Nintendo Switch Lite - are you getting one?

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
txsizzler

Nintendo Switch Lite - are you getting one?

Postby txsizzler » September 23rd, 2019, 8:40 am

The internet reviews are in, and they are quite glowing of this new handheld!

Here are a few of many reviews that praise the system:

https://www.theverge.com/2019/9/19/2087 ... aunch-date
https://kotaku.com/nintendo-switch-lite ... 1838237417
https://www.cnet.com/news/nintendo-swit ... itch-part/
https://www.gameinformer.com/2019/09/20 ... ite-review

The only negatives I have read, have been the audio directly from the system isn't all that great (using headphones with the included jack is good though), and the fact that it doesn't have a TV/HDMI out.

Anyhow, I ordered two of these for my teenagers Christmas gifts. We already have a dedicated Switch console, but I figure these will be great for on the road, and other mobile gaming.

So, who here is getting one? Your thoughts on the system? I look forward to The Critic's take on this.

DrLitch

Re: Nintendo Switch Lite - are you getting one?

Postby DrLitch » September 23rd, 2019, 8:46 pm

I early adopted the original Switch so I will pass on this one. However, were I in the market now for a Switch this would offer an interesting choice connundrum.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 23rd, 2019, 9:27 pm

Will this officially put the 3DS to bed?

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » September 23rd, 2019, 10:40 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Will this officially put the 3DS to bed?

It might, but the New 3DS XL, New 2DS XL and regular 2DS are $200, $150, and $80 respectively hard to believe that they did not get a price drop with the Switch Lite?

imderfnz

Postby imderfnz » September 25th, 2019, 1:41 am

should i get one i like handheld mode because i dont care about it on the tv as much and i dont have friends that have a switch . and does all controllers work on the switch lite like a wireless genesis controller ?

Buttermancan

Postby Buttermancan » September 25th, 2019, 10:41 am

Here in England the Original Switch retails for £279.99 and the Lite for £199.99. Personally I would pay the extra 80 quid for the option to play on the TV with a proper controller.
I've also heard that a sizeable number of people have drifting issues with the joycons for the original switch and that the lite uses the exact same sticks and components(though they obviously cannot be detached from the handheld).

If you only like gaming handheld or if you want to save a bit of money at christmas spending on the kids, this could be a winner!

zetax

Postby zetax » September 25th, 2019, 11:45 pm

Just like the original Switch... Is there anything for this that I can't get on PS4 or Xbone, or that I'd want on portable? Negatory, Rubber Duck... Sorry Nintendo...

Voor

Postby Voor » February 12th, 2020, 8:49 pm

Any feedback from Switch lite owners?

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » February 13th, 2020, 3:43 pm

I recently got one after sacking my Vita collection... I am only now realizing just how much I have been missing... Fire Emblem Three Houses, Breath of the Wild, Sonic Mania on the go, and that's just the game's I've really put time into, nevermind the backlog I've started to build up...

I do have an issue with the system heating up from high intensity games (Breath of the Wild, Fire Emblem Three Houses, Tales of Vesperia), and for said games the battery does go seemingly fast (then again, I tend to loose time with these games...). The battery does seem to charge fast, and the system is quite comfortable to hold, though I am having to get used to having two shoulder buttons again (haven't had a New 3DS in a while, and I haven't had a system with four shoulder buttons in ages...).

I would HIGHLY advise getting at least a 128GB micro SD card for data storage (I have a 256GB micro sd), as some game patches eat a good bit of data, and having digital games (D/Generation!!!) on hand while on the go is great!

MSR1701

Postby MSR1701 » February 13th, 2020, 3:45 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:Will this officially put the 3DS to bed?

Eventually; Nintendo has already stopped producing new game projects for the 3DS series, and while they are supporting the games and systems to retailers and the online stores, I'd say another year or two and the Switch (and whatever hardware upgrade is being discussed to boost the card memory and processors) to take over entirely.

Return to “Modern Gaming”