Nintendo lied about censorship with games.

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Sonicx9

Re: Nintendo lied about censorship with games.

Postby Sonicx9 » October 20th, 2019, 12:39 am

Rather late response because I had a rough day yesterday, but here goes nothing.

Voor wrote:Just go back and look at the times you’ve asked if you are taking others’ opinions too seriously, and see how other posters respond.

Thanks to you and others response I do feel better thanks.

Stalvern wrote:Then don't post in those communities.

Maybe should stop and take a break.

Stalvern wrote:No.

Thanks I will keep my Switch stuff and not boycott thanks.

Stalvern wrote:Yes.

Good point to try to ignore the negativity.

Stalvern wrote:Of course not!

I will stay alive I was taking things to seriously and should have said things better.

Stalvern wrote:Yes.

Next time I will not take opinions so seriously.

Stalvern wrote:Maybe take a break from the Internet in general. It doesn't seem to be healthy for you.

Probably a good idea.

Stalvern wrote:Stop reading those Subreddits.

Maybe I should or stop taking things for grant.

Stalvern wrote:If you like console gaming and not PC gaming, play on a console and not a PC. Games are for having fun. Play games in the way that's fun for you.

Thanks I will stick with what I like and not be so hivemind.

Stalvern wrote:Doing my best!

You are doing a good job as I am responding to you.

Stalvern wrote:Even a quick glance at your post history shows many, many times when you've bemoaned polarized Internet communities or asked if you take others' opinions too seriously or wondered whether the "PC gaming master race" is right or wrong. Every time, people have patiently (or not so patiently) responded with their thoughts, yet you keep going back to those topics. I'd wonder if you have issues with memory, but you also seem to remember certain posts very strongly (like the one that I made about not being interested in Persona 5), so that can't be it. I have some thoughts, but I'm not a psychiatrist or therapist and don't think that it's my place to speculate here.

All good points based on what I have been responding so far.

Stalvern wrote:I don't think that you should leave this site. First, as far as I can tell, the alternatives are much worse; this place seems by far the most level-headed community that you're involved with. Second, as much as your habit of fixating on topics and retreading the same ground might annoy people, you're absolutely never mean, bitter, or rude, which is almost miraculous on the Internet. (I certainly can't say the same for myself!) You're honest to a fault and wear your heart on your sleeve, and even if your naïveté can be a test of patience, I'd miss it if you were gone.

That said, again, I do think that you might want to take a break from the Internet, including this site, if it makes you keep asking these questions. Read a book, ride a bike – heck, play a video game – just do it for yourself and not for the peanut gallery on your screen.

I think I will stay and try doing things better going forward and not be so butthurt on opinions and controversies.

DrLitch wrote:
Going to PC gaming because some people prefer them to consoles befuddles my sense of logic particularly for something that is a first world problem and hobby. To do so because of "invisible peer pressure" or annoyance at so called elitist attitudes (i.e. you cant beat em so joint em) is to your detriment. I would rather you kept your individuality. If by all means you have or develop a natural interest in PC gaming, let me know, I could lend or give you one of mine.

Yes there are elitists in every hobby. It is an aspect of having a hobby. Yes there are those that possess irksome personalities or entertain notions that are narcisstically materialistic and smug. Take the rough with the smooth with a hobby. Accept it or do not, up to you.

For sure ditch the commune mentality - that being we are all the same thus must chip in with equality of action and outcome.

If Nintendo want to censor crap, it is their company, they are under no obligation to care what you or anyone else thinks. They will follow the money. No different to any other business.

End your life? I will take that comment for what it is - a post in haste while in a bad mood.

All the other sites you mention are echo chambers with mostly immature kids. Worst thing is people will argue over consoles. Conversely, there are hundreds, if not thousands, if not millions that would kill for something as asinine as believing in another God or worshipping a politician they do not like. Video gaming is just a hobby. That kids argue over bulls##t just makes the site boring or toxic.

and

I would prefer if you stuck around. You have your opinion and interests. At least you have an opinion, be thankful of that. One day you may not be allowed to have an opinion.

While some folks here can be quite blunt and terse, I do not get the impression anyone is going out of their way to be rude. It is a communication style and inoffensive. We have a good mix of people here from all sorts of backgrounds, political beliefs, and religion. I like that. Not many other sites offer that particularly when 50-60% of folks prefer their caves where shadows move on the walls. Echo chambers where individual thoughts are unwelcome or offensive.

I think all of what you wrote is nice and will take your advice and on the topic of elitists in every hobby. I am a big fan on Niche games (examples Japanese, Indie, smaller mid tier games, etc.) But sometimes they can have elitist that hate on big western dev AAA games calling them evil and being sadistic as it makes people in that community look bad sometimes. And true many places are like toxic echo chambers sometimes.

Voor wrote:To be clear: I enjoy your contributions to the site, but I know I have personally answered your question about worrying too much about others’ opinions, and I have nothing new to add to that topic. Others have too.

This is the only video game site I go to. Others are too excitable/feisty/hostile/etc. I appreciate the chilled out vibe here. I’ll watch an occasional IGN review video and follow a couple of Speedrunning streamers, but that’s it.

I tend to pick one site for each of my hobbies and stick with it.

I should be pick and choosy for stuff and call it a day.

DrLitch wrote:And just to follow up, many of us here own Switches and enjoy them. Yes the Switch is not perfect and most of us do not really mind that. Yes Nintendo are going to do big company corporate things. No it is not possible we can live a life free from inoffense or displeasure at another's actions. There will always be actions that will displease us, it is part of being human. Nintendo are not perfect. Neither are Sony. They are all companies competiting in an increasingly shrinking space. Gaming numbers are rising but PC gaming and Console gaming are at risk. Microsoft are spooked, they are not stupid, they have world class analyst's. Something is up and something is going down. We should embrace our gaming equipment while we can.

