The latest Nintendo Direct shows great upcoming games, but exposes a PROBLEM for game collectors...

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
JWK

The latest Nintendo Direct shows great upcoming games, but exposes a PROBLEM for game collectors...

Postby JWK » September 5th, 2019, 11:29 am

Forgive me if this has already been posted somewhere, but Nintendo had what is possibly their best Nintendo Direct yesterday. Tons of games are coming to Switch.

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/09/04 ... ndo-direct

Some surprises include the following: SNES games on Switch, Overwatch, Deadly Premonition 2 announced, Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition, many others. All extremely positive.

So what’s the problem? Many of the other ports, remakes and original games coming to Switch— Deadly Premonition: Origins, Game Freak’s Little Town Hero, Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore, Divinity Original Sin 2, remake of Doom 64, etc— are coming soon with no preorders on Amazon, only the eShop. In essence, these games all appear to be DIGITAL ONLY. Now some of them like Doom 64 I can (sort of) understand them not being released physically. But for ports like Divinity: OS2, Tokyo Mirage Sessions and Deadly Premonition, it will make the difference between me buying the games or not. Perhaps there will be an announcement for a physical release later, but I’m not holding my breath.

This has been a problem for a while with the Switch. Devs like Capcom have released multiple collections with only part of the games on the cart. A lot of us are collectors. I have so much to play and such a large backlog, that if a game remains digital only (or a botched physical release, like the examples above) I’m inclined to skip it altogether.

I enjoy the console, but being a Switch owner and a physical game collector is becoming frustrating. I feel I have to constantly be checking for updates from Limited Run Games and Play Asia and I’m sure I’m not the only one who feels this way.

Sonicx9

Re: The latest Nintendo Direct shows great upcoming games, but exposes a PROBLEM for game collectors...

Postby Sonicx9 » September 5th, 2019, 2:37 pm

JWK wrote:Forgive me if this has already been posted somewhere, but Nintendo had what is possibly their best Nintendo Direct yesterday. Tons of games are coming to Switch.

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/09/04 ... ndo-direct

Some surprises include the following: SNES games on Switch, Overwatch, Deadly Premonition 2 announced, Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition, many others. All extremely positive.

So what’s the problem? Many of the other ports, remakes and original games coming to Switch— Deadly Premonition: Origins, Game Freak’s Little Town Hero, Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore, Divinity Original Sin 2, remake of Doom 64, etc— are coming soon with no preorders on Amazon, only the eShop. In essence, these games all appear to be DIGITAL ONLY. Now some of them like Doom 64 I can (sort of) understand them not being released physically. But for ports like Divinity: OS2, Tokyo Mirage Sessions and Deadly Premonition, it will make the difference between me buying the games or not. Perhaps there will be an announcement for a physical release later, but I’m not holding my breath.

This has been a problem for a while with the Switch. Devs like Capcom have released multiple collections with only part of the games on the cart. A lot of us are collectors. I have so much to play and such a large backlog, that if a game remains digital only (or a botched physical release, like the examples above) I’m inclined to skip it altogether.

I enjoy the console, but being a Switch owner and a physical game collector is becoming frustrating. I feel I have to constantly be checking for updates from Limited Run Games and Play Asia and I’m sure I’m not the only one who feels this way.

Some corrections Deadly Premonition: Origins is physical on Switch: https://nintendoeverything.com/deadly-p ... confirmed/, so is Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/tokyo-mira ... Id=6352132, and even Overwatch in Japan is a cart: https://nintendoeverything.com/overwatc ... is-winter/ do reasearch if you want more info?

JWK

Re: The latest Nintendo Direct shows great upcoming games, but exposes a PROBLEM for game collectors...

Postby JWK » September 5th, 2019, 7:26 pm

Well, I’ll be...

Being wrong never felt so good. :lol:

That’s great about Deadly Premonition and Tokyo Mirage. Not sure why they weren’t on Amazon, but I don’t really care as long as I can get them physically.

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » September 5th, 2019, 7:59 pm

JWK wrote:Well, I’ll be...

Being wrong never felt so good. :lol:

That’s great about Deadly Premonition and Tokyo Mirage. Not sure why they weren’t on Amazon, but I don’t really care as long as I can get them physically.

Always look up more info after the presentation.

Voor

Postby Voor » September 6th, 2019, 6:39 am

Sometimes this site is hilarious. It feels like we have the same conversation about digital ages every 3 months.

Return to “Modern Gaming”