Intellivision Amico Info

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Voor

Re: Intellivision Amico Info

Postby Voor » June 24th, 2021, 7:08 pm

I feel like it might have a chance when I think about how the Wii was insanely popular. Of course, the Wii had name recognition, but apparently there was a very large crowd just waiting to gobble up a machine with emphasis on accessibility.

I do think that marketing and price will be critical, and I’m worried that that is where it might fail. Plus, I’m not sure how much “couch gaming” is valued among younger player who don’t have the nostalgia for yesteryear.

So I have no idea.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 24th, 2021, 9:04 pm

Don't kids still like to play games in the same room together? If not, that's kind of sad.

I think the games look like a lot of fun. Very pick-up-and-play. Easy to learn, hard to master. But we'll see.

I do think they missed the boat by not including a cartridge slot in this thing. I mean, people love to collect stuff, and I think they would have been gobbling up these games in droves. With digital media there's no sense of urgency to acquire the games.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » June 25th, 2021, 5:00 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:Don't kids still like to play games in the same room together? If not, that's kind of sad.

I think the games look like a lot of fun. Very pick-up-and-play. Easy to learn, hard to master. But we'll see.

I do think they missed the boat by not including a cartridge slot in this thing. I mean, people love to collect stuff, and I think they would have been gobbling up these games in droves. With digital media there's no sense of urgency to acquire the games.

I agree, as retro gaming and the Evercade have shown physical media is far from dead and collecting is still much desired

ASalvaro

Postby ASalvaro » June 25th, 2021, 2:18 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Don't kids still like to play games in the same room together? If not, that's kind of sad.

from everything i have gathered this is what i think the physical media is going to be
lets say you buy Night Stalker inside the box will be something related to Night Stalker like a collectable robot character from the game and on that item will be a code where u swipe it on to the Amico and you have your game and a physical collectable
and each game box will have a different collectable with the game on it

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » June 25th, 2021, 2:35 pm

ASalvaro wrote:

from everything i have gathered this is what i think the physical media is going to be
lets say you buy Night Stalker inside the box will be something related to Night Stalker like a collectable robot character from the game and on that item will be a code where u swipe it on to the Amico and you have your game and a physical collectable
and each game box will have a different collectable with the game on it

As romanticized as having a physical cart to plug in a system has become with the internet memes, there is truth in having a bit of joy to plug a cart in a system. Playing a CD/DVD on a system never had the same oomph as plugging in an SNES or GB cart when I was a kid, or even with the Evercade in recent times.
It's a very small thing, but after not using carts for so long personally (I had shelved my systems and gone to either emulation or digital-only with PSP/Vita, before rediscovering my old systems and New 3DS n Evercade), it does leave an impression.

Voor

Postby Voor » June 26th, 2021, 1:14 pm

Robotrek wrote:Still just a glorified mobile game player. Yes, I can see the "but no microtransactions" from a mile away. But this thing will flop. Oh, you're talking about couch co op? There's a switch for that. Cheap and simple experiences? There's a switch for that. This thing has no chance. Under 1 million sold easily.

That the mystery to me. I don’t know what realistic goals or expectations are. Isn’t it meant to have a space among modern consoles, or is it just appealing the retro gamers?

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 30th, 2021, 3:24 pm

Just reading this article. The comments are pretty mean. But in my experience that's par for the course for that site.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2021/06/ ... ers-hints/

I don't really understand the attitude. People get obsessed with the technical specifications, but I think there's something to be said for system with pick-up-and-play games.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » June 30th, 2021, 3:30 pm

Thanks largely to Smart Phone games, anything not a meaty game is viewed with disdain. Which is a shame, as there are times a quick, simple game is far more enjoyable than an overcomplicated RPG requiring grinding to get enough of item X to forge an item for an obscure quest to get an item that makes the final areas tolerable.

LoganRuckman

Postby LoganRuckman » July 1st, 2021, 8:18 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:Just reading this article. The comments are pretty mean. But in my experience that's par for the course for that site.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2021/06/ ... ers-hints/

I don't really understand the attitude. People get obsessed with the technical specifications, but I think there's something to be said for system with pick-up-and-play games.

https://screenrant.com/intellivision-am ... reats-ceo/

Funny you bring up that article, because apparently Tommy Tallarico threw a temper tantrum over it. I get his frustration to a degree, but this is not a good look. Talk about bad PR, which this unproven console cannot afford right now.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 1st, 2021, 2:19 pm

The problem is that Ars is made up of a lot of know-it-alls that scoff anything that's not bleeding edge. A lot of them were saying how the Switch already fills the multi-player "couch play" market, but I think it's lacking in that regard.

When was the last time you set up a four player game on the Switch? First, you need to make sure everybody has a profile and is signed in. Then you have to go through the whole controller assignment screen, which is a pain. If someone selects the wrong controller configuration or hits a button too early, you have to start over. It's a hassle.

Granted, it's still ten times easier than setting up local coop on a PS4 or XB1.

But there's something to be said for just grabbing a controller and start playing.

Return to “Modern Gaming”