Cats and patches

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
velcrozombie

Re: Cats and patches

Postby velcrozombie » December 24th, 2019, 12:59 pm

VideoGameCritic wrote:It wasn't all that rare for singles, especially in the 90's.

I remember buying an album by Jewel, and it seemed like all the singles I head on the radio sounded different because they were remixed. The original album wasn't produced very well I guess.

A lot of old rap songs fall into this category.

I remember buying the album Hello by Poe back in high school in the late 90s largely because of the title track - which had a moody, industrial-rock vibe in the video/radio version (which I later found out is officially called the Band version). I put the album on to be confronted with a laid-back trip-hop version of the song that I found inferior by comparison (listening to it now it's not terrible, but I don't think her voice fits the style). The video caption didn't say anything about it being a remix (something that was usually noted) and when you're a kid and don't have a lot of money it sucks to blow it on something deceptive like that.

ThePixelatedGenocide

Postby ThePixelatedGenocide » December 24th, 2019, 5:03 pm

Budgets and strict release deadlines are an unfortunate problem no matter what you do. And sometimes the studios aren't reasonable about it, unless they're practically forced to be.

I mean, if we're going to talk about cats and patches, would anyone really mind if Black Panther got a patch for that final fight? Or if the Lion King remake was given an upgrade with more expressive faces and an actual "Be Prepared"?

And if the Cat in the Hat live action movie ended with him going to the vet?

These are all objective improvements.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 24th, 2019, 6:33 pm

Come to think of it, George Lucas could probably be blamed for starting this with his "special editions". When he was just adding visual elements it seemed innocent enough, but then he had to make Greedo shoot first.... ugh... and the rest was history.

jon

Postby jon » December 26th, 2019, 6:58 am

I remember Poe. They had a fun song called Angry Johnny in about '95-'96. It was when alternative was really popular. I remember in 1991 when Nirvana broke they called it alternative. The by around the time of Angry Johnny, alternative by the mid 90's became different than grunge. Now it was a really soft type of music. I liked Angry Johnny and hoped no one would say the song is about me. I got my wish.

Breaker

Postby Breaker » December 26th, 2019, 11:18 pm

Retro STrife wrote:My all-time favorite video game quote comes from Lunar: Silver Star Story, and goes: "Delays are temporary. Mediocrity is forever." If I recall correctly, the phrase is uttered by a character in the game who is working on a project and is telling the other characters to be patient. But the quote was also an inside joke for fans of Working Designs, referring to their reputation for delaying games.

I love the quote because it applies to real life too. I live by that quote. I have a habit of getting extensions on projects at work, and when my co-workers might rib me about "another extension??", I'll sometimes drop this quote. It's true though-- I care more about doing things well than doing them fast.

I am going to steal this. For work. For life. Forever. Amazing.

Herschie

Postby Herschie » December 30th, 2019, 12:44 pm

Bad enough that games get to deal with this. Release a flawed game, then you have to download a million patches. Now movies are doing this too.

Return to “Modern Gaming”