PS4 and Xbox One remote play

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Atariboy

PS4 and Xbox One remote play

Postby Atariboy » December 12th, 2019, 8:47 pm

Anyone have any experience here?

Since it would be advantageous for my setup, I've been messing around with the PC and Playstation TV options for streaming PS4 games and found them pretty disappointing via wifi through my router. Picture is too dark, frame rate isn't entirely smooth, and there's compression artifacts and a very soft picture.

Would taking my PC and PS4 wired make a big leap in quality to make this setup truly viable? I assume (But haven't tested) that my Xbox One through my PC over my wireless router would be similarly disappointing.

zetax

Re: PS4 and Xbox One remote play

Postby zetax » December 13th, 2019, 9:26 am

I tried the remote-play thing with my Xbox One and PC shortly after I got it. I suppose it would work for some games, but there was just enough lag/stuttering with the game I tried (Trackmania) that it didn't seem worth it. Note: this was all done wirelessly.

ActRaiser

Postby ActRaiser » December 13th, 2019, 10:31 am

I tried it with a PS4 and Vita once. That was enough for me to not ever try that again.

I'm sure if you had the right networking equipment it would be fine, but I don't and don't care enough to try to figure it out.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » December 15th, 2019, 1:33 am

Thanks guys.

Sounds like the results won't be worth it. I still might run a couple of ethernet cables since my wifi connection from my PC is a bit spotty and I have an older Xbox 360 without wifi in the other room, so the effort won't be wasted even if I get the poor results I anticipate.

I'm surprised how badly this all works. Heck, Sony mainly was selling the Playstation TV as a PS4 extender. I'd sure be disappointed had I bought one specifically for that purpose.
Last edited by Atariboy on December 31st, 2019, 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » December 30th, 2019, 1:45 pm

Yeah, all connection issues and more lag. I wanted to play MLB: The Show outside on a nice day. It's hard enough to hit a 98 mph fastball with minimal lag, now you play over a network, and forget it.

Return to “Modern Gaming”