Intellivision Amico Info

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
MSR1701

Re: Intellivision Amico Info

Postby MSR1701 » July 18th, 2021, 9:59 am

If the price was lower and the physical media the main focus of game delivery, I'd be far more interested.
As it presently stands, I'll stick with my Switch n Evercade and keep to my plan for an Evercade VS when that s out. At 129.99 for a system n two carts combining to about a dozen games, plus compatible with almost all of the other Evercade game carts, the VS has held my interest for upcoming system far more than the Amico.

Though I must say the Amico rated higher in my mind than the recent VCS, which I only remembered exists while typing this...

ASalvaro

Postby ASalvaro » July 19th, 2021, 1:54 am

Robotrek wrote:
ASalvaro wrote:
Robotrek wrote:
I've seen far better looking shmups on plug and play consoles from the mid 2000s. That game looks slow and boring.

i could have posted the most epic game and the response would be the same..the console is not for you and that's cool

You know what? I genuinely believe you're Tommy. Your first post ever on this forum was singing the praises of Tommy and the Amico. Who comes to a forum that you've never been on before, and with all of the broad topics we discuss, it just so happens you want to push an unusual amount of praise on a system which in 2019 still had very limited details? And when I criticized it, you said "Welp, it's just not for you ". I've heard Tommy say that a lot in interviews about the Amico.

So yes, I legitimately think this is Tommy's sockpuppet to try to fake hype for this thing. Welcome to our decades old community, Tommy. Enjoy your stay.

lol dude i'm NOT Tommy..i've been coming to this site for like 15 years just never posted until i was interested in talking about the Amico because i owned an Intellivision back in 1981 and i love the idea of reimagined Intellivision games...i know Tommy but only online

Voor

Postby Voor » July 19th, 2021, 3:02 pm

Whatever happened to “it doesn’t look like something I would be interested in purchasing, but I’m happy you’re excited for it!”?

I look forward to your review. It’s unique, and sometimes that works and sometimes it doesn’t. Nintendo, arguably the biggest name in video games, has had some surprise hit and some misses as well.

I’m rooting for the Amico, because why not?

Robotrek

Postby Robotrek » July 20th, 2021, 1:44 am

Voor wrote:Whatever happened to “it doesn’t look like something I would be interested in purchasing, but I’m happy you’re excited for it!”?

I look forward to your review. It’s unique, and sometimes that works and sometimes it doesn’t. Nintendo, arguably the biggest name in video games, has had some surprise hit and some misses as well.

I’m rooting for the Amico, because why not?

I'm not telling people not to waste their money. I buy pointless things all the time. But I'm not going to get all upset because you say some less than favorable things about something I want to buy. Sorry I wasn't in agreeance that some flash looking shmup with unfinished animations looked "good".

And no, I'm not being facetious when I say "flash game". There are flash games that look better polished, actually. Here's a good example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESsTtRFBtvE

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » July 21st, 2021, 10:02 am

Flame war about a console that has not been released yet? Calm down. I might be great or it might be trash. Since no one has played with it yet as it is a year late in coming out. It is hard to see it thrilling anyone who is under 20 and addicted to minecraft and fortnite but us oldies might find some joy in it. We shall have to wait for the console to come out to see what it is like.

For me in the end I decided, what the hell I will get a new VCS. £500 to get it over to the UK and through customs, which is too expensive. Where as I can buy the Amico in the UK. I will wait and see it could still be a smash.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » July 22nd, 2021, 8:21 am

ASalvaro

Postby ASalvaro » July 22nd, 2021, 8:08 pm

the best hands on Amico video yet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKpyGj__YGo

Voor

Postby Voor » July 22nd, 2021, 11:21 pm

Personally, I think it looks like an absolute blast with friends……

BUT

And it’s a big one (and ties into another thread)

Couch friend gaming is tough to come by these days, and I think the gamers today who are most likely to be playing with their friends on the couch are younger and don’t have nostalgia for retro-styles games like we do. They’re more likely to be playing rocket league or something like that for a console they already own….as opposed to dropping $250 on kind of a one trick pony (even if it’s a good trick).

Robotrek

Postby Robotrek » July 23rd, 2021, 12:51 am

Voor wrote:Personally, I think it looks like an absolute blast with friends……

BUT

And it’s a big one (and ties into another thread)

Couch friend gaming is tough to come by these days, and I think the gamers today who are most likely to be playing with their friends on the couch are younger and don’t have nostalgia for retro-styles games like we do. They’re more likely to be playing rocket league or something like that for a console they already own….as opposed to dropping $250 on kind of a one trick pony (even if it’s a good trick).

It's only "trick" is easily obtainable elsewhere. A switch isn't far off, is far more powerful, and has plenty of games for couch co-op. Arcade compilations, Mario Kart, Mario Party, Clubhouse Games etc.. And I have yet to see a switch game that looks as lame as a lot of the stuff shown on the Amico. Hell, don't want a switch? There's tons of used Wiis out there, and it can play a lot of excellent multiplayer games, most of which still look better than most of what's been shown on the Amico.

Go ahead, say I'm starting a flame war, I'm not trying to. I'm simply saying why I think it's a complete and utter waste of time. I'll be shocked if they can keep it supported for even one year.

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » July 23rd, 2021, 4:35 am

And the Evercade VS offers up to 4 player local (should a game release with 4 players).

While Amico using local multiplayer as a selling angle is good, the Amico is far from the only system that is presently available that offers/advertises such.

Return to “Modern Gaming”