No platform is perfect, just game on what you like and that it.

DotNetWolf wrote:I originally chose not to get involved with this thread due to all the discourse, but after reading these last few replies as well as many other threads across this board, I have a newfound appreciation for this community. Sonic, out of all the forums and group discussion boards I have visited in my lifetime, this is easily one of the best, dare I say the best. There are posters who have nothing but love and passion for video games, and these same people are taking the time to show that they care about other posters' well-being.

No one here wants you to leave. No one here dislikes you or your opinions. Sometimes hearing a completely new perspective can be both interesting and fun. Heck, you might even learn something new about your favorite thing that you may not have been aware of in the first place! When I posting a thread on my personal thoughts towards Spyro the Dragon, I had no idea there were so many people that viewed it so differently than me. Some even made the case that it was not a very good game, and honestly it caught me off guard! I know what it is like to have your opinions challenged, and it is pretty easy to get worked up and defend yourself on a regular basis. It is okay to not agree with someone. It is okay to voice opinions about things you care about, but please be careful about how you go about sharing your input.

I will not reiterate what previous posters have already stated, so I wish you well and hope that you continue to enjoy gaming! :)

I love your points glad you are nice I should stay.

BanjoPickles wrote:As somebody who suffers from depression and anxiety, who has seen people lose their battle, I have to chime in. Sonic, I don’t know in what context you meant when you asked “should I end my life,” but I’m going to address it:

If you were serious, let me ask you this: what is going on? If you were serious, this surely can’t just be about gaming and opinions, can it? You need to talk to somebody—a doctor or a therapist—because people don’t typically say something like that in jest. I may disagree with your approach, your intensity, and many of your opinions.....but I still care about you, and I want you to have a full, healthy life that is filled with love, and warmth, and contentment. I want you to have a good life. We all do.

I will say that you shouldn’t allow the internet to be the keeper of your peace of mind. It isn’t worth it, man. The internet, as far as I’m concerned, is merely a portal of make believe where we do find a few people who share our interests. If you were to tell me that I’m stupid, or my opinion is dumb.....it’s all well and good, because I’m going to take my daughter to the park tomorrow, cook dinner, and do homework. That’s my peace of mind. Gaming is my release from stress. If gaming doesn’t give you that relief, then what is it good for?

Without nosing in on your private life, let me ask you this: are you happy? If not, is there anything (within reason) that I, or anybody else, can do for you?

For the fist point BanjoPickles I have suffered from some things related to anxiety as well. And yes I was taking the internet and stuff too seriously and not thinking straight as I did not sleep good and got constipated did not help either around that time so yes I will handle things better.

ThePixelatedGenocide wrote:Sonicx9, you're one of the reasons I keep coming back here.

You ask good questions, even if sometimes you push your own agenda a little too hard. And even then, you always care about the issues you raise, without tearing anyone else down. Do you know how rare that is?

I wish there were thousands more of you. Maybe the world wouldn't be in the shape its in.

Like you, right now, I'm struggling with a few things. Some of them are things you're struggling with too, some of them...well, I'd rather not say. But I'm not facing them alone. And neither should you.

I can give you this much advice.

Don't let the anger of social media poison you. Reddit seems like a great way to connect with other people, but the people who run it regard everyone as just another content creator. It's scoring algorithm rewards those who keep that content coming, and those who agree with the opinions of the majority. It often breeds echo chambers, and echo chambers are rarely known for a thoughtful exchange of ideas.

It's why they need to keep banning hate groups.

If a subreddit's making you hate something you love, then you don't need it. What do they offer, to replace it? Peace of mind, until their next outrage? As for your question about killing yourself - please don't even joke about it. I've seen people who tried, and suffered severe brain damage as a result. I've also known people who knew people who succeeded, and there's a wound that follows them everywhere, in the shape of someone missing from their lives.

I don't know if that wound ever heals.

All I know is - you deserve a chance at something better. And you probably shouldn't be so hard on yourself. How are you going to ever learn from your mistakes - or your victories, for that matter - if you tear yourself apart at the slightest possibility someone might judge you?

I love your advices I will take them and handle things better.

matmico399 wrote:I agree Sonic we all enjoy you being here and you should stay. But I will say the VGC is the best site and the only one I go to for gaming, outside of watching YouTube videos. Just enjoy it for what it is and don't take it too seriously it's all just in fun.

I know I am repeating myself, but you made a good point.

On a related note this happened in Amazon Japan: https://nintendosoup.com/tokyo-mirage-s ... ip-fiasco/

But to go back sorry for the long response, I know I am late, but I had a hard yesterday and a better today so thanks.

DrLitch

Postby DrLitch » October 20th, 2019, 2:09 pm

I got to hand it to you Sonicx9, you do take time to address each response to a post and you sometimes have a number of active posts and replies. Good on you for putting the effort in 8-)

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » October 20th, 2019, 4:00 pm

DrLitch wrote:I got to hand it to you Sonicx9, you do take time to address each response to a post and you sometimes have a number of active posts and replies. Good on you for putting the effort in 8-)

Thanks.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » October 20th, 2019, 5:09 pm

Hope you're feeling better today, Sonic. I've been off the forums for a few months and glad to be back.

Side note - the discussions on here seem to have actually gotten a lot better since post approval was removed!

Sonicx9

Postby Sonicx9 » October 20th, 2019, 5:41 pm

ptdebate wrote:Hope you're feeling better today, Sonic. I've been off the forums for a few months and glad to be back.

Side note - the discussions on here seem to have actually gotten a lot better since post approval was removed!

I am feeling better today fortunately and glade the discussions on the sit getting a lot better.

Return to “Modern Gaming”