Gaming at night (and headphones)

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
Voor

Gaming at night (and headphones)

Postby Voor » December 19th, 2019, 11:12 pm

Most of my gaming (as such as it is) is done after the family has gone to bed in the living room. Sooo....I often have to keep the volume to a minimal. Not a big deal if I’m playing a game I’m familiar with, but if I’m not, I feel like I’m missing out.

Are there headphones that connect to modern/smart TVs? My TV has a Roku interface.

Retro STrife

Re: Gaming at night (and headphones)

Postby Retro STrife » December 20th, 2019, 1:03 am

For what system? With PS4, headphones connect right into the controller. I assume most other modern systems have similar options. The usual purpose of these is to connect a mic/headset for online gaming, but it usually works just for listening too.

Voor

Postby Voor » December 20th, 2019, 6:56 am

I use a few different consoles, so it would need to be for the TV, not the console.

Retro STrife

Postby Retro STrife » December 20th, 2019, 8:37 am

I used to do the same thing, and I used my old surround sound receiver. The receiver was like 15 years ago, but I just plugged it into the TV, and then connected the headphones to the headphone jack on the receiver (without setting up any of the other surround sound speakers).

There are way easier ways to do it, though. This article seems helpful, including mentioning a Roku method:

https://www.pcmag.com/article/362461/ho ... headphones

Voor

Postby Voor » December 20th, 2019, 12:59 pm

Whoa thanks! Looks like my Roku app will take care of that, no special headphones needed. I appreciate that

ASalvaro

Postby ASalvaro » December 21st, 2019, 4:04 pm

speaking of gaming at night i have always been a nite owl and i would play my Intellivision from like 1am until 5am every morning when i was a teen (had lots of time got kicked out of school lol) and listen to music or the local talk show here in Chicago..then when i got my Atari 800xl i would use it all night long..gaming at those hours are so peaceful..in fact nothing has changed i still game all night :lol: great memories

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 21st, 2019, 8:47 pm

This thread reminds me of the song Gardening at Night by REM.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » December 30th, 2019, 1:17 pm

If you're playing pre-HDMI games, you can simply buy an adapter to convert RCA into a headphone jack. Only issue is, there is no volume control, but the volume you do get tends to be ideal. I work from home making sales calls, and I like to play video games with my earbuds under my headset. My boss has no idea, and I'm fairly successful making sales, so it's not really much of an issue.

Of course if he ever found out I was getting high and drinking on the job...

Return to “Modern Gaming”