Anybody excited for VR?

Reserved for modern gaming discussions.
CaptainCruch

Re: Anybody excited for VR?

Postby CaptainCruch » February 19th, 2020, 2:22 am

Not really.
The first time I played a VR game was somewhere in the 90s, I think on an arcade machine by Virtuality. Though technical impressive for its time, I remember I found it very tiring rapidly.
The second time I played VR was on a tech show, where there were HTC Vive VR-headsets on show. I figured I gave it try and I was quite impressed again - it was some sort of Google VR Paint program that worked pretty well (Tilt Brush, I think it is called). But once more, it was tiresome after a short time & I felt very clumsy because you always need someone else to help - with the headset on you bump into things, walk against the wall etc.
The third time I played "VR" was with that trashy Google Cardboard VR or the just as trashy Samsung VR headset, for which both a smartphone is needed. It was just some first-person view rollercoaster or something. It was more annoying than enjoyable.

So, I see potential, and now the tech is getting more reasonable prices I'm willing to give it a try somewhere in the future. But I think VR will be more important for the business market - to show houses and stuff than for gamers. I just think it's too unwieldy to use - with the headset on you can't do anything. Now I know that's point of it, but I my opinion it's also the problem of VR.

djc

Postby djc » February 20th, 2020, 12:20 am

Gleebergloben123 wrote:
djc wrote: The Quest however is really impressive in how immersive it is because you have complete freedom of movement (within boundaries you define). Some of the games I have tried are simply amazing and I can easily see this kind of technology becoming more popular. To paraphrase EA, you really do feel in the game. On that note, I would love to see some more sports games come out for this where you play in first person as one of the players.

Good to hear. I just got my Oculus Quest yesterday (present from my wife) and I’m looking forward to giving it a spin today. Any games you recommend? Right now I just downloaded the Star Wars games that came with the package.

The Creed boxing game (based on the Rocky franchise) is really something but you do get quite a workout with it :). Try the demo which allows you to fight a single opponent.

Gleebergloben123

Postby Gleebergloben123 » February 20th, 2020, 12:45 pm

djc wrote:
Gleebergloben123 wrote:
djc wrote: The Quest however is really impressive in how immersive it is because you have complete freedom of movement (within boundaries you define). Some of the games I have tried are simply amazing and I can easily see this kind of technology becoming more popular. To paraphrase EA, you really do feel in the game. On that note, I would love to see some more sports games come out for this where you play in first person as one of the players.

Good to hear. I just got my Oculus Quest yesterday (present from my wife) and I’m looking forward to giving it a spin today. Any games you recommend? Right now I just downloaded the Star Wars games that came with the package.

The Creed boxing game (based on the Rocky franchise) is really something but you do get quite a workout with it :). Try the demo which allows you to fight a single opponent.

Thanks for the heads up. I was looking at the Creed game as it got really good reviews. So far I've tried Star Wars and Superhot (which my 12 year old loves). I also downloaded a couple of freebies including Rec Room which is pretty awesome.

I've always been fascinated with 3D ever since I saw games like Dragon's Lair in the arcade. I've been enjoying my Oculus Quest, but right now, it's something that I can play for maybe 30 minutes max. But I am digging the VR aspect of it, such as when Darth Vader comes up to my imprisoned character, it is genuinely intimidating. Superhot is a fascinating game that moves only when you do, and again, this game gets my heart pumping (not physically, just an intense game).

Gleebergloben123

Postby Gleebergloben123 » February 21st, 2020, 12:07 pm

I bought Moss for the Oculus Quest and OMG it's in my top 5 games ever that blew me away graphically, and the platformer/puzzle/fighting game plays beautifully. You control an awesome adorable mouse and two transparent globes that allow you to manipulate some surroundings. I've only put an hour into it as I showed it to my wife and she's been playing ever since. And she doesn't play video games! And absolutely stunning VR experience and even though I've only put an hour into it if this keeps up it's one of the best games I've ever played.

Here's the trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrjly2M7KbA

P.S. As I was finishing typing this, my wife came back from her run and said "Can I play Moss again?" :D

Return to “Modern Gaming”