th, 2021, 6:27 am

BlasteroidAli wrote:When it comes out I will have a look at it. I am genuinely quite interested. In the way that I used to be about consoles. I am on the fence a bit but we shall have to see what it is like when it comes out.

The "wait and see" approach is your best bet with this thing. If it comes out after this horrible marketing and it looks like I could have some fun with it, I'll definitely buy it. But there's hardly anything now to make me highly anticipate it.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » August 9th, 2021, 7:15 am

I will see what happens when it comes out. It is like the new Atari vcs 800. I like the look of it. Though the price puts me off and the lack of software.

The Amico has a reasonable range of games and the price is okay but we shall see what it is like when it actually comes out. Until then there is .... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQZoVB5PCR8&ab_channel=ETAPRIME

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » August 9th, 2021, 7:37 am

BlasteroidAli wrote:I will see what happens when it comes out. It is like the new Atari vcs 800. I like the look of it. Though the price puts me off and the lack of software.

The Amico has a reasonable range of games and the price is okay but we shall see what it is like when it actually comes out. Until then there is .... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQZoVB5PCR8&ab_channel=ETAPRIME

Thanks for the vid; I saw this on Amazon and was curious, but given how many scores of trash emulation systems are available on Amazon, I was skeptical.

Still plan to spend time with the Evercade... The Renovation Collection is making me very happy... :-) https://evercade.co.uk/evercade-announc ... lection-1/

Robotrek

Postby Robotrek » August 9th, 2021, 9:14 am

I'd also like to add another point about the Wii comparison a lot of people make. Back in 2006, smartphones weren't widespread. I'm not even sure if there were consumer grade tablets that could play a competent video game. PC's were still commonplace in the average family home. There was a casual gaming void that needed to be filled. But notice what happened in 2012. Nintendo released the Wii U, and had a multimillion dollar marketing campaign behind it (even if that marketing campaign had problems that caused a bit of confusion). Nobody cared. Why is that? Because people didn't give a darn about that kind of thing anymore. Nobody wanted a dedicated home device to plug into their TV to play some games every now and then. They wanted something to take with them. Smartphones and tablets had the ability to provide quick and easy gaming experiences to these people. The Switch capitalized on this interest by being a portable. Sure, it can also plug into your TV with the dock, but people honestly don't care. Most people with a Switch are playing it in handheld mode. Only the hardcore crowd is plugging it into their TV's. The Amico doesn't have this. There isn't that void for casual experiences that the whole family can enjoy anymore. Everybody has a smartphone, they can play little games to pass the time on them all they want. The Amico has Farkle? Cool. You can buy that game at Wal-Mart right now for 7 dollars. The "family fun time" soccer mom would probably prefer to sit her family down and play the actual board game anyway. Cornhole? Great. Same idea. A cornhole set is between 50 and 100 dollars. Far cheaper than an Amico, and probably a lot more appealing.

So we have people that already have smartphones and tablets for their casual games, real board games for their family fun time indoors, and actual outdoor games like cornhole and ladderball for their family fun time outdoors. So this market is UNBELIEVABLY LIMITED. The only market you're going to be able to possibly get is the old school gamer crowd like myself, and Tommy and INTV does EVERYTHING HE AND THEY CAN TO SNUB US. Got a question? You're a hater. Got a criticism? You're a hater. Skeptical on purchasing one due to your concerns? It's not for you, don't buy it. The ONE MARKET that they have to really drive this thing and make it a semi-successful niche is being snubbed left and right. But hey, none of this matters, some people said some nice things to a camera at a Crayola event! Great. That's super. Even if a couple hundred people played your console, and EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM BUY IT (extremely unlikely) you've only sold a couple hundred units.

I just don't see the ability for this thing to be groundbreaking as far as family entertainment is concerned. That market just isn't there for this thing. So I really do believe the focus should be on old school gamers like myself and others on this forum. But every time we have questions or concerns, we're just written off. And it's truly a shame, because something like this if done right really has me written all over it.

newmodelarmy

Postby newmodelarmy » August 9th, 2021, 3:16 pm

Got my $100 back from pre-order. No fuss at all. I just emailed them and they took care of it. If the Amico is ever released I will keep an eye on it and maybe even pick one up.

Voor

Postby Voor » August 9th, 2021, 4:26 pm

Perhaps it’s a “there’s no such thing as bad press” thing happening?

This thing could easily fall into obscurity, but Tommy’s got people talking about it….

Robotrek

Postby Robotrek » August 11th, 2021, 2:08 am

Voor wrote:Perhaps it’s a “there’s no such thing as bad press” thing happening?

This thing could easily fall into obscurity, but Tommy’s got people talking about it….

The Atari VCS also had a considerable amount of people talking about it. How's that going?

Voor

Postby Voor » August 11th, 2021, 7:50 pm

I can’t remember. What was the press like for the Wii before it was released?

Return to “Modern Gaming”