Intellivision Amico Info

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: Intellivision Amico Info

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 3rd, 2020, 9:38 pm

I rarely preorder anything but I will almost certainly be buying an Amico shortly after its release.

I've been pondering the whole physical media aspect and how RFID plays a role, and I think I have a theory. A standard RFID tag is very limited in size (2K) so that can't hold a game.

So then I was thinking maybe the tag would enable you to download the game - like a code. I wasn't too keen on that prospect, and would not spend $30 for something like that.

However, what if the game IS contained on a cartridge, and RFID is the means to transmit the game to the system? This makes sense when you consider there's no cartridge slots or ports that I'm aware of. You just hold it in front of the system and it loads up? That would be innovative and represent real physical media.

Thoughts?

ASalvaro

Postby ASalvaro » May 3rd, 2020, 11:40 pm

Robotrek wrote:Did you guys see Tommy's recent livestream with ReviewTechUsa? He was literally telling people NOT to buy his product instead of defending his product. "Don't like the price? Don't buy it! Don't like the media? Don't buy it! Don't want the games? Don't buy it!". That's a very poor strategy.

there are a couple people that follow Tommy on every video that he does bashing him and the console to the point where it gets frustrating and annoying.. i'm sure you saw those people in the live chat during the interview..you really have to have no life to get so wound up over a video game console and especially one that they have never even played yet

SpaceGuitarist

Postby SpaceGuitarist » May 4th, 2020, 5:46 am

Robotrek wrote:Did you guys see Tommy's recent livestream with ReviewTechUsa? He was literally telling people NOT to buy his product instead of defending his product. "Don't like the price? Don't buy it! Don't like the media? Don't buy it! Don't want the games? Don't buy it!". That's a very poor strategy.

Is it a poor strategy? I didn't think so.
He eventually needs to get these people out of the way. They are not the audience the console was made for. They can't be convinced and wasting energy trying to convince them will only result in a loss of time and money.

There's family cars and sport cars. Different cars made for different people with different needs.
But you don't see sport cars fans review-bombing every new family car Ford or Buick release. "What is this ****, my 1986 Maserati was faster!". So why are these people so angry.

I love the concept behind this console.
The other day I was browsing the PS store to find a game I could play with my brother.
There's hundreds and hundreds of games but only a handful that offer simple 2-player gameplay and that don't require both participants to practice for 40 hours before they can accomplish something in the game.

noah98

Postby noah98 » May 4th, 2020, 7:56 am

VideoGameCritic wrote:I rarely preorder anything but I will almost certainly be buying an Amico shortly after its release.

I've been pondering the whole physical media aspect and how RFID plays a role, and I think I have a theory. A standard RFID tag is very limited in size (2K) so that can't hold a game.

So then I was thinking maybe the tag would enable you to download the game - like a code. I wasn't too keen on that prospect, and would not spend $30 for something like that.

However, what if the game IS contained on a cartridge, and RFID is the means to transmit the game to the system? This makes sense when you consider there's no cartridge slots or ports that I'm aware of. You just hold it in front of the system and it loads up? That would be innovative and represent real physical media.

Thoughts?

I did preorder the system. I'll be happy to post a quick review here when I get mine. I think preorders will ship before they are available in stores. I would imagine the RFID tag could probably hold the entire code for a game. I'm pretty sure that's how the Mattel Hyperscan worked. It didn't need online to work. I think that would be a great compromise. Just scan your game whenever you want to play it.

Return to “Modern Gaming”